Help needed!!! Planning on moving to Cancun!!!

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by ViktoriaUK, Oct 9, 2012.

1. marshe

marshe The Original Hottie and Hellraiser Registered Member

when not on vacation, home based 25 mns from Toron
    Ratings:
    +1,770 / 4
    What does a timeshare agent do?
    And why would you need to sack him?

2. Cancunscorpio

Cancunscorpio Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    Pamela, something ain't right here;) I've been living in Mexico for many years and I do feel safer in Playa or Cancun than in many American or Canadian cities in fact.
    I sure do speak Spanish but I'm NOT Mexican, I am quite the opposite in fact when it comes to my looks and everyone immediately thinks that I am a Viking;). But I have never encountered a thing like different prices for a Mexican and an American.
    May be that's because I do shop in Chedraui at Plaza Las Americas in Playa, then again I've never had a problem at any tiny Mexican corner store.

If you do not like it in Cancun so much, why can't you just get a one way ticket to London (the cheapest one will sell for 333$ US) and go? I find it hard to believe that getting a new passport will take such a long time. I know how it works for Americans and Canadians and I doubt that Ireland would be much different.

There is an Irish consulate in Cancun: Consulate of Ireland in Cancun, Mexico

Why don't you check with them????

And you should've checked things about "teaching English in Mexico" BEFORE coming here to work;) There is NO money here in teaching. Go to China, Taiwan, UAE, Qatar, Saudi Arabia. Why Mexico??
    Many people tend to mix VACATIONING here in a 5-star all-inclusive luxury hotel with an everyday life when one needs to buy food, get around town, attend meetings, work, sleep, rent a place and pay utilities etc etc etc. The list is very long.

Cancun, Playa and Cozumel ain't no vacation and living here requires the same if not a bigger effort as in USA, Canada, UK or Ireland.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    Pamela sounds like one of those people who always blame someone else for their own misfortune. Reels off a catalog of things she shouldn't be doing and then looks for sympathy.

I'm a Brit, have no problem transferring money back and forth, no problem with getting passports issued or renewed, no problem with being treated as a "walking ATM", no problem with Amazon deliveries and have experienced no racism or anti foreigner feeling.

It sounds like she has no respect for the country she finds herself in or the people that live here, and has little to no means to support herself.

Pamela, you give expats a bad name. Just get yourself home, get a proper job and do some growing up.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  4. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14

What she's talking about is basically fraud.

She pretends to be a tourist and goes along to timeshare presentations at different hotels posing as a potential buyer. Has no intention or means to buy but claims the financial reward for attending, often $100 US or so.

Her "boss" sets her up with the presentations and then expects a percentage of her compensation and probably gets a finders fee too. Spends his day job at Walmart recruiting similarly vulnerable people.

When she says she "fired" him, she means she found someone else who does the same thing except sends her more work or doesn't charge as much.

Little more than pimps.

What a sad state of affairs!

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  5. FakeNewsTeam

FakeNewsTeam It's a matter of time, but time is all we have! Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4,598 / 13
    @Steve

I dont usually read anything unless related to TTR or Desire but stumbled on this, and it appears that @marshe did too.
    What a convoluted story and I believe have seen Pamela also respond in similar fashion to some other posts also bashing MX.
    Oh how I could have fun with his but chose this simple response instead...

Why is Pamela resonding to a thread that the last post was from Nov 3, 2012???

We all have stories but this appears as a way to solicit “help” through “donations” to her poor cause. She could always start a gofundme!!!

And finally, why not block her for spreading misinformation...maybe both libel and/or slanderish information?

6. Cancunscorpio

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    @ Steve, many people tend to think that life in Cancun/Caribe Mexicano is similar to a week stay at a luxury resort in Cancun or Riviera Maya without ever needing to go to work, fin a rental, buy food, get yourself around with everything handed to them on a silver platter. And then they come over with a certain amount of money and suddenly find out that life in Cancun/Playa ain't all that easy breezy, and there are scams, fraud, hardships to go through, rentals to find, food to buy etc.
    And they start blaming anyone but themselves for their OWN faults and mistakes.

@ FakeNewsTeam : I still give Pamela a benefit of the doubt. All of us have encountered problems and hardships in our lives and she just turned to internet looking for online help. I doubt that she's got a lot of world experience and this may be her first trip overseas. People these days live in some kind of an imaginary world where money grow on trees, every day is sunny and people are super friendly.
    No need to ban or block her. I do not think that she'll ever come back here;)

7. FakeNewsTeam

Ratings:
    +4,598 / 13
    But she claims to be trilingual and hold a law degree ans another Master’s degree.
    And an advocate for atleast family screwed by the health care profession.
    And seperated or potentially divorced.
    And domestically abused.
    And bitter.
    And...
    So that appears quite Wordly to me.

I wish her no harm but it is depressing on this site.
    And of course responding to a ~ 6 year old thread giving advise long after!!!
    But she may just be trying to give advice but in a rambling context way.

I think she is a bit off her rocker or a scammer.
    To protect myself I will ignore posts and hope she does not post about this subject again.

8. marshe

marshe The Original Hottie and Hellraiser Registered Member

when not on vacation, home based 25 mns from Toron
    Ratings:
    +1,770 / 4
    Thanks Mate for explaining.
    Does kinda sound a bit pimpy.

So I guess this is quite common for vulnerable locals to do as a means to emerge out some cash?
    Aren't the timeshare folks wise to this practice and able to spot the fakes easily?

Had no idea that this scam existed.
    Free food and a few free drinks and cash on top for time spent.
    Maybe a I should retire and move there and become a professional timeshare attendee!

9. Cancunscorpio

Ratings:
    +12 / 0

A Degree itself does not mean having knowledge and experience;) Nor does a claim to be trilingual;)

I guess she just Googled information about help with moving to or from Mexico and this thread came up;)

Then again I have my strong doubts that she'll ever be back here.

10. FakeNewsTeam

Ratings:
    +4,598 / 13
    Agreed.
    I work and know many educated idiots whom can hardly dress themselves much less move to a foreign country!!!
    Her story reads like the plot of an ol' fashion Soap Operao_O

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice