Temptation (ttr) Vs. Desire (drm) Premier Membership

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by Blue, Aug 22, 2021.

1. Blue

Blue Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    Is there a difference in the premier membership contracts offered at TTR vs. DRM or DP?

I have seen a number of threads speaking to the membership but I haven't seen anyone speak about the difference in contracts offered at the different OG resorts.

DRM presentation offered 25 year - 80 nights (7 free) with 25% off for DGV, DOV, J and PS @ about $8,900. It also includes up to $500 in travel expenses Financing will make it about $11,000. I paid for 5 nights at TTR for $233/night with a cyber and promo code found on CC. I also booked at DRM for $433/night through Orbitz . Both August stays. Will this contract beat those prices?

2. MeanwhileinCanada

MeanwhileinCanada Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +133 / 0
    Our contract at DRM is a percentage off the best available rate. I've used Expedia in the past and they honored that. Their website will also offer different rates depending on where you're coming from, which is something we found out about only after booking with a bunch of friends at the same time.

That being said, 80 days for $9k seems very low.

3. Blue

Ratings:
    +27 / 0

Does best available rate from anywhere/site have to be written into the contract or that standard?

So are you telling me that with membership, the $233 for TTR and $433 for DRM would have been lower?

Also with financing, it comes up to about $11, 400. I always look at total cost. So it really isn’t the low $9000.

4. bevy

bevy Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +657 / 1
    on our TTR we have a rate match has to be in writing and emailed to them like a web shot from the site
    otherwise you could be making up a number

5. MeanwhileinCanada

Ratings:
    +133 / 0
    Yes, but like @bevy said it has to be something you can prove. In our case a screenshot has always worked. Never asked for this in our contract, but it was presented this way. Worth checking out :)

Your price would be that rate minus your discount night rate. This seems to vary by room type. The only thing I'd add here is make sure your contract covers different room classes, and at different resorts. We're heading to TTR in November and using our discount days. Some members we met had great rates years ago for rooms DRM renovated and renamed. That was a little shady and I haven't seen it, but it's worth mentioning.

We usually do 0% financing then pay it off when we get home. Premier does a 5% promotion on the balance if you pay it out early. I'd ask for the 0% financing and go from there.

I still feel 80 nights for that price is a little low, unless the 7 "free" days are in a very nice room/suite. Our membership pretty much paid for itself in ~2 trips. Honestly they're putting you in front of high pressure sales people on YOUR vacation, have some fun with it and shoot for the moon!

6. Blue

Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    Makes sence!

It list 25% for DGV,DOC, J & PS for DRM but it also says unit type: studio. Membership also list Triail. When you say "it's a little low, unless the 7 "free" days are in a very nice room/suite," what do mean by this? I thought you were saying its a good deal but then you said "unless the 7 "free" days are in a very nice room/suite."

7. MeanwhileinCanada

Ratings:
    +133 / 0
    If you're spending ~$11k and have 7 "free" days in a garden view it means your cost recovery looks like:

First vacation
    7 x $543 (website rate) = $3,801 saved (pre-paid)
    Future vacations
    7 x $543 (website rate) = $3,801 * 0.25 = $950.25, your vacation still costs $2,850.75 +tax

$11,000 - 3,801 = 7199 / 950.25 ~= 7.6 = 8 trips + first = 9 trips, and 7x8 = 56 / 80 days used. Your net benefit would be 24 remaining days or ~3 trips discounted.

Means you'd need to visit DRM a total of 9 additional times in order to break-even vs. currently listed website pricing. Longer if you're getting deals from third-party sites. If you think about it you're really paying Original $11,000 + $2,850.75 x 8 = $33,806 in committed future business with a third of that pre-paid up-front. It's a sweet deal because they can then leverage that capital at the bank! That's the negotiating power you wield walking into this, ask for more.

Yes, there's member benefits and other perks. I'm a very happy member because of the wonderful staff at DRM and the mountain of good friends we've made on trips, and because of that we're happy to support Original and their resorts. But, dollars and cents matter, and coming armed to your Premier(tm) breakfast will put you in the 1% of folks negotiating a deal :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. mexico24

mexico24 Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,164 / 3
    This is one rabbit hole that I didn't want to go down.... but here it goes....

The real question, is if you can get a better return on your money than what the membership would provide.

Paying $11,000 (7 "free" nights, and 80 discounted nights at $407 per night- DRM ), you can get, ..... 27 nights discounted (after your initial investment is spent on the discounted nights). a savings of $3,665 total. (saving $135 a night which is %25 off rack rate). The cheaper the room, the less the savings.

The investment of $11,000 has then gained $3,665 in value, after you spent your 80th night.

A conservative investment of $11,000 with a 7.5% return it would be worth $14,549 after 5 years, or 21,168 after ten years. If a person would take the return every year ($778) and put it towards a vacation without allowing accumulation, then you would get about $111 off per night, figuring a week long vacation at DRM once a week/year. Figure 7 nights for 25 years (the life of a contract) this would save $19,425.

This doesn't include the perks of membership, etc.

SO ..... memberships will work if a person was to burn through the 80 nights fast enough so the cost of the investment doesn't exceed any potential future earnings.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
  9. MeanwhileinCanada

Ratings:
    +133 / 0
    LOL, I'm going to need to see this calculated against inflation, just to be sure :). Nice review on investment!

10. Sonny&Andrea

Sonny&Andrea Addict Registered Member

Kentucky for the summer, Texas for the winter.
    Ratings:
    +488 / 1
    I have never ever, heard of a membership couple, beat the price that I pay when we go. Desire or TTR. No I have to pick and choose when I go, but let’s take for instance right now. Tomorrow we check in at Pearl (basic room). I paid $2147 for 9 nights. Tonight is our third and final night at TTR (GV) and we paid $571. If you do that math, I paid $238.55 a night for Pearl, and $190.33 a night for TTR. Now this is the lowest I’ve paid before, but I normally pay around $350 a night for DRM and $280 a night for TTR (bash). And I didn’t spend $11K upfront to do that. If you get 80 nights for $11k then divide $11k by 80=That comes out to $137.50. That is basically an advance you are giving to a resort on top of what they are going to charge you later. So if I’m stay at TTR for $280 normally, then you would have to give you a room at $147.50 ($280–137.5=147.50) just to break even.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice