ABC

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by Mikey, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Mikey

Mikey Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Certain markets in the ABC network refuse to show "Saving Private Ryan", Dallas is one of those markets. They are putting the show at the same ranks as the Janet Jackson thing. I wonder if they know that there are a lot of veterans in those markets who will probably not watch ABC because of that decision. I for one will be e-mailing and writing to my local affiliate to let them know of my displeasure with them.

Just for incase you ask the movie has been shown twice brfore on that nextwork, and like before it was shown uncut, with very little if any commercials.

I hope they can live with thier decision.

2. Sparkey

Sparkey Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Have you thought about writing the FCC instead?

You are correct, ABC has broadcast that same movie twice before. Since then, the religious-right of the Bush administration have manipulated the FCC rules. To broadcast that movie with it's level of violence and foul language could get those ABC affiliates to be fined by the FCC. Since the new rules are not clearly defined. The stations don't know if they are breaking the new rules until after the bible-thumpers complain. Then it would be too late and they would be fined huge sums of money. They don't want to take the chance, so they won't show the movie.

Way to go Red States!

3. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

I couldn't have said it ANY better!!! Go Blue!!!

Michelle

4. NavyDavey

NavyDavey Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    GO BLUE?

Was it not the likes of Jessie Jackson and the big BLUE people the first to raise this question of morality. You can't have it both ways.

I think the FCC has gone way overboard but, after the super bowl thing that's all anyone wanted to talk about. Now the FCC has done what so many people were screaming about, and now they are screaming again. Someday maybe we will find a way to make 300 million people all happy. GOOD LUCK in that one.

5. Jamie

Jamie Mayor of Temptation Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,168 / 5
    So maybe the chant should be "Way to go Janet!" since a lot of this is in response to her not being able to keep her top on. :?

Jamie

6. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    First off....Jessie Jackson is about as IMMORAL as one can get. And NO he isn't a right wing fanatic either. No one in the blue states is asking for anything both ways. Sparkey & I both live in Illinois...a blue state.

The ones who voted with the right wing evanlgelical christians are the ones who shouldn't be complaining when they get discriminated against in TV viewing options.

Not all christians are right wing or evangelical either.

Michelle

7. Mikey

Mikey Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    After the first showing in 2000, there was only person that was offended and wrote the FCC. The FCC then issued that the movie was ok to show, which ABC then showed again. But since the Janet Jackson Super Bowl thing, networks are so afraid to offend anyone (so much for free speech).

When it comes to networks, it is alittle strange. ABC which in this case is owned by Disney makes the decision that this show will be shown on what night, etc. Then the local affiliates can show shows that the network want or show other stuff (unless contractly, example Monday Night Football). Here in Dallas when NYPD Blue first started up, the local network decided it didn't want to show it, which a lot of people wrote to them about, they then decided to show it. Your local networks could or could not be owned by the main network. In Dallas it is owned by Belo.

A major differance between Janet thing and this is that with the Janet it was totally unexpected, with the movie you know what is being shown (unless you have lived in a cave for many years). ABC has already said it would pay any fines the FCC would fine them, which more than likely the FCC wouldn't anyways.

This really has nothing to do with blue or red at this time. What it is that local networks are trying to tell you what you should or should not watch.

8. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Although ABC says they will pay the fines, the FFC holds each license and determines whether or not that license is going to be renewed. The fine issue is really just smoke & mirrors. The fines would more than likely be paid.....but licenses would be in jepardy.

The problem is that the bible thumpers now have a mandate for their agenda. They are on the move an are now in your living room. Everyone was jumpin up & down ranting about "moral values".......well now ya got em! Rammed right up the backside....

Oh.....rumor has it "Welcome to Mayberry" was fabulous last night. I wouldn't know though........ :lol:

Michelle

9. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Dr. Jerry Falwell has launched his NEW organization as a direct result of this past election. It is clear that he has an agenda that he is going to try to force feed to all of America.

http://falwell.com/?a=p&content=1100033674

He is going to do everything within his power to insure that as many strict constructionist judges are appointed to the federal judicary as humanly possible. An absent some major scandal....he & Bush will not have much difficulty in doing just that.

Off to mingle with my fellow immoral blue staters......

Michelle aka a yankee heathen from a blue state

10. Jamie

Jamie Mayor of Temptation Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,168 / 5
    From a Yankee transplant and a proad resident of a red state, Jerry Falwell no more represents my views than Michael Moore represents the views of everyone in the blue states. Both sides have their wackos.

Jamie

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice