Permanent Residency Requirements

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Nov 12, 2012.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Yep, that's good news, Steve! You are now just one step away from never having to fool with this again!
    I suspect your a good record keeper, T.J.: having copies of each and every one of these FM3/2s will improve the chances they will credit them to establish your eligibility under the four year, continuous residency in Mexico requirement (one of the several ways to qualify for permanent residency).
    You read that right, Hacienda. To get to that result, INM has to believe that it is probable that your financial situation hasn't changed, if you say so; but, the new, tougher financial requirements may lead them to ask to see how things are with the applicant, currently, meaning they'll ask for financial statements and records.

If it were me, I'd go in the first time, printed online application forms and all other required forms- minus the financial information- and present the required letter that states that there have been no changes since the last application (if you wanted to test your reading of the law, or had a concern about meeting the new, tougher financial requirements). If they refused to accept the application, you could always regroup and try again, with supporting financial information.
    Again, you're right. After completing the online application, the applicant prints it and takes it to the INM, along with all supporting, required documents, just as before.

2. hacienda b

hacienda b Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'll keep you posted,
    won't be before june / july though.

what I will try first: see next post.

3. hacienda b

hacienda b Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think,
    that the most logical thing to try.
    thank you for the great advice.

I"ll just take copies of my bank statements with me,
    but hold them back till they ask for them.:huh::read:

thanks again, V. :clappyinghappy::clappyinghappy:

4. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    No one has reported getting the permanent residency card, in hand, on this forum.

Steve looks to me to be the best positioned to be the first to take the honors!

Mine seems to have fallen into a deep hole....

5. Alma Libre

Alma Libre Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So it begins

We're starting our journey tomorrow. We usually do our own, but seeing as this is *hopefully* our last one, we are handing it off to Mauricio.

He should submit it on Tuesday and we will join the wait.

Suerte to all!
    Rob

6. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    It's natural that more posts with complaints will appear here than posts talking about how smoothly things went, but I'm surprised that no one has yet reported getting the permanent residency card on this forum.

I anticipated that there could be delays in the processing of my application because the point system had/has not been yet developed; but, I'd still like some feedback on what, if anything, is being done with my tramite at this point. All they've offered, so far, is that it was forwarded to Mexico City on 18 January. I'll be going to INM again tomorrow to see if there has been any subsequent communications between Mexico City and the local office about it, and to urge the local office to make inquiries, if there has been none.

7. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Permanent Residency, at last!

Well now, I can at least be one person who has reported getting his permanent residency card: I picked mine up, today, after what was the longest wait I've experienced when dealing with INM, after being fingerprinted.

In my case, at least, requiring the cards be issued by the Headquarters of INM in Mexico City added just about six weeks to the total process time!

8. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Congratualtions V!!!! So no more immigration ever from now on? Do you think we will still have to go to the little immigration booth at the airport when we fly out of the country?

9. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    That´s a very interesting question, Mat, given that on the back of the card it reads, in part, "This card permits multiple entry/exit"

We'll see....

Now, my wife has asked me to sponsor her for permanent residency, so my days of visiting the INM are far from over!

I must say that on the last visit my attitude towards the whole thing had turned a little negative, but I managed to stiffle it. Years of dealing with bureaucracies has equipped me keep a pragmatic approach going, and surpress what would otherwise be a normal response to extreme provocation!!!

10. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Why bother?

I think I've mentioned this before, but about two years ago when I began to understand how the immigration process could be accelerated, using the laws then on the books, I began to shape my life in a way that would put me in a position to do that.

The recent changes to the law, which included the creation of the point system, fit in nicely with my plans: as soon as I could, I applied for permanent residency, based on points. But why bother, right?

I work in Mexico, plan to continue working here, and have ambitions of starting one or more businesses so, for me, the main motive was to get to a position, as quickly as possible, in which I would be as free as a Mexican Citizen to pursue lawful, remunerative activity, without having to ask for permission from INM.

Having become a permanent resident, with permission to work included in my new status, I am now obliged to do no more than keep INM informed what I'm up to.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice