2+ week Family vacation... WHERE???

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by sweetchildomine, Feb 8, 2013.

1. sweetchildomine

sweetchildomine I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    In June/July 2014 we will be taking our bi annual family vacation for 2+ weeks with 3 kids ages(at that time) will be 17, 13 & 9. So we have thrown down the gauntlet for the kids to pull ideas out and where they would like to go.The youngest has never been on a plane yet, the oldest has been to Hawaii 2x's, Wife has been to the Bahams 3x's and we have all collectively been to Florida(central and gulf cost) way to mant times to count.

We have traveled extrensively throughout the midwest & SE USA over the past 6 years doing drive trips and seeing 26 of the states. We are looking to probably fly and need some advice from the seasoned world travelers as to what you think would be a good family vacation spot. The family is kind of the beach fun types but also likes to have the things(touristy crap) to do.We have mentioned Honolulu, Hi/ Freeport, Bahamas/NE USA /California/ Cancun/ Cozumel/ a 14day Carribean cruise among others.

Any advise on these locations or something better for a family vacation people?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  2. USTWO

USTWO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    try punta cana.

3. Don&Olga

Don&Olga Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    How about Costa Rica

4. twinimini

twinimini I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    i'll give you a totally different trip. It's one we took with our twins two years ago when they were 13. We flew into Vegas and rented an SUV and then proceeded on what is called the Great Circle. First we hit Hoover Dam and then it was on to Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Canyonlands, Arches, Kodachrome Basin, Mesa Verde, and Grand Canyon. We did the horseback ride down into Bryce and just about anything else you could think of. The one big one that I have always wanted to do was the white water trip through Grand Canyon.

If you like the outdoors and our fantastic National Parks, that is one great trip! If you'd like specifics Scott, just PM me.

5. twinimini

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    Last summer we took a trip that is one your family might also enjoy. We flew into Anchorage and rented an RV and did two and half weeks in Alaska. A great family experience and a once in a lifetime experience.

6. sweetchildomine

sweetchildomine I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    All of your ideas are great! I love them and I know the family would also but not for the full 2+ weeks. I would for sure. That has been the reasoning for the road trips the past years here. We have made loops around the midwest and then another year it was round about down to Fl and back up to MN. then last year we hit straight east out to the coast and then down to Myrtle Beach and then back home.

I like to be able to get them to enjoy and experience the history, natural beauty of places and then also give them time to do their thing and relax as well. I don't want this one to turn into an all out gogogogogo type of trip. We did that on our first road trip and I was fried(patients wise).
    Road trip 2006(14 days)
    Mn, South Dakota(Rapid City,Mt.Rushmore,Crazyhorse,Custer St.park,Bear Country,Black Hills Nt. Forest,Hot Springs),Nebraska(Scottsbluff, Chimney Rock), Wyoming (Cheyenne), Colorado (Estes Park, RMNP-Longs Peak,Denver, Butterfly Pavilion, Colorado Springs), Kansas (Salina,Whichita), Missouri (Branson-stayed 1 week,Table Rock Lake, Precious Moments Museum- my wife's thing, St. Louis), Iowa(Cedar Rapids), MN

2+ weeks lying on a beach to me would be heaven, but so would trouncing around Alsaka. Denali NP!!! WOWZA, how I wanna go there!!

7. twinimini

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    On the Alaska trip we did a lot of varied things that kept the kids interested. For example, deep sea fishing in Valdez, Denali bus trip for wildlife, Ice Hotel in Chena, Homer Spit, and we wanted to do one of the boat trips out of Seward but it was too rough that day. I think the most we drove any one day was 300 miles and that was only one time. We gave each kid a camera and let them take pictures like mad. We came back with 1500 stills and two and half hours of video.

Your west swing sounds like the type of trips we are used to, but Alaska was not done in a hurry, hurry basis. We stopped and smelled the salmon and got bit by the mosquitos!

8. Donald

Donald Devil's advocate Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,133 / 2
    Try an eco tour through the jungles of Costa Riac , very affordable , and an adventure.

Costa Rica Tours

9. regdog

regdog Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    LOL....I would be more than happy to book that 14 day cruise to the Caribbean or maybe even Europe...I would imagine you guys would be looking for a variety of things to do...If it were just you and the wife I would suggest TTR without a blink. For a nice family vacation I would say cruising is going to give you the best and more memorable vacation experience....Please feel free to check out my website.

10. lynnshaun

lynnshaun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    You both go to TTR and leave them out front for 2 weeks...some nice Mexican family will show them a good time. ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice