A summary of our trip and suggestions

Discussion in 'Grand Oasis Viva' started by GandM, Jan 28, 2014.

1. GandM

GandM Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    We were down in GOV from January 15- 25. We overlapped a bit with both Martinagirl and Blackcoupleindc. They have both written long, extensive and I think accurate trip reports. I may disagree with a few minor points but nothing substantive enough that would change any of their conclusions.

One thing that may be different is our expectations. Which is we didn't have any. We were pretty sure this was not going to be a TTR type of vacation when we booked and were not surprised when it wasn't. We had decided before we booked this that since we were going to TTR in April anyway something different was in order. Something a bit quieter where we could relax a bit more and maybe save the liver from too much damage. And that is what we got.

We were however hoping for a few things that did not appear. The lack of topless was a major surprise. We expected more to be topless and M like most women here was not comfortable to be pretty much the only topless woman on the beach. What I would like to see is signs around the pool and the beach saying topless sunbathing is permitted. This would give a reminder to all of us this is ok and let the people who would disapprove notice that this is the kind of resort it is and better book somewhere else next time.

We were expecting more people to be in the pool and more action around the pool bar. One of the things we really liked about TTR is how the pool there is set up perfect for socializing and meeting people. The potential for this is there at GOV with all the stools they have in the pool and the shallow water area.
    The fact this did not happen is not the resorts fault. The weather just didn’t cooperate. I fully expect by April with warmer weather the pool will be quite busy.

All in all we still managed to enjoy ourselves. We did meet some people to hang out with and had pretty good weather. (When you come from and back to -30 it isn’t hard to please us weather wise.)

Things I would change if I ran GOV:

1. Put up the topless allowed signs I mentioned previously.
    2. Put more chairs around the pool. There are presently about 12 plus the same amount of room in beds. They need to double or maybe even triple that number.
    3. Open Coyotes till at least 2:00 am. Open the Lobby Bar till at least midnight.
    4. Fire the DJ. Really, I mean it. He is horrid. The only time the recorded music was any good was when it got put on and someone walked away. One time at the pool he set up a beat of the same 4 bars playing over and over for 10 minutes. I wanted to take a baseball bat to his machine. In Coyotes all he wants to do is scratch the hell out of what is very good music. Frank Sinatra’s’ New York and ACDCs’ Thunder do not need any help, thank you very much. One time we had more people outside of Coyotes partying than inside. We went in for drinks and got out.
    5. Eliminate the $7.00 charge for the safe box. That’s like charging extra for a sink. It’s a necessity.

Would we go back?

That’s a big maybe. I see a lot of potential in this place. It has that gorgeous beach. It is a nice hotel and it is kept very clean. Our room was nice and the staff we met were very friendly and helpful. It has a great location being so close to the Cancun Club scene. The food is generally ok and I think in time a lot of their problems will work out.
    A lot of people were here that I did not think were hoping for a sexy open minded adults resort. I think they were just here to avoid the kids. I observed one middle aged looking lady tut tutting the Fetish Night poster that came up on one of the TVs’ around the place. There were also several people in their 70’s and 80’s and one couple I am sure was over 90. Once they get a more open minded crowd here I think things will flow naturally. One thing for sure though is this is not now nor will it ever be the kind of party TTR is. The management does not want that. TTR has been described as a frat party during spring break. Think of GOV as a Saturday night back yard barbque with your neighbors. You know, the really hot ones down the street.

On a side note. There also was a very large group of 20 something’s here. For all those young guys who post on the TTR board asking where they should go. This is it. I have never seen so many young single girls at one resort in my life.

2. desire-66

desire-66 Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thanks G. You said last paragraph as a bad thing I thought. I thought it was the best part of report and will make for a good party. Some of the nicest people we have met have been single guys and girls. With the odd shit head single guy thrown in the odd time

I think you are right. In April the pool should be more lively and warner. If the music sucks we can get someone to bring their speakers out. Maybe the resort will get the hint. Lol.

Don't freeze back home. April isn't that far away

3. GandM

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Hi S.
    Nope I didn't mean it to be a bad thing. It was just an observation. TTR usually doesn't get that many 20 something singles. There were lots of them here. Now if we can just get those young guys to pull their pants up everything will be fine.

4. desire-66

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    That is an odd mix isn't it. 70, 80, 90 year olds with a bunch of 20 something's hanging around. The resort almost sounds confused right now. Oh well. Still two months away

5. jandpyoung

jandpyoung Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Damn... Id feel bad if some 90 year old had a heart attack from all the booies in April...But I guess he would go with a smile on his face... LOL

6. GandM

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Ya it is.

There was all ages here.
    I just pointed out the demographics are all over the map.
    But I mention the older people because there were a lot of them, not the majority by any means just a lot more than you would see at TTR. Enough to change the dynamics of the hotel. As Martinagirl mentioned in her review, when she went topless, she felt people were judging her.

Same goes for the 20 something's. There were a lot of them. Many more than what we see at TTR. So many I would say they were the dominant age group.

7. desire-66

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    What did the young ones do all day ? At the pool ? Just trying to figure out if they were the dominant age group why the party atmosphere wasn't higher. Any idea ?

8. GandM

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    They were on the beach. Just like most everyone else. As reported before. Very few people were at the pool.

9. desire-66

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Boring

10. luvs2travel

luvs2travel Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

I think so many 20 something's are there because of the Groupons. I've seen at least two GOV Groupons in the last two months. Some college students we met there had gotten the Groupon deal. The prices are really reasonable for students. Maybe the Groupons are why it's so booked too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice