1st Timer

Discussion in 'Golden Parnassus Forum' started by JanesvilleWI53545, Aug 31, 2011.

1. JanesvilleWI53545

JanesvilleWI53545 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello; I am gathering up some tips for my Honeymoon in the beginning of November. My wife to be and I have never been to Cancun. I want to make sure I have everything in line..what to expect, what to bring? Standard swimming trunks and flip flops? How much cash to bring? I assume bringing US Dollars is the way to go. And lastly....Obviously Mexico receives quite a bit of negative press these days with the cartels at border cities. Has anyone had any problems or issues that you are aware of? I'd like to see a bit of Cancun while we are in town, but wasn't sure how safe it is. We are 33 and 34 yrs old. I've traveled quite a bit for work, so I know what looks safe and what doesn't...but Mexico is a different country all together.
    Thank you much!!!!

2. Johne

Johne Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My wife and I were there in March. We traveled around town on the buses with all the locals. We were out all times day and night. Never had any trouble or felt uncomfortable. We will be back there Nov. 1 -8. We had a blast and would highly recommend Cancun, the locals were always friendly. Just beware of the timeshare people. Hope you have a great honeymoon. John and Sandy:daveandmo:

3. Johne

Johne Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The how much cash depends on several things are you staying all inclusve? I did convert some dollars to pesos for shopping but dollars are excepted at most places. We stay all inclusive and love it. Also depends on what excursions you are going to do. I normally wait till just before we leave to decide on excursions so I can check the weather. Hope I have helped. John

4. pandagirl15

pandagirl15 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We used the bus system a couple of times. No problems! Safe as can be. We took a couple hundred in low bills and it was plenty. We charged our excursions, though. Take less clothes than you even think you'll need!

5. Popatop

Popatop Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Take an insulated mug, 20 oz or bigger. They use small cups for drinks but are happy to fill whatever size mug you have.

6. golffastfred

golffastfred Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    you will be fine ....wisconsin is closer to the cartel than you are in cancun...really !!! we go to cancun every year...the lower price resorts are ok ...food average..rooms ok...everyone is always in a good mood because they are on vacation...we stay out off downtown cancun. if you take a cab, ask prices before you go ( they all will take you for 1/2 fair..sounds like golden is having issues but we are still planning on going in march..do not use the resort phones or internet $$$$$$$. apple has rockford air in the spring in case you didn`t know...time share people are terrrible , just say no thanks and keep running!!!! sun is hot feb to april best time to go ..have friends been there in may sept and oct and still had good time ..no crowds then.

7. golffastfred

golffastfred Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    strange ...just got a e-mail from apple that they are having a getaway promotion sept 10 at rockford airport from noon to 4:00 ...NO I DON`T HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH TRAVEL... just trying to help with options...

8. HammieJ

HammieJ I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    Hello! First off congratulations!!!!! How exciting! :)

Cancun is SO amazing and you are guaranteed to fall in love with it! :) Don't listen to all the crap they feed the americans on the news about other parts of mexico. Thats like saying, "don't go to chicago because someone got shot in NJ" lol. Its quite a distance. Cancun IS a city so definitely use your city senses, especially at night time..... but I've walked in the middle of the night alone and had no problems, other than being harassed by drunk tourists. lol.

Bathing suits? Well tell your wife to only bring her thong bottom and no top is necessary! I rarely put my top on! Granted I've never been there in November.... but I've never much cared as to who has their top on or off. mine comes off regardless. screw what everyone else thinks! lol. and you... well i prefer to see the guys in the speedo shorts. (the short boy shorts) but most of the young guys wear the board short type swim trunks(boring). lol.

The hotel does have a gym if you guys are fitness nuts like me.... u might wanna bring your sneakers and gymwear.

This is my absolute favorite hotel EVER! I could live here! Amazing food, amazing service(check in and front desk ARE nice people but.... idk. They have a stone face when you first meet them. After you get to know them and a few visits later all is well! lol) Make sure you request Gamaliel at the buffet for breakfast/lunch and if he is off oscar or samuel are amazing too! They all work sooo hard!

Even though it says it includes tips, its barely anything since it's split amongst everyone. You will notice an extreme change of service even just tipping a few bucks here and there. they are so grateful and wonderful people. for a week I usually bring about a grand or so. I usually go home with money but its better to be over prepared than unprepared. I usually carry like a stack of 250 or more of ones and just tip them a few bucks here and there.

This theory that i have with the restaurants. I take a stack of ones with me to eat(no more than 10). Everytime the server comes back, he gets a dollar. if he starts coming back too often to take advantage of my "deal" then he gets nothing. If I ask for something extra, there goes another dollar. It works out pretty fair.
    Greet and take drink orders
    Bring drinks back
    help you bring your food to your table
    ask if everything is ok/get refills
    send you on your way!
    (it should usually be about 5 dollars. I'm a pain in the ass and I ask for everything in the world, plus they are practically family to me, so I usually tip like 7-10 a meal. Sometimes I just might give them a 20 and usually they dont accept it because they love me so much lol, but sometimes they do.

i am not one for the clubs, i choose the open air bars which are sometimes free(drinks are obviously extra).The bars are anywhere from 15-30 for open bar for the night and the clubs very. I've seen as low as 25 and as much as 70. I would say the norm is about 45 -50. this includes open bar. coco bongo has an amazing show that most people love!

The bus (in May) was 8.5 pesos (85 cents at a bad exchange rate). Its a flat rate for the whole ride. They are very bumpy and you can feel every shift. You'll always think they are going to hit things but usually they dont! lol. ;)

excursions: I recommend going to isla mujeres. you can do it cheaper on your own and i can explain how if youd like.... but definitely make a trip there! aquaworld (Ask for Rey or Adonis at the tiki hut by the pool) and they can help get you set up! Don't forget to go a golf cart to go around the small island for the day!
    I do NOT recommend the jungle tour. We took a two seater boat through trees, they gave us a bottle of water, and said "the end"..... not cool and a waste of 65/person.
    Xel-Ha, Xcaret, Xpu-Ha, Tulum, Chichen Itza are a little hike away..... but are definitely beautiful. They can be expensive though. I've yet to do any of them in my 7 visits to cancun.... mainly because i usually only stay for a week or two and dont have enough time to go out there and its costly.

I could literally go on all day about cancun and Golden Parnassus. They are my heart and soul. I could get it tattooed on my ass :) lol kidding! i wont! maybe for my 10th visit! lol :p

Enjoy your trip and let me know if you need help/advice! :)

9. stl_couple

stl_couple Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Congrats!!!!

10. Little Rain

Little Rain Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Little Rain

I have been to GP in both May and November and it was wonderful both times. I carried $1's with me and tipped a dollar or so for breakfast and lunch, a few more at dinner and the same at the bar. Our favorite was the Fin's Up with Guillermo. Since I don't drink a ton I used about $75 in tips. The beach there is the best and I walked 2 hours each day on it. I even came back from the Great at night after dinner on a beach walk. You will have tons of fun.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice