Passport Dilemma

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by AvgJoes1515, Jun 18, 2020.

1. AvgJoes1515

AvgJoes1515 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Our trip is coming up in August, we have a passport that expires at the end of August but our trip is in the beginning of August. Has anyone had an issue with entry into Mexico and the US when traveling that close to the expiration date of the passport? Unfortunately there’s no way to update it between now and then, so may have to risk it. I would think for travel to Mexico it would be as long as the passport is valid, all is good. Any help would be appreciated!!

2. MandEOntario

MandEOntario Addict Registered Member

West of Toronto; Empty nesters with a hot tub
    Ratings:
    +2,674 / 4
    Would imagine that you still have time to renew your passport... perhaps there is an express service available. It's a good idea to mitigate the risk of denied entry.
    Found this on the Interwebs....
    Recommend that your passport, regardless of country of origin, should be valid for a minimum period of six months, however long you intend to stay to avoid any potential problems at the port of entry. Immigration authorities at the port of entry may allow or deny entry of any person into Mexico. If you have a passport that is valid for less than six months and you intend to stay in Mexico for a short period of time —perhaps a vacation— the Immigration Officer might allow you entry, especially if you can show a return air ticket. Notwithstanding this, we recommend that you and your family members hold passports valid for at least six months from the date you intend to enter Mexico.

3. Cokewithlime

Cokewithlime Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +246 / 3
    In practical terms, it's really more up to what your airlines policies are.

If your airline feels that your passport expiration date won't comply with Mexican regulations they will simply deny you boarding at your home airport - they won't take a chance that they will have to fly you back, at their expense, if there is a possibly that you won't be allowed into the country.......

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  4. scottydog

scottydog I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,126 / 2
    I’d do all I could to get the passports renewed prior to the trip. I don’t think I’d try to travel to Mexico with a passport ready to expire. The idea that each time I hand it to someone for inspection I’d be waiting for the “I’m sorry sir, but...” response would stress me out.

5. johng24

johng24 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +502 / 0
    Unless it’s a life and death situation, do not renew right now. They are not expediting at this time. They’re running several months behind. I sent mine in at the beginning of April and probably won’t get in it time for our July 25th trip. I would call your airline. Good luck.

6. MikeandHeather

MikeandHeather Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,850 / 5
    You should check with the airlines NOW (and get it in writing) as México Immigration may not be an issue but airlines have rules by country on how much time you have on your passport based on your return date (6 mos required for UK travel). Airline will not let you board if you don’t meet requirement.

7. Chris and April

Chris and April Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +255 / 0
    Plenty of time to get an expedited passport

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. vacationfun2

vacationfun2 I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +346 / 1
    Nope, no expediting because of covid-19. They cash your check and it is sitting on an empty desk. Hope this changes soon.

9. Hdtrojan

Hdtrojan Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +203 / 0
    Not sure if local offices are open with COVID and all but there are hubs that handle it same day. Los Angeles has one for example. It costs a ton but we got our sons by 2:00 pm same day. Got in line at 8:00 am

10. AvgJoes1515

AvgJoes1515 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Update: Hopefully useful for other people in our situation. Talked to State Dept, they said DO NOT try and renew right now. Won’t happen period. Recommended sending it in as soon as we get back to have it by time we have our next trip to TTR in March of 21. Still a ways out from Stage 2 of opening up and Stage 3 (when expedited service resumes) isn’t in the foreseeable future. Yikes!!! As far as travel and the State Dept with Mexico, as long as the passport IS NOT expired when trying to return to the US, the passport is good for travel.
    As far as travel with American Airlines and Mexico goes, which is what I am worried about...... I have a screen shot conversation with AA that they are saying for Mexico if the passport IS NOT EXPIRED on your travel dates you are permitted to fly with no issues. They explained that certain countries have different expiration rules, and Mexico falls under the State Dept rule.
    So I’m going to look out for a same day hub in my area till we leave, like what was mentioned earlier. If nothing pops up, then we’ll be a bit nervous till we’re on the plane!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice