Is Coronavirus Going To Affect Your Trip?

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by EuroCpl, Mar 9, 2020.

1. britsrhot2

britsrhot2 I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +749 / 10
    Total paranoia created by the media . Chances are if you are a healthy person without any pre existing health issues all you may experience is symptoms no worse than the common cold ........
    But lets all rush out and empty the shelves of toilet paper in case we get explosive diarrhea!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. BigPapaPuff

BigPapaPuff Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +280 / 2
    1. Flu vaccines are never totally effective, you also can protect yourself from this virus. You do what you would do for flu or any bug going around. Not run to the store and buy all the TP or bleach.
    2. Your avatar shows your young and healthy. If you did get it you would likely get no more than cold-like symptoms. If elderly with health issues then extra precautions make sense. The vast majority of deaths are older and susceptible people.
    Not trying to argue with you but this isn't the plague!

3. ging

ging Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +463 / 1
    I like your comparison to the flu, because I think there is a lot of gold there. To say the flu vaccine is never totally effective and compare it to a novel virus breaks down for a few reasons. The flu every year spreads among our population unabated to the masses. For example, during 2017-2018, flu vaccination prevented an estimated 6.2 million influenza illnesses, (Vaccine Effectiveness: How Well Do the Flu Vaccines Work? | CDC) There is evidence the vaccine slows down the spread and protects a huge number of people. The flu isn't the new kid on the block. Our bodies have anti bodies built up, but not this novel virus. Our bodies have never seen it, there isn't a natural way to protect myself.

Your argument that old people and young are mutually exclusive to this breaks down again when you look at any compartmental models in epidemiology. You cannot contain the spread between the distribution of high risk people. If I get sick, then I pass it on, and then on it goes, its indiscriminate. This works by us all taking high precaution, to protect our elderly, our families and our communities. Its not about myself as much as its about humanity.

This might not be the plague, but by numbers only, could be 3x worse than the Spanish flu if the death rate is accurate. The seemingly extreme measures we've taking have probably helped the containment effort and slow the spread. My guess is that we'll probably have to implement the same policies as China, Italy and South Korea. I just don't know how that will go over here.

Chinese doctor who raised alarm over coronavirus dies from disease, hospital confirms He was 2 years younger than me.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • List
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  4. ging

ging Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +463 / 1
    Which version of H1N1? The Spanish flu saw a one percent death rate. 2009 Swine flu: 0.01-0.08. Corona is batting at 3%. I think sometimes people translate being actionable into panic. I understand that some places aren't as impacted as much as my city, im not panicking, im going by the facts, the numbers and im just doing what anyone should do to help curb a pandemic.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  5. MNnice

MNnice Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +375 / 0
    Wait...the whole country of Italy is under lockdown because of U.S. politics?

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 7
    • List
  6. mcingr

mcingr Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +505 / 1
    Nope, we're not smokers, vapers, immunocompromised, of advanced aged so the worst that could happen to us are some annoying symptoms.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  7. Waterlvrs

Waterlvrs Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +584 / 0
    But perhaps the people to whom you pass the virus might not be as healthy/lucky as you?

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • List
  8. BigPapaPuff

BigPapaPuff Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +280 / 2
    Unless everybody stays locked in their homes it's probably going to spread everywhere. We should focus on people that are most at risk of complications and deal with it. Not grind civilization to a stand still.

9. SharonTerry

SharonTerry Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +373 / 0
    18 days until vacation, can't wait! Haven't thought for a minute about our vacation being interrupted to be honest.

• Like Like x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. K*G

K*G Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0
    Worst case scenario I will be wearing an undergarment as a face mask around the resort ;)

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice