Is Coronavirus Going To Affect Your Trip?

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by EuroCpl, Mar 9, 2020.

1. EuroCpl

EuroCpl Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +80 / 0
    We are a bit stressed at the moment, how this Covid-19 will develop in the following weeks. We hope there will be no travel restrictions to/from our country and will not ruin our first ever trip to TTR.
    Anybody else has similar concerns?

2. D&T

D&T Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +495 / 0
    We’re not worried. Just amazed at the panic. Not to belittle it but H1N1 was way worse and far less panicky. At here in the U.S.. oh well, hope your trip goes off without a hitch.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. EuroCpl

EuroCpl Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +80 / 0
    I absolutely agree with you. We are more concerned about the restrictions they might take due to the panic! Fingers crossed no ban in flights from Europe!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. ging

ging Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +463 / 1
    I want to make the disclaimer here that I am not trying to drum up fear, but this is my point of view. Also as adults, please parse this post for what is anecdotal and scientific evidence. Search for yourself what is fact and make the best decision for yourself. Good luck!

In another post I said I was flying from SEA to SJC for work often, shortly after that post, work restrict travel for all employees. I work for one of the big tech companies, (Facebook, Google, Amazon) they've all told employees to work from home. I've been sitting around my house for the last few weeks waiting.

The number of cases out there and the number of CONFIRMED cases are two completely different figures. This is the secret, there are far fewer testing kits than are needed. Like, orders of magnitude fewer than are needed. That's why the bar for getting tested is so high and why the number of "confirmed cases" is so low. Since I am in a hot zone for the virus, if i had symptoms, id never get tested. This leads me to believe the virus is much more widespread and less lethal. If the data set was bigger, by the numbers it wouldn't be as bad. This is going to go on for a year until there is a vaccine. This is where the panic comes in, we have no way of protecting our most vulnerable in our communities without a vaccine.

Italy to performing mass quarantines, China did the same. There are rumors going around my state might go under quarantine, Coronavirus: Health Director Says Quarantines Of Infected US Regions Possible In the next few weeks it might happen and I wont make it anywhere.

Im just waiting to see what happens. It sucks this happened while I have awesome vacation plans. I am going to TTR in April and EDC in May, im flying out to Las Vegas at the end of this week for Art of the Wild, I'm on the fence if ill even make it there, heh.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  5. BigPapaPuff

BigPapaPuff Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +280 / 2
    This whole thing is becoming rather laughable. The media is acting like it's the Black Death Part 2 when for the vast majority of people who get it will suffer cold-like symptoms. If you're in poor health, elderly, have respiratory issues, poor immune system, going through chemo then some concern is warranted. CDC announced yesterday that 21,000 people have died from the flu so far this year in the USA. Nobody seems to give a shit about that. Perspective is needed but sorely lacking!

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. iowa farmers

iowa farmers Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +995 / 10
    Do what they have to to change the economy and have a chance at this next election.. pathetic. I hope we wake up.

• Agree x 7
    • Disagree x 7
    • Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    • List
  7. Garry n Jo

Garry n Jo Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +677 / 9
    Its all about politics and timing.

• Disagree Disagree x 7
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  8. BigPapaPuff

BigPapaPuff Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +280 / 2
    I'm not trying to pretend it's nothing but this is getting nuts! Two years ago the flu was bad and killed about 60000 people in the US. I remember the media covering it but not leading every newscast with it

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. ging

ging Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +463 / 1
    The perspective is that there is a vaccine for the flu, not for covid19. You have ways to protect yourself with the lfu. The flu has a death rate of around iirc .02 and this has a death rate of 3, currently being reported. I dont really watch cable news so im not justifying anything theyre saying.

10. MandEOntario

MandEOntario Addict Registered Member

West of Toronto; Empty nesters with a hot tub
    Ratings:
    +2,674 / 4
    Respective regulators may choose to impose travel restrictions (which can also invalidate travel insurances if not followed). Who knows. Go with the flow and stay positive about your upcoming vacation.
    At this moment, we (and our family members) are NOT wearing masks, nor working from home, nor socially isolating. We're still going on with our lives and still getting with friends, and going to crowded public places (for now). We do not live in an outbreak hot spot. We do have 2-3 weeks of food on hand (in case of imposed or self-quarantine... our daughter works in the health field, and who knows what she'll bring home to her own family and us from her family medicine practice). We are also washing hands frequently with soap & water, keeping hands away from face and minimizing kissing/shaking hands with others. We're also trying to avoid Dr's offices, hospitals and airports (not paranoia, just prudent perhaps).
    We've been away twice this winter, however our additional vacay's down south are now on hold until COVID-19 blows over. We're not being ostriches nor hermits. Fortunately, we're healthy overall, and do our best to keep it that way. People will rightfully of course do as they please, and hopefully resist the Temptation to judge us, others or impose their individual choices. It's an adult discussion and we all understand that it's a dynamic situation. We're not panicking nor fear mongering. We try to keep the coronavirus conversation civil and do our best to stay informed with the facts from credible sources. Sometimes asking questions, or sharing personal practices or opinions, can become lightening rods for attention and keyboard warriors. We say, "You do you."
    As with 'seasonal' influenza, H1N1, H5N1, MERS, SARS or whatever the COVID-19 situation becomes, some people will hyper-prepare/hyper-react and some others will do nothing at all ... Most of us will do something in between.
    Candidly right now, we're much more worried about how long it will take for financial and commodity markets to stabilize and recover!

Corona.jpg

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • List
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice