Trip Review 4/7 - 4/18 (it's A Novel)

Discussion in 'Temptation Resort Reviews' started by Matt and Lisa, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Matt and Lisa

Matt and Lisa Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,756 / 5
    Arrived at the airport around 4:30p and lines at customs were fairly long at that time. We ended up waiting about 40 minutes to clear customs and move on to grab our bags and walk through the tunnel of carnival barkers out to our awaiting USA Transfers driver. The ride to the airport was good and as expected; nothing more, nothing less. We paid the driver at arrival for the trip there as well as the return and shortly after we arrived we had a confirmation email stating the time the driver would pick us up on the way home.

We walked in the lobby and were directed to the tower check in desk, which had a line. I didn’t notice another check in line for other guests so I’m not completely clear why they would specify for tower when it seems to be for everyone, except members, which was around the corner. We waited for a while there while it seemed like staff was available, but not ready to check in guests as they had 4 staff members at computers, but 2 were actually doing work. I’m sure this was just bad optics and they had a function, but after getting off a 12-hour trip from Alaska and being ready to get to our room and settle in, this was slightly annoying. They brought us drinks in line and cold towels which was very nice. There was some said before the trip about the front desk taking a deposit and this was indeed the case for us, $200. After the wait we got checked in and headed to our Lush Tower room. We got to the room and were impressed by the space in the room and the view. The room also offered some privacy from the tower rooms around it by virtue of the center location. To some this may be a drawback for those that prefer to entertain their fellow tower guests, but it was good for us. We did not have any issues with the room whatsoever. The cabinets worked like they were supposed to and once we figured out which switch operated which light we were all good there as well. The bed was generally Ok. It certainly wasn’t the best we’ve ever had at a hotel, but it was decent enough that we got a good night sleep once we were finally in bed.

At this point the time was around 6:30 and since the pool was closing at 7 we did what anyone would do, put our suits on and went and sat in the dying sun as it set behind the hotel. We got our 30 minutes to feel like we are finally on vacation because we were in lounge chairs in our bathing suits. It was then time we went back up to change for dinner. We had read a lot about opinions on restaurants before we came and knew that the Asian and Steakhouse were some of the better ones to try. We started that first dinner at Sutra, which turned out to be a winner. The service was great there and the food was good as well. We didn’t have to wait for a table very long and drinks were served along with their house appetizer within a couple minutes of sitting down. This ended up being our go-to place for dinner for a few times during the stay. By the time we finished here it was time for Bash. Luckily for us it was the best theme of the week, cowgirl/cowboy night.

The show before Bash was pretty boring and not really on par with some of the other Mexico resorts that we have been to. We found this to be the case for most nights we were there. To be honest though it really didn’t matter because the show just acted to create a separation between pool/dinner time and flow into dance/party. As soon as the entertainers got off, the playmakers collect people who want to dance and get them on stage. We did notice at this point that there were quite a few people who came for the show and then left when it was over. On the nights we were there it was around 20% or so. Too bad for them because the show is made with the guests at the resort after the paid entertainers are gone and that’s when the party starts.

Here is where I would like to make an observation about picture taking. We were around the dance floor for the entire 2 weeks we were there, and we had many people around us taking pictures and video of those in their particular group. We took photos of us as a couple and those we had met together. These people were always super respectful and made a point to ask who around didn’t want their picture out there. I don’t think someone would go through that much trouble to ask if they weren’t interested in protecting privacy. Maybe we just happen to think people are generally good and we are super naïve, we are happy to stay in our bubble. I suspect that the people that are very concerned about photos being taken are the same ones that complain about the chairs at Bash hurting their legs from sitting on them. There are lots of people watchers around in chairs(lots) and usually people watching will start discussion around the table about what others are doing that seem to be having a lot more fun. I know this isn’t going to be popular to say, but I was surprised how many people were at Bash and looked absolutely miserable. Maybe this is not the case and my observation is way off, I mean its Bash, they must be having fun, right? My point is that I question the source of the complaints, is it really that people are concerned about being in a picture when they are 50ft away or is it something else? Obviously, someone coming directly up and snapping a picture of some strangers’ topless wife is no bueno and everyone agrees on that. Anyways, I rambled enough and moving on with the review, Sorry!

Next day we went on the infamous Boobs Cruise! This particular one had 112 people or something close, it was kind of ridiculous (in a good way) how many people they fit on the boat. The cruise was all it was cracked up to be and more. Omar and Chinos made it so much fun. One concern that I did read about before we went is those that want to go, but don’t want to be topless. This is probably a bad idea unless you can deal with the hilarious man on the mic relentlessly prodding you to shed the top as everyone else on the boat stares at you and encourages, peer pressure to the max. Overall it was a really good time. We saw lots of things that can’t be unseen, but most importantly made new friends we had for the rest of the trip and beyond. This was a perfect time to go as it was right at the beginning of our stay, definitely one of the highlights of our trip.

That next night we went out with a couple friends we met to She because they had reservations. We were apprehensive at first because of all the bad reviews it had gotten, most of them being about the time it took to get through dinner. We had also heard rumors though about them changing it up, so we went. Good thing we did because it was great. It took about 45 minutes start to finish to have dinner and there were a few strip shows in between by 2 very hot entertainment staff. The food was also excellent and was at the top of our list for this stay. We ended up eating there once more the next week.

Around mid-week we ended up going to the Italian restaurant. This was a place that we had also heard very good things about. Unfortunately, it was one of the worst experiences of the trip. We were with another couple and waiting to be seated. They told us the wait would be about 30 minutes, so we went to the bar next to the quiet pool and had a couple drinks, all is well. We go back about the time they said they would have a table to be told that it would be another 45 minutes. By this time there were a couple in our group that were getting a little hangry, so this news was not ideal. At that same time there was a group of 6 that walked in and were seated because they had been waiting as well. The staff seated them at a table for 10 and since they knew we were waiting they invited us to sit with them. Getting seated plus new friends and all is well again. Then the wait staff forgot we were even in the restaurant. It took 30 minutes before we even received menus let alone drinks that came 20 minutes after that. It was obvious that the staff was overwhelmed as all tables around us were seemingly as frustrated. At around the 1.5 hr mark they brought along the bread, good move since the hangry had turned to much worse. When we finally were served our dinner, it was more than 2 hours there. If it weren’t for some good people and fun conversation this would have been a total let down. The real kicker came when we took the first bite and all we could taste was salt. The food was heavily seasoned and I’m sure it was a short kitchen staff that was moving fast and trying to push out food but forgetting about quality. We didn’t go back so I’m not sure if this was an isolated incident or not. We will try again next trip.

The next night we went to the Steakhouse. We had fast service here and food was good as well. We were a little bummed when they told us they were out of the ribs since we had heard earlier that it was the food to get there. Instead we got the steak and it was very good. I also had the octopus as an appetizer and it was good as well. Overall, we were happy with everything here.

We tried the Mexican food the next night. There were very few people in there and it was easy to get seated right away. This was good because by this time in the week we were starting to lose energy because of only getting 3-4 hours of sleep per night. We just wanted to eat, head back up to the room to relax for a little while before we headed to Bash. Food was just Ok, but they were also out of a few things I would have preferred to order. Service was very good here though.

Time to talk about the pool. The pool is so much fun because the playmakers are amazing at what they do. There was always lots going on and even though the activities were somewhat boring at times they still were a good time because of the great interaction the playmakers created with guests. The people that come and stay at the resort make Temptation what it is and make you want to come back to see the new friends you meet. The playmakers interact with everyone to get that conversation going and bring people out of their shell to meet those other new friends. I can’t say enough how much these playmakers add to the experience of Temptation, it’s truly like nowhere else I’ve been. The pool had some obvious flaws to the design and I can see where the complaints came from when reading about it before our trip. The water level is too high, but they do have steps around the edge that are nice to sit on. The issue with this though is that it would be great to just be able to put your arms on the edge and talk to someone outside the pool sitting on a chair. This isn’t easy to do when you have the steps and chairs around the edge. This does create more interaction within the pool, but I think both could be possible as is the case with the pool at Desire RM.

Mid-way though our trip we did a day pass at Desire to check it out and see if it’s a place we would like to stay on our next trip. This ended up being a great idea not only because the resort is great, but also because it gave us a little break from the constant party at Temptation. I won’t review Desire RM here because we didn’t have a full stay, but we will be breaking our trip up with a stay there next time, probably at the end.

We enjoyed ourselves so much through the trip that about halfway through we bought into a membership. I know there are so many opinions strongly on one side or the other on this, but we are happy we did. We love the extra benefits that come along with it and it definitely enhanced our experience for the rest of the stay. I get why it’s not for everyone though and respect why someone would feel it’s a better deal to just pay for the reservation each time they go. We just knew we were going to be back at the resort many times and wanted everything that it had to offer. Ultimately, we were fine with the cost of that.

Weather overall during our stay was perfect, but we did have 1 day during our stay where we had torrential downpour for the entire day. The pool party was moved into the sports bar. At first this started out slow, probably because people decided to go have lunch and hope the rain stopped. Once everyone realized the rain was going to be relentless, the sports bar was packed and loud. The playmakers had lots of games they were playing with everyone and it was a good time. Obviously, the pool would have been ideal, but we made the most of it over there for the day. Luckily the rain let up just before Bash so that remained outside.

Overall it was an excellent time. Being there for 2 weeks we saw some stumbles with service and quality, but those times were not often enough that it would be expected on a regular basis. It’s also quite amazing how over the 2 weeks we were there how the crowd changed from day to day. It’s easy to see how an experience can change drastically from day to day. We’ve already booked a return trip for early November. Can’t wait!

• Like Like x 24
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  2. Stacia_and_John

Stacia_and_John T&A Tour Guide Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4,603 / 14
    Great Trip Report, y'all! Glad you had a good time, always like reading that sort of thing.

3. MandEOntario

MandEOntario Addict Registered Member

West of Toronto; Empty nesters with a hot tub
    Ratings:
    +2,673 / 4
    @Matt and Lisa - what a wonderfully well-written and balanced trip report! Based on your thoughtfully detailed account, you are role models of patient and self-aware travellers who do not sweat the small stuff and made it a priority to kick back, enjoy and take it all in stride no matter what. Well done! Enjoy reflecting on your 2-weeks of wonderful memories with each other and new friends. Thanks again for taking the time to share!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. Matt and Lisa

Ratings:
    +1,756 / 5
    Thank You!

5. EFish

EFish Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +485 / 0
    Great review! We had a similar experience at the Italian restaurant one night. Seems like it gets a little busy and disorganized there sometimes. Nothing too horrible though.

6. Restling

Restling I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,612 / 4
    Nice report, thanks for taking the time to write it. We fortunately have never had a rain out day. I was wondering when there is, and everyone goes to the sports bar do they allow any toplessness in there? Wondered if they try to keep the atmosphere like what is it supposed to be around the sexy pool.

7. Matt and Lisa

Ratings:
    +1,756 / 5
    No topless in there. Well at least none that we saw, not sure if it’s allowed. There was the Big Jenga game going on though most of the time which created some fun shenanigans.

8. salesman69

salesman69 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +287 / 0
    Great review and well written. We agree all the people you meet make the trip. We just got back from TTR in mid April and couldn’t have had a better time also.

9. Matt and Lisa

Ratings:
    +1,756 / 5
    We must have missed each other.

10. FFC/WBA

FFC/WBA Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +573 / 0
    Did we miss it, couldn't see any mention of a foam party, the big jacuzzi or hopefully the late night opening of the pool, is this still happening ???

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice