Guns on college campuses

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by mikel, Feb 21, 2011.

1. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    "Detonating a nuclear device within the city limits results in a $500 fine."

Hahahahaha!!! :D

2. mikel

mikel Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Up until I believe middle to the late 90's the drinking age was 18, then they changed it 21.

When it comes to gun safety if taught young enough it would help out a lot. I know someone (sorry I can't tell you who), who was taught gun safety at an early age and I tell you this person can handle and know safety of firearms better than most older people.

Steve I hope you do not think that I am just going after your posts (I am not) I am just trying my best to answer what you have posted to me. I will admit I do not have the answer, I just go with my own experiances, for which I know will not be the answer to every situation.

3. dboyte

dboyte Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    They actually changed the drinking age in SC on June 1, 1984. I know cause I was born on the 19 of June.:banghead:

4. us2933

us2933 I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +124 / 0
    I (les) really can't believe there are adults on here that think it's good for CHILDREN to carry guns.
    I had a bust up with a few people on here over the american gun laws because they didn't agree with my views and after chatting in person to many americans I believe my views were WRONG and I now understand why american adults feel the need to carry guns and feel very strongly about it. I realised the British laws are way too weak when it comes to crime etc. That said there is no way on earth any sensible adult could possibly think it's right for children to carry guns at school. I do agree with your need to protect yourself and your family etc but come on, a child is a child and very often can't make rational decisions so why the hell do you want them to have a gun to make a life changing decision which could affect many others??????

5. lnjnnc

lnjnnc Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I'd care about this.....IF I worked for the Univ..

Protecting numero uno is paramount. I didn't read all the threads. But, that's the 1st thing that came to my mind.

"Children"? We're talking universities, with the min. age of 18. I have a 19y.o.. I agree with you that he shouldn't be allowed to posess a weapon while at the university. But, "children" is a stretch. Besides, I'm pretty sure you have to be 21 (you do in my state) to posess a handgun.

Our son owns several firearms (6-8?)...and he knows the importance of firearms safety. He can hunt with one at will (with my blessing and sans needing my permission). And, I trust him. But again....I don't want him having one while at school (on school grounds).

Hear! Hear!

6. us2933

us2933 I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +124 / 0
    I agree, I think my use of the word of children is wrong. It's great that those of you who's young adults know how to use a gun and respects the usage but surely the amount on iddiot young adult out number the good ones like yours and others on here.

I'd like to think that if I lived over there I'd be like yourselves and make sure my child knows how to use a gun properly and responsibly but I still feel there's way too many stupid young adults out there and it only takes one to spoil it for everyone.

My daughter is in her last year of University and to be honest I wouldn't like her or any of her friends to carry a gun.

I think my view also come from our stupid laws over here. We aren't allowed to protect ourselves at any age let alone in University. After listening to many people at TTR I'm realising more and more how stupid our laws are over here. That said, we don't have the tradgic mass shootings like you guys have but I'm still unsure which is the best of the two evils.

7. lnjnnc

lnjnnc Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Les....

In my first sentence, I eluded to my main concern with this topic. It's not the students I want to see be able to arm themselves (unless they're of legal age to do so...and have the proper training and permits). I want the professors and others who work there (basically, again....anyone of age with the proper training and permits) to be allowed to protect themselves (and others!).

Let's put it this way......

If you're of a mind to do something stupid...and you KNOW I'm a gun owner (and carrying).....do you think you're gonna start in my classroom? Or, might you go somewhere that you know the next person ISN'T (carrying)?

Now...you can extrapolate that and understand why we in the US feel the way we do about gun laws.

8. dboyte

dboyte Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0

Well said.
    Just to add to the discussion. I work across the street from the FBI headquarters in SC. When we moved in one of the security guards at the gate told our admin. assistant - we can't help if you scream out but run this way and we will shoot them if they cross the property line. WTF is up with that. That is just how twisted the laws are in this country today.

9. ibesarcasm

ibesarcasm Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I didnt get to see the video as it has been removed, but why would anyone think there were no guns in the video?? Is it because they are not allowed? That is just plain stupid! There very well COULD have been guns in there, you'll never know. So would I have thought wider gun carry would of affected the situation, nope, not in the least, simpley because there was probably no need for a gun to be introduced to the situation....but then, I cant see the video, there may have been. A weapon in the hand of responsable citizen would only be used to prevent death or serious bodily harm to others. Period! I can post hudreds or even thousands of aticles were a gun owner stopped or prevented a murder, rape, or serious assult. In return, you please feel free to post ALL articles you can find in which a CONCEALED CARRY PERMITED gun owned went on a killing spree, or just randomly shot someone because they pissed them off, or raped someone at gun point!

Lets get some facts straight! Concealed carry is an issued permit. It is not just issued to anyone, you dont got to wal-mart and buy one off the shelf. I had fingerprints, a background check, a 30 day wait, and had to give a sepecific reason on why I wished to carry concealed. I must abide by certain rules when I carry, such as no alchohol. Also keep in mind I live in a "shall issue" state in which ANYONE is free to apply for a concealed carry permit & it will be granted unless you dont meet the background criteria. And we have very few persons who have ever lost thier permit for a violation. Why is that? Because people who get CC permits are RESPONSIBLE GUN OWNERS who exercise thier right to protect themselves! If your choice to to have the 911 crew come mop up the blood of your loved ones while you waited for the police, I'm fine with that. I, however, am NOT ok with some liberal, pot smokin, hippy who preaches love and peace, telling my I dont have, and should not have any and all available means to protect myself from some S**tbag who isn't gonna follow the laws in the first place!

Why do I carry a gun? Because a COP is to heavy!

10. ibesarcasm

ibesarcasm Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My father in law...... also a responsable gun owner who protected his family..... and my future wife.........

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice