Is Coronavirus Going To Affect Your Trip?

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by EuroCpl, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Noah

Noah Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 1
    Our rate for our April/May trip becomes non-refundable at the end of the week. Given uncertainty and the steps being taken by other countries/the USA/issues with childcare, we probably have to cancel. It’s a bummer, but I hope the virus is contained and that it’s more of a media overreaction rather than something that can kill hundreds of thousands +.

2. D&T

D&T Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +495 / 0
    FYI, that’s the part of the quote we gave the thumbs up for, not about you cancelling.

3. ging

ging Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +463 / 1
    I’m not going to cancel, I’m going to ride or “die” until the late minute.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. EuroCpl

EuroCpl Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +80 / 0
    Very interesting thread. However, it is not clear if the calculation takes into consideration the different health infrastructure level of each country as well as the average age of the population in each country. Number make sense only when other considerations are taken into account!

5. ging

Ratings:
    +463 / 1
    That’s a good point. The set of data is everything outside of China. I don’t know if smoothes it self out or if you have to sorta normalize the rate

6. ging

Ratings:
    +463 / 1
    I read that some people think it’s over blown, here is a good, simple image that helps you understand the messaging and why it’s so important.
    5C8BB3C5-D8FF-411C-9733-8648E1620542.jpeg
    A51EED18-34D0-4F4D-A385-67B49D7950A0.jpeg

It’s neat to think if its successful here in a hot zone, the same people will be like “see I told you over blown” without acknowledging the 100s of thousands of people like me basically staying on lockdown to not screw this up.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Jes

Jes Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +298 / 0
    Also keep in mind that these death rate stats don’t include all cases because not everyone is screened. The death rate is probably lower. The panic is ridiculous. People are acting like they’re not out there spreading disease all the time, and then now they’re buying up all the bleach and soap? You’re not making it better, and now no one else can clean up after they cook dinner. Just wash your hands and don’t touch your face. You don’t need all the soap.

I work in health care, and no plans to cancel my trip.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  8. EFish

EFish Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +485 / 0
    We are set to travel in 9 days, but I’m becoming concerned. My fear is not of getting sick but rather getting stuck or quarantined somewhere. If I didn’t have kids, I’d be less worried. Not sure what to do :(

9. ging

Ratings:
    +463 / 1
    I’m more fascinated by where the messaging breaks down and why people do what they do. At some point, where told by professionals what to do, then it’s translated into panic.

10. Noah

Noah Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 1
    Wish we could, but booked as part of the takeover and it’s a 45 day cancellation policy. Grrr.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice