The Brexit Divide???

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by marshe, Jun 2, 2016.

1. marshe

marshe The Original Hottie and Hellraiser Registered Member

when not on vacation, home based 25 mns from Toron
    Ratings:
    +1,770 / 4
    I'm getting very curious about what will happen 3 weeks from today in the U.K.

Obviously as a Canuck I have no vote and very little news coverage of the debate. The media coverage I have read implies the vote will be close, howeever the sources may be biased
    But as a financial junkie I am fascinated by the possible ramifications.

Is it time for a reality check before taking such rash action?
    Or Is this the beginning of the end for the EU as a Trading Bloc, (if the Leave side wins) ?

And if that happens, will Britain flourish or wrestle with Recession?
    How low will the British pound sink?

Will more countries follow and opt out?
    Will Euro currency eventually fade away?

To paraphrase the great (The Clash's) Mick Jones and Joe Strummer

"Darling U.K. you got to let us know.
    Will you stay or should you blow?"

2. twinimini

twinimini I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    I will be curious to see what Steve's take is on the Brexit vote. Steve tends to be a bit more to the left which may or may not have an effect on his take on the situation. There is much speculation that a leave vote will result in Scotland going on its own way. It shall be interesting to see how that vote goes. For us in the States, not quite as interesting as the next five months of presidential campaigning, but interesting nonetheless.

3. marshe

Ratings:
    +1,770 / 4
    Funny that you mention Scotand.....
    In about 36 hrs we will be touching down in Glasgow for a 10 day coach tour and a lot of Scotch tastings
    And I anticipate I will get a few locals' views, as we move about the country.

4. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    Going to be very close but in recent days Leave is gaining ground, I hope that continues. Polls are 50/50 or 52/48 in favour of Remain, but bookmakers are very firmly expecting a Remain vote.

This is a far bigger issue than whether the pound drops or whether the economy has a short term downturn.

It's about sovereignty, the ability to make our own laws and those who make them being accountable to the electorate. I don't want some faceless, unelected, unaccountable, foreign bureaucrats deciding the policy of my home country.

It's about controlling our border and deciding who can come and who can't. 500 Million Europeans have the right to live and work in the UK. With youth unemployment at around 40-50% in Greece, Italy, Spain and minimum wages in some countries meaning low skilled workers can earn more in a day in the UK than they can make in a week at home - guess where everyone wants to go? The oversupply depresses wages for the low paid and encourages eroding of workers rights. Not to mention the pressure on housing, schools, the health service, roads, Police etc

Let's not forget the 2 Million unvetted economic migrants and refugees (no doubt with terrorists embedded) welcomed in to other EU countries last year, who in a couple of years time will have an EU passport and can move to the UK without hindrance.

The UK is the 5th biggest economy in the World. An island built on coal, gas and oil and surrounded by fish, the principal financial capital of Europe and a successful trading nation for centuries. The UK has 6 of the top 25 universities in the World, the rest of the EU has none in the top 25. We can make it alone without the EU - the slowest growing trading bloc of all trading blocs.

Most of the countries in the World are not in the EU, and most of those countries are doing far better than most of the countries in the EU. If the UK suffers a little in the short term so be it, the gains will be worth it in the long run.

This is the most important vote for generations. I have jumped through a hundred hoops to make sure I get a vote myself. I am voting OUT. For me, this vote will determine whether I want to ever live there again, whether I will encourage my kids to study and work there or whether I consider my country lost.

If we leave the EU on June 23, it will be considered our Independence Day. It really is that important.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    Scotland is much more in favour of Remain than England is.

Kind of ironic that they almost left the UK in their referendum a year or two ago, but if the UK as a whole votes to leave the EU they will seek a second referendum to leave the UK.

I think they like subsidies.

6. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    There you have it :)

I consider myself neither left nor right as I hold views on both sides of the spectrum depending on what the specific issue is. I do find as I get older, maybe wiser, and better off I lean more and more to the right.

But, if I were a US citizen, I still couldn't vote for Trump!

7. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
  8. twinimini

twinimini I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    Thanks Steve for your input. I've heard some of the pros and cons, but I think Steve summed up the cons really well. From what I have seen, and granted it is very limited, the EU governing apparatus seems overblown and overly officious. I have never been able to imagine how countries that had been enemies for centuries which have very different cultures could ever agree on much of anything. When they do agree it seems like the proverbial attempts to please everyone which pleases no one.

9. krimmer2

krimmer2 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    Completely agree with u Steve on all points betting is unfortunately odds on to remain and 5/2 for exit but that's shorter odds than earlier and as Steve said the leave side is gaining ground.

10. marshe

Ratings:
    +1,770 / 4
    WOW! Britain on the Brink

Just read that the BBC just reported Leave won the referendum.

Is this the begining of the dismantling of the EU?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice