Tourism Tax And The Website To Pay. Anybody Have News On This ?

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by tw1mempho, May 10, 2021.

1. tw1mempho

tw1mempho Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +270 / 0
    Got notified of the new Tourism Tax for Cancun
    Has anyone used the link provided or paid at the airport ?
    Any information would help
    thanks

Quintana Roo Tourism Tax:
    Effective April 1, 2021, all international travelers to Quintana Roo, Mexico, which includes Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Cozumel, Tulum and Isla Mujeres, must pay a tourism tax of approximately US $11. The new tax is required for all travelers over the age of 15. The tax is enforced on departure and can be paid online by credit card at VISITAX (change the "ES" in the top right corner of the page to "EN" to view the page in English). The form will request the following information: number of people traveling; name, age and passport number of each individual; departure date. The tax can also be paid at the airport, where cash will be an option. Every departing traveler must show their proof of payment at the airport prior to boarding.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  2. Brandon

Brandon Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +113 / 0
    Here's the link: VISITAX

I paid a few weeks ago for July. Quick and easy. Get a receipt in PDF form with a QR code on it that I'll print and bring. One less thing to have to take care of at the airport; comfort in knowing it's crossed off the list.

Website does charge in pesos, so I paid with card that has no international fees.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. L&E

L&E Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +318 / 1
    We were just there in late April, and the tax was supposedly in force, and we met people at the resort who pre-paid online, but we didn't have to pay anything at the airport, nor see any signs about it..

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. jandt2010

jandt2010 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    We paid at the resort this past week. Like $5/day US dollars

5. JandCfATL

JandCfATL Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +65 / 0
    This is an email that I received for our upcoming trip from the booking agent:

New International Tax
    Effective April 1, 2021, all non-Mexican citizens departing from Cancun or Cozumel airports will be required to pay a new, mandatory tax known as VISITAX. The charge of the tax will be about US$10 per person, depending on current exchange rates.

To avoid potential travel delays, we highly recommend that you complete your VISITAX payment online prior to the start of your vacation. (You can change the language to English on the upper right corner of the site.)

If you are unable to pay online, kiosks and in-person assistance will be available at the Cancun and Cozumel airports to help you complete the transaction. However, lines may get long and could negatively impact your travel plans.

Once you submit payment either online or at an airport kiosk, you’ll receive a QR code which you will need to present at airport security; if you do not have a valid QR code, you will not be allowed to depart Cancun or Cozumel.

I will pay online before departing to TRR

6. MikeandHeather

MikeandHeather Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,804 / 5
    I am by no means an expert but I have been traveling to Mexico for work (and now vacations) for 30 years and based on how this one is rolling out it feels a lot like the “Visa tax” kiosks and emails from awhile back. Like 20ish years ago. That little card you fill out on the flight down and then Immigration stamps with “180 Days” at the airport is your Visa (don’t lose it or you have to pay about $20 for a new one to leave).
    At one time travel agents and others were charging for the Visa but it turned out the airline ticket included the cost of the Visa. This new thing is a tax but I would assume it might work the same way where you actually pay the tax in your airline ticket fee? I have no factual basis for that assumption other than one of the posts above saying no one had to pay in late April?
    Anyone actually not get through their ticket gate or security because of this?

7. tw1mempho

tw1mempho Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +270 / 0
    We booked our flight in January 2021 so I do not think it was part of our ticket price, so still trying to decide to pay on line or at the airport.
    Might need some more beer .

8. JandCfATL

JandCfATL Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +65 / 0
    My trip was a re-book from last year (COVID Cancel) so I know that it wasn't included on my ticket. I'll pay online before our May 28 departure to TRR. I prefer to be safe than sorry and do not want to deal with it at the Airport after partying for a week at TRR.

9. Анжела72

Анжела72 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +110 / 0
    We returned home yesterday, airport was more chaos than normal and lines long and slow for airline bag drop / processing. We had our Negative COVID test and Exit Immigration form with us. Our airline required you to complete (paper) an affirmation of no symptoms which they handed you when you entered the long check in line for bag drop (make sure to have pen with you). Also, which created alot of confusion for most travelers, Mexico requires you to also do an affirmation statement and you must show this before you enter line of Security screening. They have kiosk type where you take picture with your phone and website pops up...however it takes a few minutes as you must log in to airport wifi then register with your email for Mexico site to complete the form. I don't know if paper form is available...you must show this to enter Security screening. With all this chaos we never even paid the Tourism Tax...and no one ever asked for documentation of it. If you can find the Mexico site for affirmation in advance and complete it would be helpful (maybe do this right after taking COVID test at TTR...which by the way was excellent service). Our flight was 12:45, USA van picked up at 10:25am...no traffic as Sunday...we made it to our gate at 12:10.

10. mexico24

mexico24 Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,132 / 2
    "They have kiosk type where you take picture with your phone and website pops up.."

Crap. I don't take a phone with me when I travel to Mexico.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice