7th Time Trip Report - Mixed Feelings

Discussion in 'Temptation Resort Reviews' started by CaptMorgan, Feb 27, 2018.

1. CaptMorgan

CaptMorgan Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0
    We were recently at TTR during Feb 16-20, splitting our trip between the Week 8 shitshow group we've been a part of since 2013, and four days following at Desire RM.

A little background, I've been a TTR cheerleader for many years but we fell in love with Desire RM back in 2015 when, for us, it addressed all our "issues" we had with TTR. (Things like moldy rooms, A/C that didn't work, not-so-great food, sewage backups, leaky ceilings, and don't get me started on that cough we always developed from what was growing in the ventilation system. ) Anyway, we found DRM was better in every single one of those areas while also still having a great party, and a fun jacuzzi with bar that helped eliminate some of that late afternoon downtime we hate so much, and much better alcohol and drinks. Yes, it's more expensive, but we felt it was worth it. We even bought the Premier membership at DRM when TTR was closed.

In any case, since many of our friends were either going back to TTR or were splitting their trip between the two resorts, we decided to do the same. It sounded like the resort had addressed a lot of our issues, so it was worth a shot.

We had booked a Bash tower room, but then when the "secret sale" came out in November we realized we could save about $850 by re-booking through that and canceled the bash room we had booked through premier. My hope was that, as members, we had a fair shot of getting upgraded anyway. Unfortunately, we got one of the shittiest rooms in the place, but we didn't really care, because we don't go there for the rooms (our room was 1624 which is the old 4000's bldg.)

So I'll start with what's bad and end with what's good or better, to at least leave my review on a positive note.

The Bad:

Attention to detail during the remodel was poor at best and dangerous at worst. Still slippery surfaces everywhere you look, the cabinets in the room will not stay closed which means the light that comes on automatically when the door opens stays on ALL NIGHT. We pointed this out to maintenance several times, they didn't care, I think they are so overwhelmed by this problem and it's a design flaw with the clasp. Just a cheap piece of plastic that keeps breaking.

The rooms in the new tower have glass barracades along the edge of the balcony that make you think you could lean on them but if barely touch them they break free since they are not secured in place by anything other than some drywall plaster. You could literally lift a panel right out of place. The elevators are slow to arrive, perhaps because there are not enough of them, and perhaps because they are TINY. Poorly thought out design to say the least.

I really do not understand why the lobby level and bash are nearly a full two stories higher than the pool, which necessitates a stupid ramp that I must have gone up and down 157 times in 4 days. The integration of old TTR rooms to the new building was very poorly done. From my room to get to the lobby I had to climb (AND DESCEND) soooo many steps. It was this weird sequence of up two flights, down a flight, make a right turn, then go back up stairs, etc.

Our room was one of the smallest of the old rooms which used to be a double shower but now only has a single head... but water still leaked from the ceiling where the other shower head used to be, almost as if they crammed a sock in the pipe and drywalled over it. Weird.

The entrance to the pool closest to the tower has the weirdest step sequence... there's one step, two steps, then the cliff diving step that was like 30" tall. Of course, the pool was too deep, we all know that already. But why not have one more step so people don't keep falling?

So many other people who were there, who were NOT premier members but also booked the secret sale, had tower rooms, or at least rooms better than ours. Why would they not treat members better than brand new people? Who knows, but I've come to expect things like this from Original Resorts, where nobody knows you, and management doesn't give a shit.

Music. For the love of God I wish they could get their act together on afternoon pool music. This is a big complaint of everyone there. It was a total party killer. I won't even go into the song titles they played because it makes me want to cry to think about what that pool party COULD have been like with a real pool party DJ. Nighttime DJ at bash was much better than Paty-O used to be though, to be fair.

The stage at Bash. How has nobody died falling off that yet? Bash is cool, but the stage breaks up the party. I often found the area to be so big and segregated that I only talked to a small group of people every night.

Last, in what some may view as a small complaint but it made me lose my mind... we have a process each morning of me going to breakfast alone, eating at the restaurant, and then before leaving, making a plate for Laurie. I take it back to the room and that's when she gets out of bed. We've found room service to be sub-optimal, usually the food is not hot, and they miss things that you ask for. I did this for the first three days with no problem, then on the fourth day a waiter stopped me like I was committing grand larceny. Now, I had assumed he just didn't want me taking the breakable plate out of the restaurant and I was perfectly willing to let him swap that out for a disposable plate, but no. He said that resort policy is that all restaurant food must be consumed in the restaurant. I was so confused by this. He said that any food to be consumed in the room must be ordered through room service. So he agreed to take my plate from me (as if I had a choice) and he would call room service to take it to my room. 30 minutes later of course, it shows up, cold.

They also have a policy where if you show up for dinner for 8 people or more, even at a place like Sutra where reservations are not needed, you are required to purchase two bottles of something (wine, etc). Why is this? It's an insulting money grab that served no purpose other than to piss off our whole group.

Shit like this is why we started going to DRM in the first place. I do not understand why they operate in this manner, especially towards members.

The Good:

There are many areas the resort has improved significantly. The food was SO much better. We had pretty much great meals every night, equaling DRM's offerings in most cases and exceeding even in some. A huge, and necessary improvement.

The addition of a jacuzzi was also huge, even though it had no bar nearby (the bash bar is not yet open during jacuzzi time, and you can't walk in to the lobby bar topless or soaking wet lest you fall and die). But still, it's much better than nothing, and a lot of fun was had there. I called it "The Big Fun Hole", which I felt was okay since I named the original fun holes years ago.

Drinks... OMG the drinks are SO much better. Partly because this is the first time we were premier (they have FIREBALL which was a game changer!). The champagne also is drinkable for the first time. Overall, the bar service is a quantum leap better than before.

A/C seemed to work OK and there was no mold/mildew problem.

Conclusion:

I know I've missed a lot of things in my report, but in general I'll say there were many areas that have improved, but I don't think it's enough to warrant a return trip for us. DRM much better suits our needs at this point. The people at TTR are great, but they are great at DRM too. I'm not saying we would never go back, because I did that before and here we are. But at this point in our journey, we are better suited to DRM.

The last thing I'll say is I've talked to a lot of people about DRM over the past couple years who are TTR repeaters. They all say Desire is for old people, there's no party, it's too small, etc. But none of them had ever been. Is the party or the flow of the day exactly the same? No. But it's great in it's own unique way. I'd urge people to form opinions based on their own actual experiences and not what they read on a forum. I've been to both of these resorts 7 times each, so I feel satisfied that I've given both a fair chance, and qualified to share my opinion.

• Like Like x 15
    • Informative Informative x 9
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  2. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve CCC's The Dude Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6,163 / 7
    Thanks for the TR. Glad to see this in comparison to Desire as well. Wish your time could have been better, but doesn't sound like the worst either. And glad to hear the positives with the food and booze!

I would like to give Desire a shot, but would probably do it at a time when we find out there is going to be other younger "party type" people. We aren't in the LS, so that's one of the things that sets us back. And I personally don't feel like hanging at the bar with naked dudes a bulk of my vacation. (I have no problem getting naked, and done so on plenty of BCs, but I don't think I could do it all day).

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. brent&kells

brent&kells I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,342 / 3
    Great report from the walter cronkite of TTR reports.....I dont care what u say.....lookin forward to seeing u there next year.....miss u both

4. Restling

Restling I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,627 / 4
    I can see there point on not taking food our of the buffet, but inconsistency makes it more frustrating. I know I took food out of there to the pool area during lunch a time or two. One time they even gave me container for it. Being made to order a bottle of wine would not make me happy.

The design flaws, Showers, stools, slippery floors, latches are really unexceptionable for new construction. It doesn't take any more time to install the right stuff, and it will just take more time in the long run, as they have to replace cheap fixtures, or painful ones like the stools.

I'm with Steve on Desire. I don't mind being naked, but really don't care to hang out with naked dudes, if that makes sense. I know Meri wouldn't like Desire. The TTR price is all we want to spend on a vacation anyway.

Bash music I didn't have a problem with, but I agree that stage is dangerous, and really segregates the group.

Music at the pool is definitely an area to improve. On our last day they had what sounded like a slightly pumped up version of the quiet pool music with no volume, and no words. The pool was completely dead the entire time, and that was on a Boobs Cruise day. When they got back...nothing. Really boring.

5. JnJPartyStyle

JnJPartyStyle Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +405 / 0
    Great review!

OP can I make a suggestion?

If you like the day party of TTR but the atmosphere of RM, you should try Peal during music week in August.

Pearl has much nicer amenities than rm in our opinion and music week brings in a young, party friendly crowd.

We are doing TTR for trip number 6 in April and it will be the first time since the renovations. We have an amazing crew this year so I’m sure it will be a blast, but I can see out growing TTR after doing DRM and Pearl. This is our “decide if TTR is still for us” trip.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. Rick&Kelly

Rick&Kelly Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +224 / 1
    Thank you for the awesome truthful review, hopefully not to many ass-munchers attack for your honesty. We have been to the old TTR about 7 times and are getting close to the next visit to experience the remodel and honestly we both are a little nervous that it may end up to be the last time due to not meeting our expectations.
    We love the people we have meet there for sure it is the only thing that brings up back other than the bartenders, entertainment staff and resort staff that go the extra mile.
    It is really to bad that the design issues and inconsistanties are there.
    We have the same worries about Desire so... haven’t tried it. Can’t see total naked all the time I like our imaginations sometimes
    Thanks again for the review! We will update with one from our trip in March.
    Rick and Kelly

7. CaptMorgan

Ratings:
    +82 / 0
    Our first time at Desire my wife hung out at the beach until it was jacuzzi time and when we walked up and she saw all the dicks she ran the other way and didn't leave the room again that night. It's definitely overwhelming at first. But, like boobs, after a while you really stop seeing them. She doesn't enjoy looking at dicks, she's just oblivious to them now.

I realize Desire to TTR is not necessarily an apples to oranges comparison being that there is quite a bit of LS activity at the former. But for us, since we don't have any hangups with the nudity we really look at them on the same level. I realize that's not the case for all people.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. CaptMorgan

Ratings:
    +82 / 0
    One other thing. Our group found ourselves constantly asking questions like "why a slippery stage with no rails?" and "why make us buy bottles of mediocre wine?" and "why 30" steps in the pool where you can't see them?" and "why take Laurie's breakfast?" and, sitting at dinner one night I figured it all out.

The entire place is a scientific study into human reaction to the most bizarre experiences and sequences someone could imagine. Like "The Truman Show"!!! We are only there to be observed for our reactions to strange things. I know this seems far fetched but there can be no other plausible explanation!

I'm kinda kidding, but this got a really good laugh at the time...

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • List
  9. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve CCC's The Dude Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6,163 / 7
    What if you wore a small square cuts most of the time and didn't participate in LS activities. Would you be in the minority and out of place?

10. Mark and Staci

Mark and Staci I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,891 / 4
    Yeah that last step into the pool is ridiculous. WTH? I saw several people in October with drink in hand, step off into oblivion and go under...drinks and all.

And the Bash layout with that dancefloor/stage/slip and slide, was a bad idea also.

We do like the new cleaner TTR, and the food is MUCH better, but they really need to rethink some things.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice