Guns on college campuses

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by mikel, Feb 21, 2011.

1. mikel

mikel Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    With the current economic situation. Cities, states and the federal governments in such debt, we cannot really afford to spend more money for programs that might or might not work. Getting to the root of the problem is that now these days you cannot even spank a kid in public for fear of CPS being called.

As for liking guns being a north/south/ruban/rural. I am from the south and I was raised in the city but I know a lot of people that is from the city/south and are against the ownership of firearms.

For the argument that students are not mature enough. Most of the people that join the military are 17-19 year olds who are trained to fire some very powerful weapons. I for one was trained on the M-16A1, M-60, M-203 (grenade launder), L.A.W., and a couple of other weapons and I was 18 years old and I think I am ok

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    Not considered mature enough to enjoy an alcoholic beverage on your days off though.

Kinda shocking really.

3. Brewster

Brewster I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I'm sure there are. I was thinking in general, you probably find more support for firearms in the south than in the north and in rural communities than in cities? Would you say that is wrong?

4. Franco27

Franco27 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Steve, good point, seems backwards that you can't drink until you're 21, but you can own a firearm; you'd think it should be the other way round.

Back to the military peice; Those who have experience in the Armed Services have a very different view on weaponary, how to handle it, how to respect it and how to use it effectively .. I have had experience in the British Army and these and the laws governing them were drilled in to us from day 1; you won't get that with a civillian handling a gun.

5. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    dboyte: We had a couple of kids that went "off track" so to speak. Nothing major though, and I assume a punch is less bad than if the kid had shot the other kid... It was very interesting stuff to work with, and the media AND public was very much against it, as we were "teaching the kids how to hit harder, more accurate" etc. What we actually did, was to give them self-esteem, teach them discipline and how to handle their temper. The kids would pass a certain period of training, and that, accompanied by good behavior etc., would give them access to government run schools and support 24/7. "Do your part, and we will do ours", kind of :)

Regarding the metal-detectors: Im sure there must be ways to control the entrances to schools. A lot of companies, authorities etc. do so on a daily basis, with great results. (Not my area of expertise, so I wont go deeper.)

If someone is able to grab guns, walk to a school, enter and start shooting, then its quite clear the problem started way before the actual action itself, right?

To have a 100% foolproof security/social network is a dream, but it must be a goal(even if unreachable).

The guns are available to kids already when they are outside school. The problem thus started way earlier.

Im all for self protection, but I would not feel comfortable to live in a place where "everyone" was packing heat. I certainly would NOT have wanted to go to school, knowing every student had a gun on them... Accidental shootings when showing off to friends, brawls, theft etc.

Kids that age(in general) can barely hand other things in life, and to me, it would be just strange to arm them.

What Im trying to say is that there must be easier ways than supplying guns to students.

Question: Would the kids carry the guns to and from school daily, or would they be locked up at the facility?

6. Franco27

Franco27 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A lot of inner city london schools now have metal detectors and police outside searching for knives; which has become the weapon of choice for youngsters here ... they even have mobile detectors which they set up in shopping centres and drag kids through or suspected undesireables .. seems to work

completely agree with everything else you say there Rawkus, it's a social issue that needs to be addressed, but you have to be realistic, guns in the US are part of the culture

I'm all for self defence too, but if everyone starts arming themselves, then the balance of power would be tipped away from those who are put in place to protect and serve society, in which case they become redundant and society becomes judge judy and executioner (in the extreme).

I'm still having hard time understanding why kids would need guns in school in the 1st place?

7. dboyte

dboyte Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    I don't think anyone is talking about supplying guns to kids. That is not a good idea at all. I simply think it is time we get rid of the laws that do not work and spend our time and money the right way.

As for the metal detectors In the USA we would have to screen everybody or nobody. Profiling is against the law and will result in major civil rights lawsuits.

Rawkus: Luckily we never had a kid go off track while I was there. However, in the area I live, kids getting into a fight on saturday night gives school right to take action(possible expulsion). The kids future is ruined so way not use a gun is the way some of them think.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  8. Franco27

Franco27 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    a few stupid laws from this side of the pond:

A law prohibiting anyone from dying while inside the Houses of Parliament has been voted as the most ridiculous law by the British citizens.

The Licensing Act of 1872 explains that operating a horse, cow or steam engine while intoxicated carries a prison sentence or a Ј200 fine.

It is illegal to impersonate old age pensioners in the London area of Chelsea.

It is an executable offense to allow your pet to mate with a pet of the royal house without permission.

and my personal favourite .....

Suicide is a capital crime.

9. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Haha, this is fun!

Some stupid laws from Sweden:

*While prostitution is legal, it is illegal to use the services of a prostitute.

*You may only own half a meter down in the ground of any land you own.

*It is illegal to repaint a house without a painting license and the government’s permission.

*During the long hours of winter darkness it is illegal to complain that you wish it were sunny.

*It is a father's duty to teach his son how to masturbate. (Haven't been able to confirm this one...)

*Attempting to escape from prison is not illegal, however, if a person is caught he/she is required to serve out the remainder of his term.(Not 100% confirmed)

10. dboyte

dboyte Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    Got one for ya from a town in our favorite state of California (NOT):

Detonating a nuclear device within the city limits results in a $500 fine.
    - that will stop them wacko terrorist for sure..LOL

We also have one that says it is a crime to harm someone while commiting suicide.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice