Passport Issues

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by mrhammy, May 9, 2020.

1. mrhammy

mrhammy Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0
    SO due to this dam virus... I was to have been at TTR at the end of April, I have now rescheduled to the end of September, all is well with my plans to travel EXCEPT My Passport will expire in March 2021, a few days less than 6 months from the start of my trip. To make it even more complicated I had a trip planned for November to Cozumel and that will now be very outside the 6 months left on your passport expiry. The US State Department is telling us to wait until they are back to normal, but then i may need to expedite (add cost) to get it in time, any thoughts?

2. BJ02

BJ02 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We are in a bind as well. We lost our passports, so we applied for new ones in early March. They are "In Process", but says expect delays of several months. Our trip is scheduled for June 20th. I think we just have to wait and see. They are not expediting passports, unless there is a death/sickness in your family.

3. TigerTown

TigerTown Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. lakeboy22

lakeboy22 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +442 / 0
    It does not apply to Mexico.

5. mrhammy

Ratings:
    +33 / 0
    I see Mexico only requires validity to enter. American Airlines site says that you need a 6 month to board... if I cant get on the plane I can't get to Mexico! I have sent them an email but who knows how fast that will come back. I will update when i get more from them

6. Turbot

Turbot Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +56 / 1
    Different countries have different rules, however the passport requirements to travel to and from the Caribbean are US requirements not these countries. Most US citizens traveled using a Drivers License up to a few years ago. The US requires passports to re- enter the US. The US has always had a special relationship with the Caribbean. Not the same for other countries. As for the airlines, if they put a person on the planes without all the requirements, they are responsible and could be fine a heavy amount and are required to repatriate the traveler. I think the airlines will be your biggest hurdle, so make sure they will allow you to board. Since you still Have your passport, you can always return home on an expired passport. I have a green card and I have to produce it at check in in US and Mexico. Sometimes they request to see it at Immigration in Mexico to make sure I can return to US since I do not have a US visa stamp in my passport. Of course I have to produce my passport and green card at immigration in the US. I have two trips booked to Mexico, beginning of July (TTR) and middle of September(Breathless) so I have my fingers crossed. July was rebooked from May and then June.
    Good luck! I agree with TigerTown, I truly Believe the Mexican Immigration will Not stop you from entering.

7. Turbot

Turbot Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +56 / 1
  8. Stacia_and_John

Stacia_and_John T&A Tour Guide Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4,603 / 14
    Thoughts...

I have travelled to Mexico with a Passport with less than 6 months until expiration within the past 4 years, and nobody said anything about it going in or coming out. Anecdotal, I get it. But, we Were a bit nervous as we had dropped the ball and Completely forgotten about trivial things like Passports expiring in all the flurry of buying open bust and gartered lingerie. Priorities, son!

That being said, get the updating process started right now, find a reputable service with a relatively-minor upcharge for expedited service just in case. The turnaround I was originally looking at was 6-8 weeks, but that made me nervous, so I paid $40 and the new issue was sent to me... I think I received it in 11 days. The keyt hing was to start the process.

9. johng24

johng24 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +502 / 0
    Is anyone that has been waiting for their passport having any luck receiving it?

10. mrhammy

Ratings:
    +33 / 0
    on June 2nd they changed the site message, no longer saying dont send, but rather they will work them on a first in first out. Mine went in the mail on Saturday, I will update when they cash the check (they will do that ) but they say it may take months to get them, I have until mid-September. If we get to 30 days to go I will try and get things to happen with expediting but that's months away

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice