CRUISING:To cruise or no to cruise?

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by regdog, Mar 5, 2012.

1. beach<3R

beach<3R Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Walmart people...haha...love it!
    We've done quite a few cruises in the past, but I don't see Jim and I going again unless it's a "take the kids with us" trip. I like kids, don't get me wrong, but if we are taking a trip without ours, then I don't want to deal with someone elses!!
    37 days until we meet you at the kid-free, walmart people-free buffet zone that is TTR Cabo! See you at the pool!

2. Waste

Waste Moderator Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The media? If we all believed the media, the travel industry as a whole would come to halt. Plane crashes, tour bus crashes, resort/hotel security & cleanliness, drug wars and killings, natural disasters, kidnappings... I don't listen to my doctor and barely listen to my accountant, and they have an interest in keeping me around... I don't see listening to the media in my future.

I figure it's all to scale when you tally up the head count. 1500 car accidents = 10 plane crashes = 1 cruise ship sinking. I'm in a car every day and on planes most days of the week... Now that I live in Toronto, it seems there's 100 accidents a day on a sunny day... 100 accidents an hour if a single snow flake or rain drop is in the 7 day forecast. Probably safer on a cruise ship.

My gf loves cruises... she loves that everything is planned, an itinerary is dropped on your bed every night for the next day activities, all the meals are planned, activities are planned... I really don't like cruises because everything is planned. Doesn't seem to matter, because we keep going back. Whenever we get back, and even during the whole planning process, I can't help but feel I'm wasting my vacation days.

Now that I think about it - I'd rather be on a sinking ship with a fighting chance of finding a piece of drift wood over falling from the sky.

3. apple

apple Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We did one in November and I can honestly say I won't be rushing out to do one anytime soon.... It was way too rough.. I like dry land... Ports were too busy and not enough time in each port. I found the whole thing kinda stressful bc there is just too much .. But I can see the draw for some :icon_smile:

4. J_Boost

J_Boost Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think like any vacation there are different ways to go about it.

I would never travel on a Carnival Cruise Line again. This is personal opinion, however I tried once and price & convenience won out over better planning.

My Royal Caribbean experiences, which are certainly not the top end of cruises, have all been very enjoyable and of a different crowd.

Time of year, port of departure, what you are looking for will all factor in. I think the issue with cruising is once you are on your "stuck". It similar to eating out at Hibachi, it really depends who you wind up with.

Personally I love cruising, waking up to a new destination everyday and seeing so many new places is a very exciting experience.

5. HammieJ

HammieJ I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    I have not been on one but it is in my plans for the near future. Possibly July-Septemberish.

My former boss used to go on this cruise every... I wanna say August or September. It was a swingers cruise. I'm not sure if it was also a nudist cruise. However they said there is this HUGE room with a ton of beds and jars of condoms next to the beds. From their pictures.... they had a lot of fun! lol.

I'm not sure if I'm a swinger but I'm definitely a nudist. I hate clothes. When I go on a cruise I will sadly be leaving my little one at home. I am a little sad that there isn't much time allotted for the port of calls.... but it is what it is! :)

At least we aren't home right? lol.

I'll do a little research and see if I can find the dates that my boss went on that cruise..... then I can figure out which one it was.

6. Liv & Ren

Liv & Ren Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    I love it when I'm not cruisin'

Took our second and final cruise in 2010. If the ship had stabilizers, they were broke! People were falling and throwing up. And when you reach the ports of call, it's like "Here's beautiful Grand Cayman. Hurry up and go see it for 15 minutes." I don't think I'd cruise again even if it was free. We prefer all-inclusive adults-only resorts.

7. diamondheaded

diamondheaded I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 1
    so true - should make me a theme song off of this :)

actually - I may listen but that is about it - as they rarely report accurately on anything - ever

rob

8. kmontoya

kmontoya I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +133 / 0
    ive never heard of and all-inclusive cruise before. If there are actually ones that include the alcohol i would be curious to hear about them. I liked the part about seeing new places, port time could be longer. but i saw some diff. ones where you were in port longer. And a def draw would be, fine a more adult one. I love kids, but im past the point of loving everyone elses!! the people who watch there kids, great. the ones who figure there kids are on vac. too so they let them do, and act how they want, wrong. but you cant change stupid!! so if anyone knows of a all all-inclusive cruise please drop a name. thanks

9. J_N_J

J_N_J Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +288 / 0

We have done several cruises. Celebrity cruise line offers different levels of drink packages and one of them is all inclusive. It cost us $750 extra each for an 11 night cruise but we got such a good deal on the cruise itself it worked out to a reasonable price in the end. Norwegian and Royal Caribbean now offer drink packages as well. Then there are a few 6 star cruise lines that offer all inclusive packages (cruise, booze, tips, everything) one price but the price is huge.

We will only do another cruise if it is a family trip or perhaps if we did the Mediteranian itinerary.

10. kmontoya

kmontoya I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +133 / 0
    thanks good to know. havent planned a cruise, last one was 2 years ago. im not interested unless its somewhere pretty cool, but i like to know that there are options out there. thanks again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice