International Night Marathon

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Nov 30, 2011.

1. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mat: Have a cold that has its peak now, so no can do. Think someone told me that the 5K "libre"(?) is kind of like "whatever you want" and that people brought dogs etc.

Cant find any other time than 4pm though...

Thanks for the info Tori - hope to be able to do it next time. And good luck with your run! :)

2. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sorry to hear you're under the weather mate.

I'll hold off then and do the next one with you. I'll bring my dog as well if we can.

3. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    For the details you're looking for, see this page-

Maraton 2011

Race packages are to be picked up at the Hotel Plaza Caribe today, until 8 PM; and race day, from 9 AM to 12 Noon. You will have to have this to participate in any of the events.

Payment is said to be made at HSBC bank (see the website for details), but I suspect ToriB paid in cash, at the sports center she described, which is the headquarters for the city's Institute of Sports, and the sponsor of this event.

The race is said to start and end in front of the Malecon Cancun, on Av Bonampak.

All events will start and end at the same place, as I understand it, with the marathoners running all the way to KM19 in the HZ: the shorter events will run the same route, but turn around and head back to the start, much sooner.

Confirm the start/finish location when you pick up your race packs.

There will be a carb packing meal served to the runners, tonight, at 9 PM, at the Hotel Plaza Caribe.

4. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    When I ran in the 5K event, it was a free for all! There were handicapped doing it, people running while pushing their kids in carts, etc., a real fun run.

There were those, of course, going for time, and they were fast! In my over 60 YOA class, one dude finished in something like 17 minutes!

It's really cool, now, and the times for the marathon will be fast tomorrow, provided it's not too windy on the Caribbean side.

This is a great event for Cancun: get out and enjoy it, even if you're just planning to watch.

5. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Packets are to be picked up Fri 9am to 7pm at Hotel Plaza Caribe.

Dinner is at Margaritaville for a 50peso charge at 8 or 8:30.

We did pay in Cash. In and out in 5 min.

Never heard of a Free 5k, and my Dad has been running for over 40 yrs... and organizes a very large 5mile race every year. Who else will pay for all the "goodies" for the event?

6. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Maybe it's a generational thing, Tori: a "free for all" is not free, it's anything which is uncontrolled, disorganized, etc. My use of the expression was potentially a little bit misleading, in this context, because the event is far from disorganized: registration is required, participants' times are recorded, electronically, triggered by a chip or something similar in the equipment they issue each runner; the event is truly international, with the winners coming mainly from Africa (where else!).

As for the other details about race day, race packages, etc., the info I posted is straight off the official website, at Maraton 2011

Unless they make changes to the announced start/finish line, here's what they will look like!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, these are fun events, with a very happy, relaxed attitude among the participants, friends and family- not to mention, free massage, fresh fruit and water waiting at the end of the line!

I used to make an effort to keep people on this forum informed about races in the area, but it never seemed there was much interest in these events; perhaps now there is just a little more.

There is a 5K said to be coming up on Dec 31, at 8 AM, at Puerto Morelos, but I haven't been able to locate further details. Most events around here allow race day registration in the hour before the race starts (but not the races included in the big, Annual Night Marathon event, which allows registration only until 12 Noon, today, with the race starting at 4 PM).

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  7. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am interested in them now, so please post away!!!!

The race is tomorrow (Sat), not today.

8. kathy_caribe

kathy_caribe Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would be interested in this. The marathon is too soon after my last event but the PM one would work.

9. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Right you are, ToriB, I´m a day off, and I should have said "race day", not today; registration, in this case, is allowed race day, all right, but only between 9 AM and 12 Noon, with the race starting at 4 PM.

10. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I mentioned this to my wife, Tori and Kathy, and she said that sounded interesting to her, too. I´ll see if I can´t learn more about what that great port city might be up to, at year´s end!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice