Lobby(conversation) Bar Under Construction

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by MajesticMelons, May 7, 2019.

1. Joe&Heidi

Joe&Heidi Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +324 / 6
    I noticed lots of cracking in the tiles in the bar area (not the slick white tiles). Not really sure about cause or importance...but my guess is moisture/poor install.

I also noticed a lot of low quality installations, especially in the lobby and public bathrooms. There is a certain amount of "magic" and lots of stimulating things to look at so it's easy to miss. I can only I'm imagine how it looks under the surface. Not going to post all the things, but look closely if you care. Lots of people have noticed the wall prints pealing off.

Also the accessibility comment I believe. There is no ramp or accessible way (that I know of) to get from lobby to the pool or any of the resturaunts (except Sutra). There is the big ramp from Bash to pool, but there are steps from the lobby down to the lobby bar/Bash. The only way I know of would be go out the front door and down that super steep driveway and go up the side of the resort where tour groups walk to the beach near quiet pool.

2. FFC/WBA

FFC/WBA Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +573 / 0
    Possibility is more like the water "dripping through the ceiling on both sides of Lobby bar... buckets on floor... had a great slide on the wet floor yesterday !! water dripping again this morning.. Mmmmm

3. teamDMFP

teamDMFP Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +566 / 1
    When we were there last week we had one evening with an hour or so of rain, which of course caused it to leak into the lobby area (again). A couple days later they were replacing drywall, etc. Gotta wonder how frequently they do that since they never seem to actually fix the root cause of the leaks.

It's good to see that they're always fixing the resort...unfortunate though since it's not even 2 years old yet!

Won't stop us from coming back though...

4. Jen&Kyle

Jen&Kyle I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6,396 / 12
    We had heard from our butler that they have consistently had trouble with that flat roof above the lobby bar and lobby and the related drainage. In early April they were drilling into it from above trying to install some sort of piping/drainage system possibly.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. matchandherbetterhalf

matchandherbetterhalf I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +3,027 / 4
    When they got the reno done in only 1 year, my first thought was: "uh oh...they must have cut some corners". Such a beautiful reno...would be a shame if widespread problems develop.

As for those slick white tiles in the lobby, they create a skating rink on rainy days. Sean wore sandals made of flexible clear plastic last April when it poured rain, and he literally could not walk in the lobby in them. He had to take them off and walk barefoot after nearly falling 10x in 25 feet. There were half a dozen staff members all over the lobby at the same time with mops trying to keep the tile bone dry. Replacing the tiles would be a good idea, despite how glam they look.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. typeoxpress

typeoxpress Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +317 / 1
    I cant say that they cut corners, they may have just decided against doing everything right the first time. I know that the grand opening week back in 2017 which wasn't even the first week that they were open after renos but they had major problems with water in the Bash area and them into the dining area below. They replaced that plastic pool bar within 4 months when our friend went in February, March or April. There are only 3 choices when it comes to construction; Time, Cost and Correct but you can only choose 2.

Additionally, water is nasty when it comes to any construction project. My guess is that there is either 18 months of absorption, trapping or leaking water wither it be water pipes of just the rain getting to where it shouldn't, plugged drainage or faulty construction.

Putting everything in perspective, places like Las Vegas are constantly building, rebuilding or rehabbing so is it really any different than anywhere else?

Be there in 2 weeks I'll have to check it out...

7. Restling

Restling I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,612 / 4
    I remember a report from @ScubaSteve... not sure what thread it was on, and he said his wife had some architectural knowledge, and she said the way the flat roof was done, is a leak waiting to happen. Flat roofs are always a poor idea, and one that’s allows for traffic, like that one is even worse.

8. FakeNewsTeam

FakeNewsTeam It's a matter of time, but time is all we have! Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4,598 / 13
    I heard they had used Elmer’s Glue as a cost savings measure when they installed the tile;)

9. Restling

Restling I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,612 / 4
    Found it.

• Form over function - like I said Elyse does this building stuff for a living. I made her promise to not go all nerd crazy on this stuff when we were there. She mostly was able to laugh it off. But the main thing she said is they will continue to have drainage and leakage issues all over unless they do something major. She said the top part of Bash and all around isn't properly built, and their or no rain gutters or downspouts anywhere. (she said lots more that I am not getting into on purpose, haha). She said "Normally architects come up with all this crazy stuff that looks great and impresses everyone. Then the engineers come in and basically tell the architect how all those dreams aren't realistic, and they need to settle somewhere in the real world in between esthetics and functionality. But in the case of this project that doesn't seemed to have happened and no one came in and redesigned many of the new features; toning them back so they can function in reality.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. wild1s

wild1s Naughty 'n Nice Registered Member

Ratings:
    +3,878 / 9
    We just got back. There was a major leak near the lobby bar one day. They spent the next 2 days working on it and put new drywall in the ceiling. The next day it was a waterfall again!

Sam says that until they put a membrane (sp?) on the roof over the lobby, there will be problems. That area on the 2nd floor serves no purpose that I have ever seen.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice