When will Americans Learn?

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by Lenni & Jodie, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve CCC's The Dude Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6,152 / 7
    [​IMG]

WTF, didn't you just go around Halloween? LUCKY!

2. marshe

marshe The Original Hottie and Hellraiser Registered Member

when not on vacation, home based 25 mns from Toron
    Ratings:
    +1,770 / 4
    Yes we did just leave 26 days ago.
    But that is normal every year for us.
    we go 4 or 5 times a year

C'Mon down for the Yuletide season Steve

3. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve CCC's The Dude Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6,152 / 7
    That's awesome, and thanks for the invite. Pretty sure the 3.5 year old would flip if I wasn't around for Christmas. I have only been twice (Sept 13 & 14). But after we left last time I started to plan for May. I didn't want to wait a full year again. Plus I hope to go to Germany in Sept 2015 for Oktoberfest.

I wish I could go more, but a play off the title of this thread "When will Americans learn"...to get more vacation time? My answer is never :( I only get 15 days, and my wife gets 10. It is awful, and one of my least favorite things about employers in the US. I worked 5+ years at my last company and was up to 20 days, but moving jobs often means starting over.

While at Temptation I seem to find myself hanging with many Canadians. By the end of the week I start thinking about moving there after hearing how good some of the perks are.

4. Brewster

Brewster I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Perks like Universal Healthcare and naked curling...

5. Justrob

Justrob Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +206 / 0
    Wrong. Without the 2nd the 1st would be easily taken away

6. Donald

Donald Devil's advocate Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,133 / 2
    An observation Ive seen about these gun debates ,, American,s don't care weather or not its a good idea to carry guns,,, they just argue its there right to , to avoid debating it.

so hence the OP,s origanal coment ''when will they ever learn'' , what would it take to get you past '' your right to carry'' versus .. maybe its not a good idea ?

personally I think USA is gone past the point of gun control ,, theres just too many of them out there,, so any debate on the subject is pointless.

and to the posters that think Canadians should not post on the subject , this is an international forum and a lot of Americans and Canadians share mutual interest and a lot are close friends.
    People have different levels of passion and knowledge on the subject and comments should be taken with that understanding.
    If you don't agree with a comment educate the person, don't shut them down.

7. Brewster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    The pen is mightier than the sword. I don't think for a second that Canada, UK, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, etc. are in any danger of losing their right to free speech. I don't think you are either.

8. twinimini

twinimini I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    Whenever the subject of gun control arises it always brings out the emotions on both sides of the debate. I think there is a very interesting take on the issue when you look at two huge American cities. Chicago has some of the most stringent gun control laws in the US. Houston, on the other hand has some of the most lax gun control laws. It's pretty easy to legally purchase guns in Houston and almost impossible to legally purchase guns in Chicago. Both cities have a similar size and ethnic breakdown. So, if the gun control folks are correct, then Chicago should be safe and Houston should be a killing ground. The reality is just the opposite.

Looking at gun control as being the panacea that would eliminate violent behavior is unlikely. To me the irony in the gun control debate is the Hollywood types who are so anti gun but, yet, they have made fortunes selling violent movies and music.

9. Brewster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    How true about Hollywood (Although there are a few gun nuts still there...right Chuck Norris? LOL). The violence in Chicago is often sited. In fact, with a brief blip, gun violence in Chicago has decreased substantially.

The other important factor, regarding gun control in Chicago, is that it's like having a non-smoking section on a plane.

I think most people agree that it isn't simply access to guns. There are other reasons why people shoot other people. These need to be addressed in order to reduce violent crime.

I wonder if people would be prepared to agree that if all the causes of violent crime were addressed there would still be more gun deaths and injuries in America than in other parts of the Western World. Accidents (Over 500 children annually for instance) hunting accidents, crimes of passion, reaction to tresspassing and defending property, suicide (Studies show this is more likely with a firearm available), etc..

I think it's the price you pay for the right to bear arms.

10. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    Every developed country has Universal Healthcare doesn't it?

But yeah Naked Curling. I can see the appeal in that :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice