Are you scared?

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by twinimini, Oct 2, 2012.

1. twinimini

twinimini I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 0

I agree 100%. Let's start with a 1% cut in spending and that much of a tax increase. The hit to the economy should be minimal and it would be a start to fiscal responsibility. Something has to be done or the consequences could be catastrophic.

2. slore19

slore19 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I thought I would research the free cell phones and I found out the Lifeline Program was created in 1985 (Reagan) and was for landlines. In 1997 (Clinton), the USF fee was created to fund it. In 2005(Bush), cell phones were added. So who is really to blame for this? BOTH PARTIES. They are one in the same. Time for a new player.

3. twinimini

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    I knew the program had been around for quite a while but I didn't know who had originated it. Now it is really out of control. You are right, both parties created this particular Frankenstein monster and no one wants to step up to stop it.

I just saw a statistic that is really scary. Almost one third of the US is on some form of public assistance such as food stamps, welfare, housing assistance, and so on. This does NOT count Social Security and Medicare. The average benefit is $9,000 per person. Sad to think that programs started almost 50 years ago to end poverty have done nothing but create an atmosphere of government dependence that just perpetuates itself.

4. slore19

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
  5. twinimini

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    I've seen that one. To add to the mess you have one a guy sent me today showing six old people in a retirement home saying that if you vote Republican then their Medicare will be cut off. Neither side is exempt from gross exaggerations on this election.

6. slore19

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I wish there was a clear campaign budget that candidates had to stick to, and only advertisements paid for by each political party were allowed. No Vets for Obama/Romney, just strictly their own ads. This would also allow 3rd party candidates to compete fairly

7. twinimini

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    The "check the box presidential campaign" box on your 1040 was supposed to take care of that situation, but instead it is just a free for all on spending. Of course the media doesn't want to see a cap on the spending because of the impact the cap would have on their income. McCain had proposed legislation that would have put a cap on spending, but that got shot down years ago. It is really out of hand when we see billions spent on an election, particularly when most of it seems to be spent on spewing out half truths and outright lies.

8. BigRed

BigRed Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Twin I dont expect anyone to pay for my dental bills but myself. I have a full time job, pay taxes, live on my own, and do everything everyone else does. It is not that easy to come out of college and earn enough to pay for car, gas, insurance, food, cable, rent, so on and so fourth that im sure you understand. At the end of the day the problem is that it costs a boatload for any medical help unless you have insurance which also costs a boatload. I agree with the fact that in order to pay for social programs the money has to come from somewhere, but you cannot simply flat out cut certain benefits - and in order to really regulate benefits people need to surrender certain constitutional rights.

I completely understand the all earned money needs to have taxes paid upon it - but as we both know there are ways to eliminate taxation, defer taxation, offset taxation, and also as im sure your an expert at ways to incur business expenses to offset profits. Romney is in the business of outsourcing jobs - plain and simple. Romney tries to act like he is in touch with the middle class, but he is not in touch with anyone that has any financial troubles, he was born a rich man - no doubt he worked his ass off to succeed, and he is a successfull business man - but he isnt the type of business man that has gone leaps and bounds to create jobs here in america. But then again - he did create the blueprint for Obama-care. (which does need tweeking - i think the biggest problem in medical industry is the fact that drug company's make a disproportional amount of profit compared to doctors, etc.)

Women have the right to make any and all decisions they want. Job related, body related,

( not to mention lets make abortion illegal, but then cut social programs for young children that will end up being born into poverty and have no chance of competing and being productive for society in the long run.)

I talked about the 3% of small business's because thats what romney wants to cut taxes on. Most peoples small business is an actual small business - 2 million in revenue, not 10+.

Why is it that you seem to think ALL obamas ads are negative, ALL romneys ads are postive, depending on where u are is what u see - no president does anything in 4 years, the economy was fucked and anything anyone could do to fix it wouldnt have fixed it overnight. the stock market has almost doubled since obama took office no?

"The stock market has been on a tear since 2009, rising 76 percent since the day Obama was sworn in. " ...."Corporate profits tanked at the end of 2008, but they recovered strongly in 2009 and have been rising ever since."...."according to the National Association of Realtors. Today, that has drifted down to 13.9 percent. Overall, home affordability is the best it's been in more than 40 years." ..." The tax burden on just about everybody has fallen since Obama took office, thanks to a series of ongoing stimulus efforts."

Rick Newman of US News.

why GO BACK to what killed us in the first place - yeah social programs need to be looked at, but thats not obamas fault. there was already a snowball affect in place of people literally multiplying on gov. assistance. I agree there needs to be more oversight - but HOW?

Obama's jobs record: Better than Bush's - Sep. 18, 2012

im more willing to ride this out another 4 years than risk womens rights, risk clear forground that has been gained - and i could see in the next 4 years reductions in our national debt, more job creation due to more green energy and private sector growth, and hopefully sooner than later some way to regulating social programs so they are benefiting people that need benefit but that work to better themselves, and discipline people for taking advantage of the system.

i respect your view i just dont agree.

PS. If Romney cuts programs like FEMA - families 20 miles from me might be in even worse dire conditions because of this horrible hurricane that has hit my area - and without fema and gov programs to help the shore area, parts of new york city, atlantic city, god only knows how much worse things could be. My heart goes out to all these people and families recently rescued and we in NJ are great-full our local, state, and federal governments have been proactive and productive.

9. twinimini

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    Big Red, you've done a very good job of answering my question about the effects of negative political advertising. Let's start with your claim that Romney outsourced jobs. Wrong. Romney's investments are handled by a blind trust. That means that he has no control over how any of the money is invested or with whom it is invested. You have also parroted the Obama claim that Romney has no connection to the middle class. Hmm, let's see, Romney grew up in Michigan and started his own business and became successful. Obama spent his formative years in Islamic Indonesia, apparently went to school for free (although his educational records are sealed for some reason so we can't tell for sure) and you think Obama is more in touch with the American middle class. Really? Seriously, you think Obama with his free Harvard education and a man who never had a real job in his life is more connected to the middle class than a self made man who grew up in Michigan? Last time I checked people in Michigan were much more middle class than those in Indonesia.

You mention women's rights and what makes you think that Romney is against women's rights? Is it because he's a Republican and some Republicans have made some bone headed comments? Where do you see that in the Romney campaign? Or did that tidbit come from the Obama attack ads?

You also mention small business. Glad you brought that up. You see I'm a CPA and my specialty is taxation of small businesses. Let's see how wonderful your guy Obama is doing with these small business people. I serve over 300 small businesses ranging from one person companies to companies employing about 50 people. Obama's policies are such a hit with my clients that not one of them supports him. Think about that, not one single small business person that I know or deal with supports Obama. Now do your really think that Obama does a better job for small business than Romney would do? If you do think that you are in a very, very small minority.

Let me give you a prime example of Obama's "pro small business" posture. He proposed that ALL businesses must put up a poster telling all their employees that they have the right to organize in unions. If you want to kill small business, just set up unions for the companies and you'll see even more jobs in China. Oh, but what did Obama do when he helped put the GM bailout together? He CUT all the pensions for salaried workers but guaranteed all the pensions of the unions. He also handed over a major chunk of GM ownership to the unions while he told the bondholders to go to Hell. Can you spell vote buying?

Let's talk about education. Obama wants to throw billions more at education. Why? Because teachers have to keep their tenure and their massive pensions and their membership in the Democratic Party. With all the billions we have already spent on education what do we have to show for it? We have bloated teachers' unions that refuse to put the kids before their own self interests. The Buffalo school district spends more per student than practically any district in the US and how has that worked out? Less than half the kids even finish high school, but hey, that's okay, because we have a really strong and powerful teachers' union in Buffalo so the teachers make out pretty well and the kids don't really matter.

You also mentioned the stock market. Now why do you think those companies are so profitable and their stocks have gone up so much? Guess what? It's because they are no longer paying those high US wages by outsourcing everything they can overseas. If a major public company can send a job to China and saving thousands of dollars, then it will be done and the bottom line will grow accordingly.

You also implied that Romney will be going back to what got us in the jam in the first place. Obama's policies of spend, spend, spend are the policies that got us into this jam. He had his own Congress with a Senate controlled by Harry Reid and a House controlled by Nancy Pelosi and what did he do? He made everything worse, not better. He broke just about every promise he made and now he just lies some more.

Social programs are programs that you think should not be cut. Well, we really don't have any choice. We are running out of money and all Obama wants to do is to get another credit card. If I have a choice between voluntarily cutting programs today or being forced to take a meat cleaver to programs tomorrow, I'll opt for cuts today and have some of those programs survive.

Big Red, you will be paying for the mistakes of Barrack Hussein Obama for many, many years to come. When Jimmy Carter was President he made a huge error and let the Radicals take over Iran and we are still paying for that mistake that was made by an inept President over 30 years ago. If Obama could double the deficit in the last four years he can do it again in the next four years. Frankly I don't want to see my kids and their kids saddled with the mistakes of a President that just doesn't have any clue what he's doing.

10. BigRed

BigRed Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As I said i respect your opinions but i just dont agree

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice