Day Excursion To Isla Mujeres

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by LionsNzebras, Feb 6, 2019.

1. LionsNzebras

LionsNzebras I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0
    Hey team!

I'm planning a day excursion to Isla Mujeres. No day specifically specified yet. We have friends from Alberta that live on their boat there. We spend a week with them every summer at our local burning man regional.

Anyway....
    I have researched the ferry from the UltraMar El Embarcadero just to the south of the hotel. Round Trip looks like 19 usd per adult. Time table is on the website. Looks like the latest is 9:15pm (which might just work out well)

The other one to the north runs from 5am to 12am. Terminal Maritima Ultramar to the same terminal the other one runs to. 300 pesos for that one, round trip. No biggie either.

I think we can walk to the south one, but the north one may need a cab? I don't mind walking a little bit even at midnight, just not so sure how far to walk at that time of night.

Has anyone taken either of these ferry rides?

----- Isla Mujeres ----
    Once on the other side, I have no clue what to do, where to go, how it works. I know my friends are docking at el Milagro dock. I think from google maps we can walk from Ultramar to el Milagro. ADVENTURE!

Anyone rented a golf cart for the day?
    Anyone taken a cab from Ultramar north of Temptation TO or from that location?
    I am looking for other things to do, I don't want to burden down my my friends with my presence as they also have other guests in town.

Any suggestions welcome!

2. Flash2

Flash2 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +569 / 1
    We have gone over just about every trip to TTR. We pick up the ferry from over by the Pirate ships....easy walk. Once off the ferry we go left out of the terminal and rent a golf cart on the right or up the first street a bit. They really are all about the same.

We usually just drive around and explore. This us always fun, we even pick people up and drive them around!

We found a beautiful cliff area where we always stop and do our own private little photo shoot - nude...the area is gorgeous.

We also like to spend some time at the beach not far from the ferry terminal....beautiful! And there’s a great little bar with swing seats to relax at.

Attached Files:

3. LionsNzebras

Ratings:
    +402 / 0
    Flash, thanks for the help.
    Sounds like an easy stress less day.
    Hows the food, any recommendations for a little romance? Or super tasty stuff?
    What time do you head over, and return?
    How much was the cart rental?

4. Flash2

Flash2 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +569 / 1
    Food!? Hmmmm we have never actually had a meal there LOL
    We usually head over for a couple hours, pack snacks. I think we usually catch the ferry between 10a-12n and come back before dinner.
    If I am remembering correctly we get the golf cart for ‘the whole day’ for around $40.

This time I think we are hoping to oack a little cooler and do a picnic type lunch in ‘our spot’...

5. hotfitcpl

hotfitcpl Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +619 / 1
    we caught the Ultramar ferry to the north and bussed it there (same place that got blown up last year). It lands on Isla right in the main part of the town. Golf carts are basically $100USD for the day from pretty much all the vendors. One place at least has 6 person carts, but can't recall the name of it. Check google reviews as there are some crappy rental places. We hit the bar at the north end of the Island with the swing seats. Nice beach there. Skull Landing pub is just south of town and has an outdoor pub and small pool to cool off in and the food was great! You can't get lost on the island and the town is pretty small, and there are some beautiful beaches to stop at along the island perimeter road. Lots of expensive houses and lots of locals living under plywood and tarps.. Everyone there seems to be on Mexican time as far as service goes too lol. Passengers can drink on the golf cart but the driver can't. If the local policia pull you over for any reason, expect a "citation" and fine, but no copy of the ticket or receipt - first hand experience :).

EDIT - We have heard from friends that the Ultramar ferry to the north is quite a bit quicker across the water than the "local" ferry to the south of the resort. Maintenance is not a high priority on anything in Mexico it seemed so I was happy to be on the faster ferry even though it sounded and felt like something was about to let go in the drive train.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  6. LionsNzebras

Ratings:
    +402 / 0
    Thank you very much, going to check out some google reviews on carts and such.

7. Gibby97

Gibby97 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Make sure you stop and get peso’s. Definitely rent golf cart and tour the island. Make sure you go to Soggy Peso as they have the best drinks anywhere and the food is good as well.

You can buy beer at any little store very cheap. We have stopped to eat all over town and everything is good so don’t be afraid to go down backroads and explore.

We always spend a day there when we go which will be coming up in 3 weeks.

8. LionsNzebras

Ratings:
    +402 / 0
    Thanks Gibby, we are there in 14 sleeps, warming up the party for you :)

9. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Nooo! The ferry that got blown up (insurance job, not cartels) was the Playa del Carmen to Cozumel ferry, totally different route and totally different company than the Isla Mujeres ferry. 40 miles away.

25 injured in Playa del Carmen ferry explosion, Mexican government says

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  10. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Ok, well times and fares are here:
    Welcome :: Ultramar

Puerto Juarez (the North terminal) runs more frequently and earlier/later. It is a little cheaper, than Embarcadero. But it is a 20 min taxi ride from Temptation and will cost around $10 each way. You can bus it, but most buses passing Temptation dont go there. You need to make sure the bus says "Puerto Juarez" on the front. If not you'll need to change buses and and know where to get on and off.

The Emabarcadero terminal is more expensive, but is walkable from Temptation. It doesnt run as frequently, as early in the morning, or as late at night.

They both arrive and leave from the same terminal on Isla Mujeres

Take your pick :)

PS Be careful of scams and shakedowns on Isla Mujeres. Also of drinking while driving a golf cart. Gone are the days when you could get away with that.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice