Finding an Apartment

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Gmanca, Aug 30, 2012.

1. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Remember the OP wants to live in the best/safest/funnest areas.

I don't think some of the places mentioned in other posts or apartments for 5000 pesos are the best, or in the safest, or funnest areas?

If I was asked "you can live anywhere in Cancun" I would pick a huge penthouse over looking the beach with a myriad of amenities, not something by market 28. :icon_smile:

2. limejello

limejello Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In 2008, I lived behind Soriana/Home Depot on Kabah and paid $4500 a month for a 2 bedroom unfurnished, nothing included. That area was decent when I moved there, but someone climbed on the roof and stole all of the copper pipes leading to the tinacos. It went downhill really quickly from that point on. I also lived in Region 510, 103, and in Tierra Maya (a.k.a. casa de la chingada hahaha). Closer to Plaza Las Americas seems like a good bet, unless you really have a great budget and can afford the HZ.

3. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mat: Good point. Guess I slipped off topic a "bit" :)

Maybe my post can serve as a future tip for those whom are looking for affordable but safe places?

Ps. Id let you share my penthouse, but... meh, your win during the Euro Cup spoiled that chance, hehe ;)

4. Cancuna

Cancuna Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm Apt hunting full time

Rawkus, please tell me about the ones available in your street.

Today I spent the day looking for apt. Here is my impression-experience.

More offers than demand, yet it is still comparatively hard to find accomodation in this town.

Most are 3 bedrooms (posting unspecified space he needs) and one in Ave LaCosta strats at 8,000 for one month (rents by the month).

The ones unmediated by administradores are cheaper but other problems may arise.
    I had my hopes on Puerto Juarez near Playa del Nino. Today I combed the area looking at the seafront properties. I have several phone Numbers if you wish. But you need a car and the area is quite isolated. More than a guard spoke of increasing crime in the area. You can find an oceanfront 2 bedroom for US $800.

See novedades classified section, yes there are many at 4 or 5 thousand pesos except that your pet may refuse to live there.

The urban aesthetics of the downtown houses you'll have to discover when you get here!

I've rented in several countries in different continents. Cancun is not easy because apart from vacation rentals, the vast majority are sub-standard housing. Voila!

5. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Sounds like the Cancun I know, all right.

The Hotel Zone is different, and more or less beautifully developed: Cancun, the town, not so. 70% of the people live in a range from relative poverty to abject poverty, and it shows in the neighborhoods.

Mexico is a country that suffers from tremendous inequality of wealth: it is said that 35 families control the wealth of the country and poverty abounds as a result, in spite of the fact that Mexico has the 12th largest economy in the world!

That said, there are things to like about being here. I just returned from two hours sitting on the beach, looking out at Blue Bay and Isla Mujeres in the distance. The evening was magical, with perfect temperatures, a light breeze, and a full moon rising over the Caribbean.

That's minutes away, for people who live in Cancun, and that's part of the experience, too.

We plan to stay.

6. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hmm....I must have either lucked out finding places or have really low standards. I personally think there are PLENTY of nice places at good prices in Cancun, but one does have to look at it differently than one does when looking for an apartment in other countries.

Limejello: so you and your husband lived in the shoeboxes in Tierra Maya? ;) I thought Tierra Maya was far until I went to my sister-in-law's place in Villa Otoch de Paraiso. Now THAT place was small and faaarrrrr. My favorite neighborhood was Villa Quintana Roo...though I did hear the squeals from the rastro at night.

7. Gmanca

Gmanca Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the variety of opinions and abundance of information. I guess I should have been a little more specific. I'm just now learning a little (mostly from reading past posts from all of you) about Cancun outside of the HZ.

My plan for next year is to teach at a school called Comunidad Educativ del Sol which as I understand is not far from the airport and about 15km from the HZ.

Living in the HZ however is not the experience I'm looking for, I'd much rather be somewhere affordable that allows me to feel safe, be economical and have a good time while being in Mexico.

I'd much rather live somewhere central I think, around things to do and people to meet and commute to the school than live on the outskirts of the city or in the HZ. I think somewhere between 4000-6000/month would be where I'm looking to spend, although my liaison suggests 3000/month is what most teachers spend on rent.

You guys are so awesome for taking the time to help out an ignorant Canuck such as myself :flagcanada: hopefully we can hook up for a beer at some point.
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]

8. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,212 / 14
    CES is a great school. It is a bit of a trek from Centro and, at school times, traffic is heavy. Therefore, I'd suggest you don't look too far off the beaten track.

Circumstances allowing I'd second the SM15/18 area suggestion, however, one bedroom places and prices are not something I'm familiar with having two kids. There are a few apartment blocks around this area though that always have for rent signs, probably not as low as 3,000 a month, upper end of 4-6 would probably get you a nice place in a great location with a relatively easy and stress free commute.

Make sure you look at several different properties before deciding, there are a huge range of different places and price only seldom equates with quality.

9. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, in that case, I'd be more interested in finding a place as close as you can to the school but still in Cancun proper. Esepcially if you will not have a car! That would definitely stress my head! But in the price range you mentioned, I am sure that you will find a nice one bedroom.

Wouldn't bother so much with the furnished part...that'll cost more and you might find the furniture provided icky.

I also wouldn't bother looking from afar...you will find the best places when you are actually in Cancun and making calls and walking around neighborhoods you might like.

Good luck!

10. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,212 / 14
    Another suggestion: There's not that much close to CES that you're looking for - tends to be higher end properties with more than one bedroom. Cumbres, Villa Magna, Alamos etc

Check out Las Americas, that's about as close to CES as you can get with the housing you're probably seeking.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice