Galenia Hospital - Gynecologist

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by mz_teedee, Feb 23, 2010.

1. mz_teedee

mz_teedee Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello Tracey,

Thanks for the info. I will definitely keep it in mind.

2. a.pierce

a.pierce Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I had my second son at the Galenia and was very happy with the hospital. My ob/gyn was Luis Castillo and I was very happy with him.

I contacted him from the list of ob/gyn docs that are Fellows of the American Academy of Gyno and Obstetrics. (Basically, the doctors on this list meet all criteria to practice in the U.S.)

Here is the link to the list: https://www.acog.org/member-lookup/mexicoCityQuery.cfm?cityId=Cancun&stateId=Q.R.

Hope this helps!

3. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    My wife went for a routine checkup and chose Dr Loya, at Galenia Hospital, after two other gynecologists there said they wouldn't see her if she didn't speak Spanish well! (Dr Loya is chief of the medical staff, and one of the founders of the hospital).

She had very good things to say about him, after her exam, and said she'd rate him in the top 20% of gynecologists she'd seen in her lifetime- all the others having been in the U.S.!

The pelvic exam, with ultrasound and pap smear cost just 900 pesos.

(Galenia, and the physicians who practice there do not, in my experience, give discounts to residents of Mexico, charging a set fee to all.)

4. jen***

jen*** Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have also been to Dra Angelica Falcon Isunza at Galenia (at Janet's recommendation). Whilst it wasn't for prenatal care she seems very good and is very nice. I had asked her about VBAC and she was very supportive in that which is a good sign.

5. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Dra Angelica Falcon Isunza was one of two female doctors at Galenia who had the receptionist asking those who called whether they spoke Spanish, and declining to see patients who did not: that's how we ended up with Dr Loya, who not only speaks English but has an English speaking receptionist.

What may have precipitated the unwillingness to see patients who could not communicate well in Spanish is unknown to me: there may have been an incident as a result of a miscommunication, making the doctors a little wary.

To assume that all Mexican doctors speak English would be a big mistake. The dermatologist I dealt with at Hospiten did not, and manifested no interest in learning it, while my wife's dermatologist at Galenia speaks only broken English.

I know I've struggled dealing with doctors at IMSS, very few of whom speak English: it's really hard to get across nuances of meaning and requires that the native Spanish speaker exercise a lot of patience, which some doctors may simply find too taxing to bother with, especially if they have a large following among the Spanish speakers in town!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  6. KTDLP

KTDLP Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

I wouldn't count on it. Galenia has a 90% c-section rate. I interviewed every obgyn at Galenia and some elsewhere (a total of 8) and they all assured me they were pro VB and anti c-section. It is as if the high c-section rate is a mystery to everyone. My doctor, who has one of the lower, but not low by any means, c-section rates will automatically schedule a c-section for you if you have had a previous one.

If you are willing to go to a doctor that understands but does not speak English, I would recommend talking to TraceyUK about her doctor friend at Clinica Victoria. In my opinion, it is your only chance at having a VBAC in Cancun.

7. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,254 / 14
    We found Dra Angelica to be very supportive of whatever the mother decides.

In our case Jannet wanted a C section (it's her choice right?) The Dra said it was totally up to her, a C section wasnt necessary but if she wanted one then she would perform it.

As for the speaking English, plain and simple her English is not very good. I think its pretty fundamental in any patient doctor relationship that each can understand the other, so am surprised at your surprise V.

8. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Yes Steve it sure is a womans choice how she delivers her baby- the problem in Cancun is there is very little choice !! an 80% c section rate is NOT acceptable anywhere in the world. In the US as C sections rise so do maternal and infant death rates.Women are not told the truth about the consequences of intervention during their labours and the effects it can have on their babies.
    I could babble on forever but get too passionate and upset about it.
    Anyone who is pregnant here needs to choose their caregivers wisely and the opening question should be "How many truly natural respectful births have you witnessed ? "
    Tracey

9. KTDLP

KTDLP Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  10. jen***

jen*** Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I.'m not sure why it's surprising that a doctor would be reluctant to see a patient who doesn't speak the same language. I would have thought it was essential :) I think it's good she bothered to check before wasting everyone's time.
    If my doctor tried to automatically schedule a c-section then I would change doctors - as it was, the point I made was that she didn't automatically go down that road so I am hopeful.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice