Spirit Airlines

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by tflexxin, Oct 13, 2014.

1. tflexxin

tflexxin Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +998 / 0
    Cheapest flights, but I've heard bad thing about flight cancellations, delays, missed connections, etc.
    Can anyone provide any experiences? Good bad?

2. Edward-Alli

Edward-Alli Photofucker Registered Member

Ratings:
    +287 / 7
    Friends flew with spirit, and hated every minute of it. They charge you extra for every single thing, you end up paying more then other airlines. Total bull Shit airline.

3. GSpot69

GSpot69 Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0
    They can be ok, but be careful if they only have 1 flight that day. BUMP. Join the $9 fair club and you can save a bit. They are rated the worst airline but you can save a few bucks.
    check out yapta.com I started doing that to find the lowest rates. worked out great lately for us

4. tflexxin

Ratings:
    +998 / 0
    I knew they sucked with extra costs, but even with the extra costs it's significantly cheaper than any other airline. But I am seriously considering dropping the extra $600 for two to get direct flights on a major airline

5. Edward-Alli

Edward-Alli Photofucker Registered Member

Ratings:
    +287 / 7
    I will personally never will use connecting flights, Did that the first time to TTR. Now I will only go direct. Faster to the sexy pool and to the party. Why waste the whole first day and last day travelling, cuts your vacation time.

6. McKellar77

McKellar77 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0
    We have used Spirit for our last 2 trips. We think they are great. We knew about all of the extra fees up front and we still saved a ton of money. They do have a 40 pound weight limit instead of the normal 50 pounds for other airlines, but on our last trip, I was 3 pounds over and they didn't say a word. Just make sure to pay for your bags online and not when you get to the airport. We didn't mind having to pay for snacks and drinks because we were only planning on drinking alcohol and we would have had to pay for that on any flight. I have heard a lot of bad things about Spirit, but from my experience, I would highly recommend them.

7. scottydog

scottydog I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,124 / 2
    We flew Spirit last Spring...and there were positives and negatives. Even adding in the extra baggage and carry-on fees...and paying to reserve seats so Jamie and I could sit together...it was the cheapest option when we booked. The seats are smaller and closer together...the 40 lb weight limit for checked luggage meant we had to pay for an extra checked bag (still cheaper than other airlines). The only issue was that a couple weeks after we booked on Orbitz, I got an e-mail asking me to call Orbitz directly about a change in our flight plans where I was then directed to call Spirit. The change was kind of big...they cancelled all May flights to and from Cancun and she asked me to re-book in June. I asked her if she was nuts. Our flight to Cancun on April 30 was ok and Orbitz found me a return flight on American at about the same price.

This trip, we decided to avoid Spirit and book non-stop flights. In a pinch if it was the best option...I'd fly Spirit again... but to cancel Cancun flights during May was an odd move and I'd probably be worried that would happen again.

On a bright note...Our connection out of Ft. Lauderdale had flight attendants that I swear Hugh Hefner hired himself. I realize that to say that may not be politically correct...but let's just say that I paid full attention to the pre-flight safety briefing and invited each of them over to discuss some of the intricacies around the proper latching of my seat belt and the ins and outs of being in an emergency exit seat.

8. Carolinacouple

Carolinacouple Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As a travel agent I can only tell you this....we NEVER book with them unless a client demands we do. We have had more issues with Spirit than all the other airlines combined. If you absolutely positively need to be somewhere....like a wedding, funeral, or graduation there is no way I would use them. However if you are not in a rush and have lots of flexibility and feel like saving a few bucks has priority over reliability/price go for it. We always tell our clients not to get upset if "stuff" happens because you get what you pay for. I even fly them at times.....when I am not on a tight schedule of course.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  9. tflexxin

Ratings:
    +998 / 0
    Thanks for the feedback.. We're booked now, and I'll be interested to see how our red-eye flight goes!

10. Clint & Julie Anderson

Clint & Julie Anderson Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am guessing that Spirit airlines is the discount airfare they are talking about when you buy into the resort. Does anyone know if that is correct? We recently became premier members and we supposedly get 15 percent discount on airfare through our World Pass membership but I am having a heck of a time figuring it all out. From what I can see so far the flights are horrible and not very convenient for us. If anyone has any more info on this please feel free to share.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice