Membership Info Needed, Please.

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by California_Couple, Dec 28, 2020.

1. California_Couple

California_Couple Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +67 / 0
    We are on the flight home from our second trip in 2 months and literally just booked our third trip while on the flight, for March. The wife tells me she wants to go 4-5 times a year. So, obviously this begs the question ... Should I buy a membership?

What I want to know is, what are the levels of memberships, and what are the benefits of each level? I know you get meal upgrade choices, preferred check in and some cool towels and robes, but that's just nothing special to me.

I refuse to sit through a lengthy sales pitch while at the resort. If I could read the membership benefits on paper, I would probably just buy it. I am also not interested in using the referral membership trial offer. I hope this doesn't come across as pretentious but I can afford to just pay the 4k for each trip. I'll lose money before I sit through a sales pitch, lol.

I'm just trying to figure out the cost and benefits of each level of memberships. How many days/weeks of visits are included at each level? Any details would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
  2. ging

ging Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +463 / 1
    I sat through the pitch and my reasons for not buying align with your questions, and it sounds like value is a sticking point.

First off, just like you, I wanted to read everything, the contract, the benefits and limits. I wasn’t allowed to take the contract with me to read later and no other documents existed, it was their word in the high pressure sales room.

From a money and value perspective it’s awful if you already have your own money.

During the pitch, they said for around 80k upfront I get better room rates and discounts of about 30 percent, the yacht (I can’t remember if there was still a fee) upgraded drinks and a few smaller perks. They wrote down that it adds up to 250,000 of value from the 80k over 25 years. To which I replied, I can make 12 percent a year on the 80,000k, that is around 10k the first year, so without calculating the compound interest, there is the 250,000k if I just keep it myself and do whatever I want with all the compounding interest.

There is a second add on, which is airline discounts. If you can earn enough miles from a airline program for 1.5 free flights, it’s not with it. That’s without counting all the money you can make on your own to finance the trips.

I’ll be honest, going into the sales meeting, I wanted to buy something. I kept telling them they had to show me value and earn my trust, but instead they flashed figures they kept writing down on paper pads. You could see their sales training coming through the pitch, it was gross.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  3. California_Couple

Ratings:
    +67 / 0
    Thank you! This was super helpful. It sounds like I will never become a member. If I can't take the contract with me BEFORE I sign it, I'll never sign it. That's a huge red flag. Honestly, 80k over 25 years is nothing. But I don't plan on going to this resort for 25 years. So that's out.

I thought I would pay X dollars a year and that would give me X days/weeks of free visits. If it's just a discounted rate, it means nothing.

Additionally, I fly nearly every week for business. I have more airline miles than my wife and kids could ever use, so that's not a benefit to me also.

4. ging

ging Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +463 / 1
    I don’t go as often as you, but our entire trips have been paid with miles. I believe you are unable to use the membership and with miles combined

Perhaps someone with a membership can break it down in more concrete figures. But anyway I looked at it, even with a massive hang over, the value didn’t even add up, it was still better to pay out of pocket.

From what I hear members are not allowed to disclose the full details of their contacts.

I really hope no one is paying loan interest on their membership, they told me they had financing and the thought of paying installment loans almost did me in.

If you read the backlog on this forum most members buy it for the perks not the value.

5. Jen&Kyle

Jen&Kyle I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6,396 / 12
    We sound pretty similar. Except your Mrs is still in the honeymoon phase where my Mrs wants some more variety these days :( And this may be a sensitive subject for some who are members so I will be direct...that 80k over 25 years is off of their published rates. I have always been able to find discounted rates beyond 30% off their published rates. Always. Their price match process is hell so that isn’t a solution. The one exception would be IF you are only going to go peak times like nye and halloween, etc. Can’t as easily get 3rd party discounts. So if paying all that EXTRA for the perks doesn’t matter to you it should be an easy decision. Some will throw in exchanges and airfare and Referrals as reasons for them but those rules are constantly changing and it sounds like you have no use for those like us. My 2 cents.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  6. Donna & Tim

Donna & Tim I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,605 / 6
    Unless you can buy someone else for penny's on the dollar from their bad decision don't' do it. The only ones I've met that these memberships have worked for this has been what they have done.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. California_Couple

Ratings:
    +67 / 0
    Another huge red flag!

Indeed, some people are just bad with finances. I would be a cash buyer.

I would absolutely do that, if the perks were more then a monogrammed towel and fluffy slippers, lol. When I fly to my in-laws in Moscow (15 hours from Cali) the first class cabin cost a fortune, but I'm getting a mini-apartment on the plane with a bed and refrigerator. It's not really worth 10k, but they make you feel like it is. You get treated like royalty.

I would pay MORE if they actually made me feel like I was getting something special or maybe some value. If I could pay 20k a year and then have the option to book 4 trips throughout the year, and still get some perks (which financially have very little value) I would do it for sure. Over 10 years they would make 200k on me. I realize a lot of people wouldn't do that, but there are some of us who would, so it's odd they don't offer it.

Thanks for those who have provided some insight!

8. mexico24

mexico24 Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,138 / 3
    So.. If I get this right you can get a Bash room for 30% off the rack rate if you get that level of membership that includes Tower rooms? The published rate in June is $915 a night, their promo sales is $411 - refundable or $350 nonrefundable.
    Would the membership rate be 70% of $350 or is there another rate they look at. If it is then that's $245 a night, not too bad, but third party sites are about the same, sometimes better, others worse. Last time we went we paid $237 through Expedia. Our next trip in June is reserved at $255/night (just because I didn't feel like waiting and searching to find one a few dollars cheaper a night). So tens of thousands to save $10 a night(maybe) and get premium drinks? Are there free nights? $80,000 is 326 nights at $245 a night.

There has to be something I am missing.

I would guess that 80K is a starting point and negotiations can take it a lot lower.

9. Caldreemin

Caldreemin Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +206 / 0
    We prefer going on a referral. The resort has clamped down on what Referrals receive unless you find someone with an older contract (which is what we do). We pay $100.00 to $150.00 to the contract owner and get all the benefits (discounted room rates, members menu and alcohol, black wristbands, etc..) without being tied to a contract for years.

10. MCP_&_HeavyD

MCP_&_HeavyD Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +330 / 1
    If interested, we are selling a beneficiary spot and would be willing to send the details if you’re interested in knowing more. Thanks

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice