When will Americans Learn?

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by Lenni & Jodie, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Texasproud

Texasproud Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0
    I would not expect people from all countries to understand the right to bear arms. I would expect that all would understand and acknowledge the history of government tyranny and oppression in the world. Americans have an inborn mistrust of government and the right to bear arms arose from the experience that created that mistrust. Our native Americans are an excellent example what happens when a government's power goes unbalanced. The U.S. was not invaded by ground forces of Japan in WW II in part because of the armed citizens. If you don't believe that my being armed is a deterrent to you imposing your own will on me, then I invite you to come and give it a try. The numbers of armed law abiding citizens is a very similar deterrent in regards to a government with similar intentions. While a government might be able to overcome the citizens it wishes to oppress the difficulty of that task makes it very unlikely. On a smaller scale it is also a proven deterrent to individuals that wish to do others harm. Laws do not prevent criminals from possessing weapons of any kind. Laws merely deter law abiding citizens from prescribed items and or activity.

2. SheikYerboottie

SheikYerboottie Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Kinda sux there is so much morbid dysfunction 'round the world these days. I do know if there was no USA, there would be no free countries in the world, too......

3. marshe

marshe The Original Hottie and Hellraiser Registered Member

when not on vacation, home based 25 mns from Toron
    Ratings:
    +1,770 / 4
    Luv Chris Rock

4. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    Oh come on, that is the kind of rhetoric that encourages people to start antagonistic threads like this.

There are lots of 'free countries' around the World. Many of whom were 'free' long before the US was even born as a Republic.

5. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    You had to go back 25 years and cover the whole of Europe plus Canada to find the same kind of incidents that the US sees in a year or two.

The Paris situation (also Canada and Australia recently) is different. Those who commit those crimes are committed terrorists and not comparable to random loonies, usually on medication, having easy access to guns. These Muslim terrorist incidents will become more and more common, and the US will not be excluded from it, whether citizens are armed or not.

Gun ownership didn't stop the Boston Marathon bombing or 9/11 did it?

6. SheikYerboottie

SheikYerboottie Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Steve, I was referring to the modern day world, like from at least the mid 1970's till now, espcially important after 9/11......

7. r&a 1964

r&a 1964 Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +669 / 1
    Agree with everything except the go back 25 years and cover the whole of Europe and Canada to find. I just used Countries that you would think never have this kind of thing in Europe to make a point. The Canadian examples were only because it was a Canadian pointing his holier than thou finger across the border. How many people did the drug cartels kill along the US Mexican border in 2014? Every large city in the world has dozens of murders every year. How many shootings were there in Mexico city last year? Look up any Canadian City with a population of more than 500,00 and they have dozens of shooting victims annually. My only contention is that strict gun laws don't stop gun violence. And that governments and organized cartels and terrorists kill more people annually than random loonies, usually on medication ever will.
    I just don't get that when its a loonie on medication why people think the solution is to take guns away from law abiding citizens. Law abiding citizens have the power to stop the loonie.

Also totally agree on your point about the Boston bombing and 9-11. But that also makes the point that if you want to kill people you don't need a gun. 0 guns doesn't = 0 mass killings. Even by loonies.

8. JessandRob

JessandRob Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Ottawa population @ 900 000......2014 homicides 7. ...1 of 7 gun related (CBC news)

9. r&a 1964

r&a 1964 Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +669 / 1
    I stand corrected.

10. jeff & deb

jeff & deb I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0
    I was just wondering where and how you got this info, I've been searching and can't find anything about any shooting/homicides stats anywhere in Canada for 2014, any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

I found it, but also found this Ottawa's record 49th shooting of 2014 happens New Year's Eve night ... record-high year for shootings (many of them gang-related) in 2014?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice