What happened to Telmex Internet speeds?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by CancunTom, May 14, 2012.

1. CancunTom

CancunTom Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Starting on May 1st, the internet service on Telmex went to hell. We have their fiber optics router/modem. They squeezed the bandwidth or something? We cannot watch any video without the stream stopping every 2-3 secs. We are paying for 10mbps and only getting about 1.5 mbps down on a good day. The upload speeds are generally 3-4 faster. This doesn't make sense. What you want is fast downloads. It was fine until May 1st, then they did something? Does anyone have any suggestion to get them to check if they have it wired backwards or to at least give us what we are paying them for?
    Very pissed and frustrated !!!!:icon_sad:

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    It's getting silly at the moment. Here is my speed today:

[​IMG]

and I am paying for 20Mb!

About 3 weeks after our fibre optic was installed 6 months ago the speed dropped from 18Mb down to about 7Mb, then dropped further to 3Mb.

Jannet must have called Telmex 20 times through March and April. Each time they send you through the reset your modem, delete your cookies, time how long it takes to download itunes palaver. We know full well that there is something wrong somewhere and it's not with our computers. We have 4 devices that are Internet enabled and each is suffering from the same problems.

We eventually managed to get some technicians round to check, they came on a relatively good day when we were getting 8Mb down and 18Mb up according to the various speed test sites. Of course, it should be the other way round. And I don't know why it reports such high upload speeds, because if I do try and upload a large file it is nowhere near what is reported. Anyway the technicians said it was working as intended and there was nothing further they could do.

Seriously thinking of switching to Cablemas as paying 1000 pesos a month for a speed not unlike a 28K modem in 1988 is ridiculous.

3. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    BTW this is the speed test site the Telmex technicians use:
    Internet Telcel - Medidor de Banda Ancha

It's currently showing me:
    Velocidad de Descarga: 546 kbps (68.3 KB/seg tasa de transferencia)
    Velocidad de Subida: 3188 kbps (398.5 KB/seg tasa de transferencia)

so half a meg download, 3megs upload.

4. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  5. TommyTuTone

TommyTuTone Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As a Cablemas user, I can tell you that Cablemas' internet is not great. There are highs and lows in their internet speed offered with the worst of the lows being in the evening when the younger generation is downloading. My greatest complaint with Cablemas is their consistancy to carry a VOIP signal and the fact that their customer service department cannot tell the truth. If you can live with that...enjoy.

Download speed[​IMG] 5389 Kbps
    Upload speed[​IMG] 975 Kbps
    D/load QOS[​IMG] 69 %
    U/load QOS[​IMG] 96 %
    RTT[​IMG]
    71 msMax Delay[​IMG]
    71 msAvg Delay[​IMG] 2 ms
    Max Bandwidth[​IMG]
    13600 Kbps
    Route Speed[​IMG]
    7384 Kbps
    Forced Idle[​IMG] 54 %
    Route Conc[​IMG] 2.5
    Download test[​IMG] s
    Upload test[​IMG] s

6. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I really don't have any complaints with Cablemas internet. I don't even know what I am supposed to be paying for, just something good and cheap. With my TV stuff, I pay $594.00.

[​IMG]

That said, for some reason, the bill I got yesterday is for $100 more, charging me for additional boxes that I do not have. Off you scream at them today, with a smile on my face. My assessment of Tommy's comments on their customer service is that it it useless to try to do anything over the phone. It seems to be harder for them to lie when I am staring into their eyes.

7. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    anyone know where i can find the full list of channels cablemas offers?

I can't seem to find them on their website? And can you flip the language to English etc. Like with Sky?

8. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Tom,

You are so funny. Find a channel guide online. English. Jajaja. Do you think you are in Miami?

Seriously, go to the top right corner of the Cablemenos home page and go to Cuidad, then enter Cancun. Then go to the Cable tab, scroll to the bottom of the page, click on Digital, for example, and Canales shows up in a black box on the right.

I went to one of the offices today to see why I was being charged for two additional boxes that magically appeared on this month's bill. They said I got two new boxes back in September. They could not produce a signed receipt where I picked them up. They could not explain why, if I picked them up in Sep, why did they not appear on any subsequent bill until the one that just came.

Finally, I said, let's go talk to my friend, Roberto Rodriguez. He listened to her drivel, then just apologized and told her to remove the charges from future bills, credit next month for the $100 extra they hit my credit card with, and to magically delete all references on my account to the magiclly appearing boxes. It took me 20 minutes of dealing with an incompetent before shooting my silver bullet. I also asked her to fix a long time problem that really did not bother me but I wanted her to accomplish something. The name on my account is Hussein Obama Barack and I am tired of being referred to that way. I told her my apellido is Obama and my names are Barack Hussein and to please stop calling me with their promos and asking to speak to Sr Hussein Obama Barack. They had my FM whatever when I set this account up years ago.

9. valgunn

valgunn Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    On Telmex and yes it is VERY painful right now.

10. SCMcons

SCMcons Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Speed today is terrible. Not much better then the old dial up days.

Download = .40 Mb/s
    Upload = .29Mb/s

This is worse than 85% of Mexico. Absolutely terrible.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice