Help needed!!! Planning on moving to Cancun!!!

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by ViktoriaUK, Oct 9, 2012.

1. ViktoriaUK

ViktoriaUK Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hi everyone!
    I am looking for imformation on living and finding a job in Cancun. Any input will be appreciated!
    I am 25, from Slovakia, currently living in London. I am well-travelled and experienced with the positives and negatives of living abroad.
    Im planning on moving to Cancun next April...till than I should be able to collect enough information about life in there and also should have some money saved up to move down there.
    So my questions are:
    Is it possible for foreigners to find a job in Cancun? I have a basic knowledge in Spanish and fluent in English. Mainly will be looking for a job as a waitress/bartender... I have years of experience...I would also be open to work as a nanny, in which I also have lots of experience. Is it logical for me to book a ticket there and have accomodation arranged and just look for a job?... I am willing to work legally or if neccessary illegally.
    Also is the money earned by waitressing enough for a person to rent and apartment and afford basic stuffs?
    I am in huge need of life change and planning on going there for 6 months and if needed work my butt off but also be able to enjoy the sunshine and club scenery there.
    Thank you very much for any information in advance!
    Have a great day!

2. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Great if you like riots and throwing rock at cops :)

Greece and Spain are two of the European countries suffering the worst from economical collapse.

3. ViktoriaUK

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hi CancunScorpio!

I guess my main priority would be to move there for 6 months and enjoy life in Cancun...learn the language a bit, make lots of friends, work, work, work but also go out here and there...I have experience with starting a life from scratch in a new country...I used to live in LA for a year and also moved a year ago to London on my own. I guess moving to an EU country would be easier...but there was always something about Mexico that attracted me and now I feel it would be the perfect time for me to move there for a lil bit.
    My plan so far is to save up couple thousand euros and arrange accomodation there and once Im there would be looking in the tourist areas for a hospitality job...I consider myself intelligent and Im not the ugliest girl either ;) I just never been there so I dont know if my plan is realistic enough.
    So, you would suggest trying Playa Del Carmen? Hmmm, I checked and it is pretty close to Cancun...will consider that idea!

4. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Victoria: Your plan sounds exciting!

During high season, there will be quite a few jobs around. Many will, due to your English skills, try to push you onto timeshare sales. If you are good with that, there is a lot of money to be made.

Many cases, they will hire a Mexican IF that Mexican can do the same as you offer. They try to prioritize their own citizens where applicable.

Waitresses, hostesses etc. always seem to be available.

Make sure that you get EVERY piece of paper translated by a professional - this should help you with every job you apply for.

The companies need to present "evidence" as why to hire you and a not a local, so any and everything that shows your experience/education, could be vital.

Some will offer work, "under the table". Thats fine if you dont mind being without legal support during work and ready to dodge when/if Immigration sends their inspectors around.

I will write more later.

5. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you only plan on being here for 6 months, you will probably not be able to get any papers to work here legally. (Also, most bartending and waiting jobs aren't available to foreigners on a legal basis)

But like others have said, you could pretty easily get a waiting/bartending job if you're willing to be paid "under the table" and without permission from immigration.

With the jobs you mentioned, you will have enough to live here, but you'd have to sacrifice lifestyle. You could rent a cheap apartment, go out to bars a few times a week and even explore the area (yay cheap bus system!) quite a bit. You'd have fun, but it wouldn't be luxurious haha

6. gabesz

gabesz Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You have a good idea, but the question is why choose Cancun of all places? Have you ever been to Cancun before? Do you know what it is like there? Just because it sounds like fun in the sun, there is more to living in Cancun that you may not be prepared for. I think those are questions you should answer first to yourself. For that matter you should ask the same questions for any other location as well be it in Mexico, or the EU countries.

7. ViktoriaUK

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hi guys!!
    Thank you for the positive feedbacks:) You are assuring me that my plan is attainable! Yes, I would defo go to Cancun on high season...when there are lots of tourists. I think I will try to go for getting paid under the table option...I wont expect a high hourly rate/salary...but thank god in the hospitality industry you can always count on tips...and everyone knows that Americans(and cancun is full with them) are very good with tipping.
    And as to why I am choosing Cancun and Mexico? As I said there was always something about Mexican culture that attracted me and it would be such a challenge and adventure to move there and find my own feet and get to know a bunch of people and enjoy life. Yes, I am aware of the dangers of living in Mexico...but wont be wondering around any dangerous areas...which is kinda same in every large city.
    Thank you very much for everyones input and if everything goes according to plans see you guys in Cancun in April!!!! :)))))
    And dear Rawkuss if you have any more valuable info about life and jobs in Cancun I am looking forward to hearing from you! Have a super day!

8. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    I think your best chance is either working as hotel Ents or Kids Club staff, or timeshare. The pay for hotel staff is not great though and may barely cover your living costs working 6 days a week. Timeshare can prove lucrative if you are good at lying to people and have little to no conscience. Working with those who are good at that makes the industry very cut throat and it's not for the feint hearted.

I would not think it likely you'd find a waitress or nanny job, plenty of Mexicans are looking for those jobs and with having only basic Spanish it would be tough. I have seen very few non Hispanic people doing this kind of job.

Only 6 months is also going to be a problem, if seeking employment imho. Hirers want longer term staff and most landlords longer term renters too.

You mentioned that you "arent the most ugliest girl either". A good looking 25 yr old Euro female will be able to open a few doors that others cannot. If you dont mind working that angle then it would definitely be in your favour in this country. Timeshare again comes to mind, also club promo, dancers etc.

My personal opinion, harsh it may seem is either bring enough cash to live on for 6 months with no intention of working and have a blast knowing it isn't forever and see what happens. Or, work on building some skills over the next few years that have a higher demand, plan to stay longer and aim for a job that pays a decent wage.

9. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Cancun IS the real Mexico. Unlike in Playa and Tulum, the majority of people working in the tourism industry are actually Mexican.

If you are cute, I am sure that you will be able to find an under the table job. But don't count on making a wage with which you can rent an apartment, buy food, pay for bus fare, etc. You will also be expected to work 6 days a week, many times for over 8 hours.

Don't expect to be well received by Mexican women, if you were to work under the table at a bar or club, realize that this is one less job for them in an already highly competitive job market!

10. ViktoriaUK

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thank you Cancunscorpio to bringin it to my attention, was checking and some sites say that high season begins with spring break which is from end of March...now will have to either postpone my journey or pick an earlier date...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice