Where do all of the locals eat?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by pocodinero, Feb 1, 2010.

1. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Las definiciones de "DIVE" varían de acuerdo a la experiencia. Colorado es, obviamente, una experiencia muy diferente que el de México, o el Bronx. Yo he comido en lugares mucho peores. Apuesto a TJ, también.:icon_wink::icon_biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2010
  2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just for the record, Colorado has no DIVES at all, I've looked, trust me on this (wink, wink). Though Boulder DOES have a lot of DIVE SHOPS, for some weird reason that I do not understand.

Gandara is a nice restaurant.

3. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    See! RG isn't all that negative! She agrees with me (this time) which is extremely important! LOL

And to stick up for her yet again, I am also a very fussy person when it comes to eating places. They must have atmosphere, good food and great service. Price is the least of my worries when it comes to eating out--not unimportant just #4 in the list. I have eaten great cheap tacos and rotten filet mignon or great filet with rotten service which means I will never go back. I am neither a cheap eater nor a price snob that will only order expensive dishes.

I remember those delicious french fries on a baguette in Paris 30 years ago and the hot dog from a cart at the Expo here that made me sick 22 years ago. I have a long memory when it comes to food and food "stores."

Probably in order of importance to me are:
    1.- Service
    2.- quality of food
    3.- Atmosphere
    4.- pricing/portion size.

If they don't have what I want, I never go back but have gotten out of the habit of leaving a penny for bad service or bitching at people who really don't care. There are lots of places all over the world that I will never go back to--and most of them are probably happy about that. Not that they care probably but then I don't care if they care. I am not out to teach them a lesson or to hurt their business. Of course if someone asks.............

4. pocodinero

pocodinero Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We went to 100% Natural last night. What a great restaurant!! The food is very fresh, light, and "colorful." They do not use a lot of oil or grease so we left very satified but not overly stuffed. We had a chicken soup, a greek style salad, a stir fry entree, a chicken entree, a childs Fish dinner and 2 large Limonadas and 2 small ones. The bill was around $440. The menu has a large enough variety to choose from ranging from sandwiches, pastas, rice dishes, chicken and fish entrees and a lot of fruit juice combinations. The breakfast menu look very appetizing too. Anyway, if you a re looking for a fresh and health dining choice, I would reccommend this restaurant.

5. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    100% Natural - DISCOUNT CARDS

If you go there a lot, you can get a discount card. Mine is for 15% but in Merida they would only honor it for 10% and even tried to take it away from me and reissue me another one. I raised holy you know what and they gave me the card back. I never went back to the one in Merida, nor will I.

But they honor it here with no problem. Suggest that if you mention to your waiter that you are a local (not sure why this helps as most of their customers are) and that you eat here/there all the time and could you please have a card for the discount. My card really doesn't have anything on the front that I can read other than the restaurant name and the back does say that it is the property of 100% Natural Restaurants. Mine is about worn out. It is always good for the entire table unless you have separate bills. There were only two of is in Merida and it was good for both of us on the same bill. Who knows why they would not honor the card as intended. We were eating breakfast there 3 or 4 days a week and were there for two months earlier this year. I noticed the bill after a couple of weeks so this cost them a bit of business. That was not the kinder and gentler T.J. that particular morning.

6. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Las Cantinarias

(I think I've got that name right!) It's on Av Coba.

As you head west, it's on the right after you pass Av Yaxchilan. Well signed, it would be easy for most to find.

We ate there, recently, on a local's recommendation, and found everything he said about it to be true. He said he liked it because of the way the wait staff conducted themselves towards the customers. We liked that, too; plus, the food was good (we had a roasted cheese appetizer, and split a large serving of beef fajitas). Beer was 40 pesos, for two.

7. handyman

handyman Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I went to the Rio Churrascaria across from Temptations Resort last year and although it was expensive it was good. I went back this year and the meats were all very salty and I had the notorious belly ache for the rest of my vacation. Someone said you shouldn't eat the salad because they wash it with dirty water. Anyway someone recomended "Eskapar" for diarrhea and it worked almost instantly.

8. pocodinero

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We went Lucas Pizza and Pasta. Food was very good.
    We also went to the Burrito place that everyone is posting about. Food was also very good, fresh and filling. The spicy salsas are great too.

Does anyone know a good place to go for French Onion Soup (made with the cheese dripping over the top of the "Crock?"

9. StorageLady

StorageLady Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, it's been almost a full year since our last trip to Cancun - and we are packing our bags to prepare for our Spring Break trip!

Loved the advice on restaurants from last year, and was just wondering if anything new/exciting/authentic has cropped up since then.

BTW - last year we ate at Tacos Rigos, Taqueria del Poblano, Hacienda Sisal, La Desteleria & Buena Torta and had some very tasty margs at Los Guanatos

Of those, we will probably return to TAcos Rigos & Los Guanatos. So - open to suggestion on new places!

10. pocodinero

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Log In | Facebookanyone Has anyone else been to this "stand?" It is a Columbian stlye hot dog and burger cart in front of Walmart (on Xcaret), in between the Pugeot dealer and Plaza Hollywood. Here is a link to a video on their facebook page. Huge burgers and quite messy, plus some unusual topping (same for the hot dogs). Very Cheap eats.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice