Tr 4/5 - 4/11

Discussion in 'Grand Oasis Viva' started by crissynchris, Apr 11, 2014.

1. crissynchris

crissynchris Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0
    Whew! Just got home back to Texas and wanted to share our experience at GOV. We had an absolute BLAST!!

I emailed Valentina prior to our trip requesting an upgrade to the Sian Ka'an room for my wife's birthday. She replied that she couldn't guarantee it, but she would note it on our reservation. I also let her know we had several other couples meeting us there and that we would be very disappointed if they were "bumped" to another resort. Upon arriving (after a great transport from USA Transfers) we were lead to the VIP Lounge. Our room wasn't ready, but they had everything in order for our upgrade as requested. We got our bracelets and were off to the pool! We hung out there for a couple of hours then went back to check on the room. After waiting about another 30 minutes I was getting frustrated but that was probably my own fault as it was still a little before 3. Anyway, they did get us our keys and had our bags sent up. The room was GREAT! No issues with A/C, water, fixtures, TV, or Fridge. And the patio with the jacuzzi and bed is amazing! I would highly recommend the upgrade, although none of our other friends really complained about theirs either and they were all in regular rooms. And, nobody in our group got bumped!

Food was very good depending on where you went. We really liked the Moroccan, Italian, and Maki Taco. Never tried White Box because we didn't feel like standing in line for a reservation but that was fine. The buffet could definitely use some work as the A/C doesn't work very well and they did run out of things seemingly each day. The omelette station was great though! Wimpy's by the pool was great for a mid-day snack after hanging at the pool and drinking all day! You just had to watch and pick your time when the line was smaller. They could use another grill and cook for sure but it wasn't a big deal. We ordered room service three times in the wee hours of the morning and the food was good! We had the club sandwich, burger, ceasar salad, and fajitas.

The bars were great! Francisco took GREAT care of us all week at the bar near the pool (not the swim up bar). Whatever we asked for he took care of, never really had terribly slow service there either. It did seem like the swim up bar got overwhelmed from time to time, but I think some of that was people just hanging out in front of the bar making it difficult to get to the bartenders.

As far as the nightlife and "sexy vibe" - yeah- they have a little ways to go on that. Coyote Bar was fun at times and boring at others. There wasn't much participation on the theme nights. The women in our group brought really sexy outfits and looked amazing but I think they felt a little out of place with so few others dressed up. Not sure how much blame I would put for that on the hotel vs. people just not participating but I guess they could do a little more in the way of advertising it and getting people excited.

We think the bottom line is, the people make the vacation and we met some absolutely AWESOME people from Texas, California, Canada, all over! We had one of the best vacations we've ever had and loved hanging out with all of them all week. We've been to TTR three times and honestly have to say we had WAY more fun at GOV. Again, you and the people you meet and party with are what makes the vacation for us and this one was unforgettable!

Thanks to Valentina and the other staff as well as our old and new friends for making this one incredible week!! Back to reality for now.....

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  2. StewKris2000

StewKris2000 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the report. It seems like some of us had a blast, and some of us had a miserable time. We had a blast!

3. esparamedic12

esparamedic12 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank for the trip report.. I have to agree.. You make your own vacation and fun.. I cant wait to get there on MAY 2nd!!!!

4. jeff & deb

jeff & deb I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0
    See now I read this and can't wait, read others and just not sure... but your right we've been to resorts where the main food was wieners and we still had fun.. So I'm thinking we can have fun here.. plus its looking like some really good people are going to be there the same time as us.. We'll have fun.. I know it...

5. summerbum

summerbum I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +738 / 0
    My little head is spinning trying to figure out why people are having such different experiences at this hotel. I don't think it's because some people are picky and some are laid back (well...except the chick who complained about laundry. She's probably picky....)

If Valentina is taking care of you, you get a good room. Otherwise, you're out of luck. I can't figure out why service after that is bi-polar. Disappointing about the nightlife.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  6. crissynchris

crissynchris Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0
    Yeah, I don't know. I can't really explain how some people had such a bad time. Just different personalities I guess. We really didn't enjoy TTR near as much but that's just us. TTR felt like a bunch of clicky groups who knew each other from before and anyone else was an outsider. Anyone who saw us at GOV this past week knows we talked to just about everyone and always tried to make people feel welcome. Didn't feel that way at ALL at TTR.

But that's just us... everyone's mileage will vary!

7. FUN IN THE SUN

FUN IN THE SUN Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +143 / 0
    Thanks for your report.
    Glad to hear you had a fun time and the people were great.

"If Valentina is taking care of you, you get a good room. Otherwise, you're out of luck. I can't figure out why service after that is bi-polar. Disappointing about the nightlife"
    Exactally what we were thinking.

Damn everyone on vacation is from Texas!!!!!!!!!!

8. tanyaandshawn

tanyaandshawn Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +177 / 1
    We are also confused about the huge differences in reviews... we are going to be there on may 13th and are going to have a great time !!!!
    I agree to a point a vacation is what u make it as well as the people there at the time.
    I can definitely see how a hotels service could spoil the stay a little but we can usually have fun no matter how bad the accommodations are.. ;)
    Thank you for ALL reports ( good and bad )
    I'm glad you guys had a great time......

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Excellent TR! Thanks for sharing. I wonder how often the bumping to sister resorts happen?!

Def thinking the San Kai suite is the way to go- wish they had more than 10!

10. Kris&dwight

Kris&dwight Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm so glad you had a great time. now I can't wait to go. only a few more weeks:)
    how much in advance did you email valentina for a room upgrade?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice