Tipping Norms

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by CarieandWill, Mar 22, 2022.

1. CarieandWill

CarieandWill Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    It is my understanding that I will need cash for tipping when at TTR. Can someone provide the tipping etiquette at the resort and for the transport to TTR. We will be using USA Transfers and will be tipping in US dollars.

2. Bryan21178

Bryan21178 Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +468 / 0
    We Tip the Driver at USA $20 each way. At the resort we tip $5 a day to House keeping just leave it on the bed every morning. If we party hard in the room I leave double. As far as the bartenders $2 to $3 per drink sometimes more it just depends on how drunk I get LOL. The restaurants we usually leave $5 to $10 per meal. By all means tip these workers they bust their ass for you.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. vacationfun2

vacationfun2 I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +346 / 1
    From our and friends experiences, the USA driver gets 5-15, two have been rude and one drove recklessly. $5 for the house cleaning, 1 per drink and 5-15 for meals. Whatever you are comfortable with and dependent on the service. $200 should handle a week in our opinion.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. Funcdncpl32

Funcdncpl32 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +166 / 0
    tipping really comes down to you and how you feel about the service your getting, personally we are considered "over tippers" but we do that when we like the service were getting, but we dont forget about the others whom i believe might not be getting anything, the pool bars, they have a big jar behind the bar so im assuming its shared but the restaurant, and bash party i cannot speak about if it is shared or not,
    we kinda went as the following is our standard,
    20$ to driver each way, we used USA but at the airport the rep didn't have enough cars so he got someone else to drive us( was still done thru the app so we knew it was safe) the beer was cold and he only asked to refill his cooler with the beer we drank and openly said he pays $1 a beer, he had like 5 brands, so we still gave him 4$ a beer over and above the 20 tip
    belle boy was 5$ both entering and exit resort,
    pool bar we learned the bartenders pretty quickly as Karina speaks Spanish, they all speak English pretty good but who doesn't prefer speaking their native language but normally we start with 20$ and then adjust as we see fit but they normally would see us walking and give thumbs up to make another one, even without going up to the bar,( but then a couple dollars each time the inital is to grab attn for later in the day/night )
    bash same thing, start off high and then see how service goes from there, one night we couldn't find our server in the section so another girl remember me and would grab drinks in her sections and wave at me to grab from her section,
    restaurant varied again depended on service, the first night we went to romnaza the soup needed extra cheese shredded on top, server grabbed it no problem, two nights later we went back and i ordered the same soup and the server remembered me and asked if the cheese was enough last time, so again to us that is service to see so many faces and remember shredded cheese for the soup, he went home happy that night.
    the amazing cleaning staff, every night at bash she was cleaning the mens bathroom it was spotless, i think almost every night i gave her 20$
    cleaning staff we had a lady named Rosa, she was amazing, i believe it was 5$ a day, and Karina brought name brand nail polish and lip sticks from Canada for her, and at the end of the week i gave a extra 25$ as she was awesome, if my shoes were wet from rain the at bash she was hanging them upside down out side organized karina make up and stuff around the sink.

im not saying break the bank for yourself but we judge it all based on service, and with all the travel we have done separately and together, this place was among the best,

also something to think about, we were talking to the bartenders the one day and they sometimes prefer Canadian money, lowest paper bill is 5$ so roughly 3.5$ usa but the Canadian bills are plastic and not paper anyone coming out of the pool, they don't have to dry it out, just wipe water off and its good to go, just a idea if your comfortable tipping that high

Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
  5. CarieandWill

CarieandWill Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Thanks all. Everything you are saying is right in line with what I was thinking. I am normally a pretty good tipper, but do not want to break the bank by way over tipping.

6. mexico24

mexico24 Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,138 / 3
    Others include the: USA Transfers greeter (gets you to the front of the line), TTR greeter or anyone who touches the luggage (in addition to the bellboy), towel attendant at the pool, mini fridge restock, room service, water sports, airport assistant for return flight, etc... there are always a few that I forget about. ... maybe the DJ. Butler if you have one. If a worker brings extra hangers or any other items....it adds up.

Some tip up front, others throughout the day for drinks. Some do both.

7. Nadia & Dan

Nadia & Dan Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    It’s such a pleasure to tip the TTR staff/servers, they’re so deserving of tips.
    We’re Canadian and my husband read that the staff prefer tips in pesos rather than CND or USD because they pay a fee when they exchange to Pesos. We’ve always exchanged Canadian dollars to pesos.
    What’s the preferred tips currency?

8. Lindilou

Lindilou Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +928 / 1
    We like tipping in Pesos during the day when at pool or hot tub (Saying when wet, but have to specify!) because pesos are like laminated and less likely to stick together when wet compared to USD. Lost money in tip jar because a few $20 bills stuck in with $1 or $5 bills and couldn't figure out where it went at the end of the day!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice