Spirit Airlines

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by tflexxin, Oct 13, 2014.

1. BVG_Steve

BVG_Steve Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I use Spirit to Cancun at least 5 to 6 times per year and only 1 time experienced a delay in the past 5 to 6 years. I fly jet Blue and American 1-2 times per year and experienced more delays on both of those than Spirit.

With that said I fly Spirit from FLL and it is only an 80 to 90 minute flight. And over 90% of the time the yare a lot cheaper than JB or American. In fact they can be as much as 40 to 50% cheaper. Now I bring no luggage with me except 1 personal item which spirit allows free, in fact I bought a special oversized laptop case on wheels designed to comply with spirit free item size. I do not reserve seats in advance and never had an issue of sitting together with my family.

I would avoid any flight that is not non stop, but I have no issues flying Spirit if they save me $150 which I estimate is about the average I save per ticket.

I go down alone a lot but at least 3 times per year with my family, so 4 tickets per flight and save $150 per ticket = $600 per flight savings. 3 flights per year = $1800 per year savings. We have been using Spirit regular for past 7 years.

7 years saving $1800 per year plus adding a 5% interest rate means I saved $14,776.22. So I will pass on the free beverage and chips for that kind of savings. Spirit does a fine job of getting me from point A to point B, and there is a reason why they are the fastest growing airline in the industry

2. Arizona Al

Arizona Al Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Lied to by Spirit Airlines

I was supposed to leave Phoenix at 1:00 AM today for Cancun. The lady at the Spirit Airlines counter said I was required by federal law to have a return ticket. I told her I have never needed a return ticket when flying to Mexico and that she was mistaken. She said I can't issue you a ticket so I asked her to refund my ticket which she did. Today I went to the Spirit Airlines website to call them and complain but they don't have a phone listed anywhere that I could find.

My advise is to stay away from Spirit Airlines.

Today I booked my flight with Southwest Airlines and saved about $1.00 with no fees for checked bags, carry on bags, or my laptop.

Al

3. ajay

ajay HnH Repeat Offenders Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,370 / 0
    Spirit is an ok airline if you do it smart and watch the extra add ons. I prefer jet blue as they seem more reliable and you get one bag per person free.

4. BVG_Steve

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Jet Blue may seem more reliable but the actual stats to not show that. Both have similar stats as far as on time performance and both are pretty decent. Also JB does not give free anything, they do allow 1 bag no extra charge but it is not free as it is included the much higher ticket prices they charge.

You have to match apples to apples as Spirit is almost always a lot cheaper which more than offsets anyone paying for a bag, some chips and a beverage while flying Spirit.

Also noteworthy almost every airline is now copying Spirit's business mode and the majority of profits for airlines now come from add on fees and the industry will continue to move this way as that model works regardless how much consumers complain about it.

5. BVG_Steve

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The days of 1 bag free on JetBlue are history with yesterdays announcement. JetBlue is now adding a baggage fee and adding more seats per plane, shortening the leg room. They are the last carrier other than Southwest to have a bag fee and to follow Spirits lead in changing the airline industry.

Spirit started this trend and now every airline is copying Spirit

6. jnine

jnine I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2,830 / 3
    If it's a choice between flying Spirit and walking, give walking serious consideration. We hate those nickel and dime you, never on time basta_#*s.

7. Bobsplace

Bobsplace Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If Southwest doesn't fly somewhere then I probably don't need to go there.

8. jnine

jnine I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2,830 / 3
    Good call. I like Southwest but since Delta is the big gorilla in this state i get a lot of miles with them. Not that I have any great love for Delta, but its a barely working relationship based on geography. Keeping with them gets me a few perks though so I stay with it.

9. Emandkay

Emandkay Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I can't say anything good about Spirit. Stressful and uncomfortable. The seats are too close and the ones you can pay more for are ok but you might as well just pay more for a better airline. The bag weights are less than American, SW and AreoMexico.... Take a look.

The only time it is worth it is when other airlines are way over your limit. If you can go 500 bucks less that is my squeeze point. otherwise spend the money to start your vacation on the flight. You can't do that with Spirit.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice