Maybe the Big O is not the wimp you think

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by rdubnpk, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Canadian Dos Equis fan

Canadian Dos Equis fan Cancuncare's Most Interesting Man Registered Member

Ratings:
    +177 / 0
    I'd be pretty mad too if my government handed out 500 billion in loans! Just kidding noticed the typo and couldn't resist.

2. Ben & Lisa

Ben & Lisa Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    Not sure what your referring to?

3. Ben & Lisa

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    In another brilliant move Obama torpedoed Keystone XL today...
    What would one expect form a "community organizer" who palls around with the likes of Noam Chomsky, Saul Alinski, Bill Ayers and Jeremiah wright.

4. Canadian Dos Equis fan

Ratings:
    +177 / 0
    You refer to a $500 billion loan to Solyndra. The number is actually $500 million. Which as it turned out was still a bad loan, but this isn't the first time a government has tried to subsidize a new or fledgling industry. Just as a matter of scale the government of Canada's federal budget for 2011 was less than $300 billion.

5. Ben & Lisa

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    Ha, never noticed that.
    Not the first government loan by any means, but how the loan was obtained was really sleazy and was total payoff to obama donnors/backers.

6. Brewster

Brewster I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I think there is plenty of blame to pass around everywhere, don't you? Bush, Frank, Obama, Unions, Financial Institutions, naive or irresponsible borrowers, abusers of assistance programs, media, advertisers creating false demands, domestic companies using cheap foreign labor to increase profits, environmentalist lobby's creating a nightmare of red tape to get anything done. It goes on and on.

The really frustrating thing now, I think for everyone, is that nobody is thrilled with the candidates before us. I'm including Canada and most countries in this.

Maybe it's our own fault. People don't really want to hear the truth and face the hard decisions and sacrifices necessary to move toward fixing the mess. We are not the same people that made up the nations that faced the great depression and two world wars with honor and courage and scrimped and saved to improve their lot in life.

7. Canadian Dos Equis fan

Ratings:
    +177 / 0
    Yup have to agree with you Bruce, I remember in the early 90's living in Saskatchewan the NDP doing the hard things to get back on track (that's our most left leaning party for my American friends). They closed multiple small rural hospitals, schools and a lot of other services while putting the sales tax up 2% at the time.

While in its current form I don't support the NDP (in Saskatchewan, Alberta or on a federal level) I have to give Roy Romanow credit he did the things that needed to be done. Looking as an outsider at the American election process I can't say I see any of the candidates being willing or able to deliver the kinds of cuts and/or tax raises needed. But we do get to enjoy how Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart are exposing how ridiculous and open to corruption the campaign process is!

8. Ben & Lisa

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    Canadian politics overview by Yank who lived there 6 years:icon_biggrin:: NDP= somewhere to the left of Joseph Stalin, Liberals- just to the left of the Democrat party, PC- roughly equivalent to centrist Democrats.
    The difference is, do to the election structure and form of government CA has the politicians are alot more pragmatic and less partisan.
    Just what I observed in a nutshell.

9. Canadian Dos Equis fan

Ratings:
    +177 / 0
    a bit for sure. I have always thought having congressional elections every two years for you guys hurts you. From the moment most of those guys get into office they are starting to campaign for their next term. They can't spend any time actually getting anything done!

10. Ben & Lisa

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    The problem isnt the term length its the money that changes hands to pay for said elections and the strings that come with.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice