Contacts Needed...

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Kris in Cancun, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Kris in Cancun

Kris in Cancun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a family member who owns a condo at El Pueblito (small property next to Playa Delfines). She is an owner (not timeshare) since the 70's and needs some help with the current hotel situation. The "situation" is this: El Pueblito closed in the fall with no listed date of re-opening. The condo owners are being told that the owners of El Pueblito are waiting to see if a Spanish company will purchase the property and continue renovating (which they can't do without the signatures and approval of condo owners). In any case, its a HUGE mess.

I would like to ask if any of you guys know of a local lawyer (who has some influence) who would work with the condo owners on this. If you would prefer, please PM me with info.

I appreciate any input you guys might have.

Kris

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Kris - I just PM'd you a list of attorneys who come recommended or with whom I have experience.

3. Kris in Cancun

Kris in Cancun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks so much, Kim. My internet has been down at home...again! So, I've had limited access for the past few days. I appreciate your input.

Take Care,
    Kris

4. johndish

johndish Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am under the impression that the hotel has some legal challenges.... I am not sure what this means. The reality is that if a spanish company comes in and wants to invest millions they will probably want to buy out (best case) or not honor the existing hotel contracts. I wish your friend good luck!

5. razemania

razemania Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Kris,

I've attempted to document the story of El Pueblito on my blog. I found your posts to be helpful in attempting to pinpoint it's closing date. I'd love to know what else you've learned since you last posted this.

It truly is sad.

Modern Day Ruins: El Pueblito Beach Resort, Cancun

I'm also trying to figure out the answers to these questions:

What year did the resort open?
    When did it officially close?
    What were the reasons it closed?
    Who owns the land now?
    Any plans to rebuild or replace the resort?

What was the structure next door that is also abandoned?

Kind Regards,

Brian

6. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    As far as I know Kris left Cancun some years ago and hasnt been back to this forum for almost 2 years. The thread is 6 years old, you might want to send her a Pm at least that way she will get an email alert :)

As you mention on your blog, the reason for it closing was severe damage due to Hurricane Wilma in Oct 2005. I guess the cost of repairs were too much for it to re-open.

7. razemania

razemania Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Steve - thanks for the quick reply. I didn't realize it's been so long since Kris has been on, but I guess it's worth a shot anyway.

My family and I just visited Cancun a few weeks ago (staying at the GR Solaris) and really enjoyed it! I saw the El Pueblito on our walks and was captivated by wanting to learn more (as you see from my blog, it's a huge interest).

Do you know when it opened? I think it was sometime in the 1970s. Also, do you have any idea what the building was to the right of the resort? I don't think it was part of it.

I found some great information in the posts here. It was very useful - a great historical record.

Brian

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice