Tipping Etiquette

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by Pat and Julie, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Pat and Julie

Pat and Julie Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    We are trying to budget for our trip next month since we failed to do so last year. What amount of money do you recommend for us to bring for tips for a week long stay?

Who all should we tip and how much?

2. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve CCC's The Dude Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6,163 / 7
    That really just depends how much you like to tip. Remember you will get great service without tipping, but tipping might help you get noticed or taken care of faster.

A very basic daily rule-of-thumb could be:

1. $5 - housekeeping
    2. $3-$5 - breakfast
    3. $1-2 - eggs/omelets bar at breakfast
    4. $5 - lunch
    5. $10 - daytime beverages
    6. $7-10 - dinner (if you are at one of the sit-downs, probably less at the buffet)
    7. $10 - nighttime beverages

There could be other things, but it really depends on what else you may do: Boobs Cruise, paddle boats, spa, etc. I end up with other slightly more "special" requests that could include: 8 person dinner tables, service in the pool/poolside/beach, 10 pizzas to-go for lunch, room parties that require extra housekeeping services, holding personal bottles behind the bar for us, etc.

It really just depends what you like to do, how much you like to tip, and how many things that wouldn't be considered standard that you get mixed up in ;)

3. SexxyFunnCpl

SexxyFunnCpl Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0
    Good breakdown Steve. "Extra housekeeping service" ((giggling))

4. Donna & Tim

Donna & Tim I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,605 / 6
    We generally figure about $50 USD per day you are there all said and done.

T

5. BandLus2

BandLus2 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +393 / 0
    We always tip well for good service and will tip even more for exceptional service. We plan on a minimum of $50 per day on average. Maybe a little more for the boob cruise.

6. Cancouple56

Cancouple56 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +456 / 1
    We have stayed at quite a few resorts and we use the 50 a day guideline.

We always try and remember to tip the people who normally don't see it...ie the omelette cook that makes our breakfast each morning, the gardener, etc..

In the Domincan , we gave 5 dollars to a gardener who always smiled And said hello every day and he was more appreciative then anyone I have ever tipped. Every time we walked by he ran over with a flower for each of our daughters. It goes a long way.

If I know I'm going to be drinking at a pool bar all day I'll generally tip five dollars to start, then five later, rather then every round. Depending on how long my stay at the pool bar is lol.

We usually do 3-5 a meal, 10 for dinner, 15 if it is more fine dining. More if the service is exceptionally good. One time after chatting with the bartender he mentioned he was on day 1 of a six day stretch in the swim up bar so he needed lots of coffee. I gave him 75 for the week and he was literally walking my drinks over to my poor chair for the week.

Housekeeping we always do five a day.

One thing we have tried to do is bring small gifts that kinda represent our country (Canada)
    Pure maple syrup is a big hit, and my wife always brings perfume and some clothes (not used ones lol) as gifts for the housekeeping. Many resorts housekeeping pool their tips, so often gifts are a nice touch for exceptional service.

I have always found we have received great service regardless, but when you are at a resort wih people pretty much waiting on you hand and foot, it is nice to be able to show appreciation.

7. Pat and Julie

Pat and Julie Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Thank you all so much for your responses. Regarding gifts for the housekeepers and such, I have heard that people do this a lot. What are some other recommendations that we could bring with us that the workers might not necessarily have the ability to purchase in Mexico?

8. Manzo_74

Manzo_74 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just make sure whatever gift you buy them isn't made in Mexico?
    [​IMG]

9. LadynTramp

LadynTramp I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +420 / 6
    ......experience suggests that they'd rather have cash...

10. Dis0wned

Dis0wned Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Are 2 dollar bills ok in Mexico? I understand they are US currency, we enjoy using them to tip, it's unique but I don't want to give the folks there a currency they have trouble with. Anyone have thoughts on this?

TTR newbies August 10-16. 11th anniversary August 11th

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice