Does The House Keep A Cut Of The Tips?

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by muskyfins, Feb 11, 2020.

1. muskyfins

muskyfins Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +250 / 1
    Can anyone confirm if the house keeps a cut of the tips given to staff members?

I asked one of our cocktail servers at Bash last year (who was awesome) and several of us took good care of her. I probably gave her $100 myself over the course of the week and I know some other folks were generous with her. I asked here if the house took a cut and it was unclear, but it sounded like the house actually kept all of it and she got a percentage.

I understand the house taking a cut (10-20%) and distributing to non-tipped personnel, but it would suck to think I'm trying to reward someone going out of their way and then the house is taking the money.

2. Pat369

Pat369 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0
    I'm curious as well. I haven't been yet and honestly wouldn't have even thought about my tips going anywhere other than to whom I gave it too, unless it was in a tip jar at a bar or restaurant. I'm looking forward to what the more experienced TTR'ers (is this a word) have to say.

3. Sonny&Andrea

Sonny&Andrea Addict Registered Member

Kentucky for the summer, Texas for the winter.
    Ratings:
    +473 / 1
    Following.

4. MandEOntario

MandEOntario Addict Registered Member

West of Toronto; Empty nesters with a hot tub
    Ratings:
    +2,674 / 4
    Easy solution that we've used a lot. Tip discreetly with unseen, folded money in a two-handed handshake when you're one-on-one with the individual, and not in view of other workers, and make it clear it's for him/her only. If they choose to declare and share, that's up to the tip recipient, and not in our control. They seem to appreciate that and can easily and quickly palm it into their pocket, bra or wherever. We also do our best to remember to tip the non-typically tipped folks too, like beach groomers, cleaning staff and groundskeepers.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  5. muskyfins

Ratings:
    +250 / 1
    I've done this as well. But she said something about not being able to keep it for herself.

I'm guessing, it's a zero tolerance situation. Get caught and you'd be blackballed form the industry. Too risky.

6. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve CCC's The Dude Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6,163 / 7
    I figured they split tips, but like within their respective positions. For example, all servers at bash would put their tips together and split, all bartenders at the lobby bar would split at night. But if Lordais works her day shift alone at the lobby bar, she keeps it all. It seems crazy to think that everyone would put all their tips in, and then they split them for every worker, almost impossible when people arrive and leave at different times.

I know I have seen at the premier bar the break out. Everything goes in the same jug all day, and then when the first person is leaving, the jug gets split. Then obviously when the one person is left, they keep what they are earning.

7. muskyfins

Ratings:
    +250 / 1
    It's a little weird, but much better than the house keeping it.

8. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve CCC's The Dude Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6,163 / 7
    Well I am not saying this is 100% accurate, but it's what I think happens.

I don't think that is all that weird. If you work at a large restaurant in the states that pulls tips, it would work the same way. All the servers would pull and split their tips , the busboys do the same, and the bartenders pull and split as well when the first one leaves for the night.

9. MajesticMelons

MajesticMelons Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,746 / 3
    I heard the same as Steve but can't confirm its true. I am there at the end of March and will put Patric the Gm on the spot and ask. Im hoping it is not true and the split with the back of the house which I am ok with. If the house is taking anything he will be getting s piece of my mind. Also i think he is on face book maybe a ask there is order

10. dikfore

dikfore I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +447 / 0
    From what I have been told is that they pool tips and some are shared with non tipped workers, but the house itself doesn't take a cut.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice