Homesick?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Susylo, May 26, 2011.

1. Susylo

Susylo Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have pretty much dedicated the past 17 years of my life to Mexico because when I was born my heart was Mexican. I always say I work for the people, I try to teach the importance of education so they can one day have a voice. I constantly try to encourage tourist to experience the Magic of Mexico so the families here can have an opportunity, but unfortunately I do get homesick.

Do you get homesick? If so what do you do to bring the comfort of home back to life? I find myself at Chili's because it's a common restaurant in TX, but it's getting old for me........... need something new. :icon_confused:

Susy

"Give Happiness and Love" Smile!!

2. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't get that homesick anymore because after 6 years I feel so much more comfortable here. The US now seems more like a sterile, faraway land filled with lots of credit cards, lots of stress and lots of white people hahahaha

That being said, there are a few comforts here that harken back warm fuzzy memories:

-Outback Steakhouse
    -American TV (I lived without it for 4 years here... never again) Bonus points if there are no Spanish subtitles. God bless you, Sky satellite service.
    -Root beer
    -Dr. Pepper
    -Reading personal blogs written by people living in the US (although this usually just makes me glad I live here instead of there haha)
    -Avocado egg rolls at California Pizza Kitchen
    -A bleu cheese burger I had on Isla Mujeres the other week. I will be back!

3. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Susy: The few times I do happen to get homesick(Sweden), I just log on to Skype and chat with friends and family for a few hours. Hearing about whats happening back home with the "new" government, the crappy winters in Stockholm(slush, not snow...) and such, makes me feel good: I can take the bus/car and be at the beach in literally 5 mins, staring at the horizon, leaning against a palm-tree, observing some wildlife etc. Then I think: "Meh, it aint so bad" ;)

Some things that I´ll always miss, is the infrastructure, system, health-care etc. :)

4. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,212 / 14
    I've been here 7 years and still get quite homesick. We will move back one day but I just know I'll be regretting it a few months later.

I think North Americans have it easy ;) us Brits (and Europeans) are much further away from home and it costs a fortune to visit. Very, very few home comfort foodstuffs we can get here compared to American goods, and we even have to sometimes get up at 6am in the morning to listen to audio commentary of (we're rarely able to watch) our favourite sports teams! Very little familiar TV for us too.

5. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,212 / 14
  6. Susylo

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I should’ve been a little more specific with my choice of words because Mexico is where I feel at home, I always dread it when I have to go back to the states. Even though I have a difficult time with my Spanish, I relate better with the people of Mexico and I don't understand the mentality of most people in the USA.

However I do miss some of my family , the spirit of holidays that we lack in this tourist destination, foods and a casual conversation in English!!

Susy

7. Gringation

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The only place I've found it is at Johnny Rockett's, but it's super expensive. Maybe 30 pesos a can or something? Still, the luxury is worth it every once in awhile.

I've heard rumors and whispers that Costco sells it, but I'm not a member so I can't confirm.

8. Susylo

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just stocked up on AW root beer on Sunday, Chedraui has it for 7 or 8 pesos a can.

I also saw it at Walmart labeled as "Imported", 12 pk for 110 pesos. :icon_smile:

9. Gringation

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Which Chedraui and which Walmart? (So excited haha)

10. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Susy,
    I speak pretty good English, in a pretty casual way.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice