15 years later

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by pocodinero, Sep 28, 2009.

1. pocodinero

pocodinero Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I lived in Cancun from '93-95. Met a Mexican girl, got married and was transfered back to the "States," but before leaving Mexico, I promised her that I would take her back to live in Cancun in 15 years. Well, time flies and now I am going to keep that promise (planning to move between February and August). I just want to know if it is really a good time to move there. How is the economy doing right now? Would it be a good time to start a restaurant or retail business if I have enough funds to tough it out for at least 6 months? We already have someone willing to rent out a house to us in Puerto Juarez near the ferry to Isla Mujeres. Should I have any safety concerns there (we also have a 2.5 year old and a 6 month old)?

Any info of how the area has changed would be helpful.

Gracias.

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,254 / 14
    Certainly you shouldnt have too many concerns about safety. I know it's all over the press regarding the Mexican drug gang wars but there is very little trouble in Cancun itself. There has been a spate of burglaries recently with many of my friends becoming victims. But I still feel Cancun is a great place for a child to grow up - we have a 4yr old ourselves.

Regarding retail or restaurant business, I dont know to much about that but have seen many long established restaurants going under in the last year or so. This time of year September is typically the lowest occupancy rates and the toughest time of year for many, with things not picking back up again until Christmas. Given your timescale of Feb to August then maybe closer to the beginning of that time frame rather than the end would be a better time to start your biz.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice