Are you going to sign up for Obamacare?

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by twinimini, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Ben & Lisa

Ben & Lisa Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    What you seem to be saying is you are for socialized medicine. I can think of no better way to stifle innovation and reduce quality than removing the free enterprise system and inserting the government in its place.

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    On a National basis yes, because it works. We invented it, every other 1st World country (apart from the US) followed with a similar system and enjoy longer life expectancies and lower infant mortality rates while costing less money to run.

The US spends the most per capita out of any country on healthcare, yet it ranks 37th on the list of healthiest countries. UK spends half as much money and lies 18th.

On an Individual basis we also have Private healthcare too for those who can afford it and choose to use it.

I can think of no better way to rip people off than put their well being to the mercy of those who seek to profit from it. You think the free enterprise system really cares about your health and those of your fellow countrymen?

Let me ask this. Why do you believe (I'm presuming you do) that other services that are funded by taxation are ok and only health care isn't? I'm thinking Schools, Police Force, Fire Service, road building and maintenance, snow clearing, street lighting etc. What makes healthcare funded from general taxation less acceptable than education funded from the same source?

Surely to follow your logic, all of those things should also only be available to people who pay for them individually and those that don't should go without rather than be subsidised by those that can.

3. twinimini

twinimini I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    Oh no Steve! This is scary.....I agree with you. :aktion014: Although your points are the direct reasons why Obamacare is not the answer. Obamacare does put healthcare directly into the hands of the insurance companies and the perfect example of how well that will work is what we spend on pharmaceuticals each year. Big Pharma controls what we spend on drugs and it is incredible how expensive it is. Obamacare is a blank check written out to a huge industry and that doesn't bode well for either the taxpayers or those who need the services.

I have heard others say the French system for healthcare works well. Does anyone have any information on how their system functions?

4. Ben & Lisa

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    Steve, you can chalk that up to eating habbits and stress.

Steve, I have no problem paying for services rendered.
    I also support strictly limited government. Socialized medicine would be a huge expansion of government, that I do not support.
    Further, I cant support Obama care in its current form as its nothing more than social engineering on a grand scale and a give me to Obama's supporters in the insurance industry.

5. prhodes

prhodes Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0
    I imagine if we spent less on military spending keeping all of our allies safe and comfy and quit giving aid to all the 3rd world countries and quit paying rouge countries off for not making nukes all of us in the United States could have free health care. "just a thought".

6. yvr1

yvr1 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Actually, you might not be aware, but we have a conservative government here in Canada. It's just not a bat-shit crazy style of conservatism that Teabaggers like you aspire to. Priorities here include things like business, healthcare and education, while priorities for you would include stockpiling your basement with canned goods and ammunition.

BTW, to rewind for a moment, a few people here were trying to clear up basic misconceptions about universal healthcare. Nothing more. It was you who jumped in, beating his chest and making the typical self-proclaimations of superiority. In the process, you disparage every person that works in healthcare here by using such words as bush league and dog shit in a weak effort to make your point.

I've noticed over the years, those that are most vocal on this issue are often times not even entitled to an opinion on the matter. For instance, I see that you live in a state that your own countrymen refer to as the armpit of America, or America's ass-crack even. Yet you prefer to come here and dictate to people about being the best? Do you see any difficulties in respect to credibility here?

7. Ben & Lisa

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    Fug off, bottom feeder.
    Lets say the US socializes medicine over night, what effect would this have on the rest of the world? I promise you that drug R&D in particular and med research would take a dive. That effects everyone.

8. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    I was interested so looked it up:

Sounds reasonable to me. (My bold)

9. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    I think the UK has it's fair share of bad eating habits and stress too. Also a huge problem with high alcohol consumption. 15th highest in the World compared to the US at 43rd. The UK used to be 14th until I left.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned so far is the vast amounts of money Govt funded healthcare put into prevention. Obviously prevention is better than cure and it's cheaper too.

In the UK there are constant ads on TV and in newspapers and on billboards about the dangers of smoking and drinking, how to self check for Breast Cancer, Testicular Cancer, free phone support for the depressed and suicidal. There are free stop smoking drugs, patches etc and support classes for alcoholics, the depressed etc. Funded by Govt not charities.

I don't watch a great deal of TV here in Mexico, but when I do it's US channels. I see none of that in their ads. Instead it's all Insurance companies and this or that wonder drug (always with a half page of small print disclaimer spoken at 15 words per second).

But hey, there ain't no money in people not being sick.

10. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    Hey Ben, what happened?

A while back you didn't care about the people in your own country who couldn't afford medical treatment. Now you care about the whole World ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice