Mexican Immigration Changes Coming

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by RiverGirl, Apr 22, 2010.

1. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    They've had crummy stamps before and the system couldn't tolerate it for long, so they got changed to really good ones. They simply can't be ordering new ones all the time, they have too much paperwork and security procedure involved in issuing one to an agent. They need to issue new ones every 6 months or less, otherwise it's too cumbersome. These stamps will all be worn out in a week. So they will fix this and will order decent stamps at some point, though probably not soon.

I agree, the high tech ink thing is dumb. There are too many other big problems with the system, counterfeit stamps isn't one of their big problems from what I can tell.

Don't assume that "everything is tracked by computers," there you go using logic and common sense again...silly. The software they use should track everything, and the db should be search-able in all kinds of ways, but is it? I don't know much about it, but I know that it could be better, it could be a lot better.

I think that when they are tracking a problem they rely more on being able to read that silly stamp than either you or I would think they should. That's just my sense, I don't know much about that internal investigation stuff. I do know that the software has major usability issues, but I think it's also more limited than it should be.

A few times when they've updated the system they've sent the software design team to come and observe the software being used. But from what I've been told the team is never actually interested in user comments. And they don't actually film users using the program, and they don't take proper notes. It seems they come instead on a kind of ego boosting pride tour, they bask in having their software in use all around them...or something.

I have a particular interest in this because I find usability to be fascinating. And I hear much too much about the usability problems in INM's systems, but so far there's never been any talk of, or evidence of, INM giving a flying you know what about usability. Am I rambling again?

2. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Makes perfect sense to me :xyxthumbs:

Viva Mexico! :cheerleaders:

3. heatandsun

heatandsun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Still waiting to hear from Mauricio on this. And no, I didn't note their names.

Glad someone else had the same experience. We'll get it sorted out eventually.

Sue

4. heatandsun

heatandsun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just heard from Mauricio and the information given at the airport was incorrect. I don't do anything with my FM3 until it expires in Dec. Now let's hope they have it sorted out when I travel again next month.

Sue

5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for letting us all know what Mauricio said, that's a big help.

I think, frankly, that it will take a few run-ins with ex-pats before all the INM wankers at the airport figure out what the memo said. Someone should have made sure they could actually read before hiring them.

6. CancunMole

CancunMole Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Bump to answer recent questions.

Too bad the folks with the real info and direct contacts are no longer here posting. :icon_cry:

Recap:

New FMM allows for 180 days per entry. Exit/Re-entry requirements did not change.

Posted 02-24-2010, 09:56 PM
    FM-T Visa Extension - How Long Do We Need To Leave Mexico For? : Cancun

FM2/3 booklets will change to the new card format when the normal renewal date occurs.

As far as I can see, there is no requirement to go to an FM2 after the 5-year life of an FM3 unless one wants to in pursuit of citizenship etc.

As of the 5/1/10 change, one CANNOT get an FM3 at a Consulate outside of the Country as before. One must enter Mexico on an FMM and then apply for the FM3 once in Mexico. ETA: I have read two different interpretations on this issue:

From Rivergirl in the Mexican Immigration Changes Coming thread:

From the February 25, 2010 entry at this blog Site, http://www.fallinginlovewithsanmiguel.com/gpage.html

So it would seem that anyone considering applying for an FM3 should make sure of the correct procedure and requirements beforehand.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  7. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Hi Mole

So far as I can see in what you posted there's nothing new there: this is where those who've been following these issues are (admittedly some follow them more closely than others)

I too have seen nothing in the new rules to suggest a change in the ability of those who wish to exit and reenter on FMMs and get another 180 days in country though some have suggested on other forums that that was the case without offering a source: have you got a source or are you relying on the silence in the new rules on this issue to draw your conclusions about it?

There is an issue implicit in the question playagrandma asked about how many days she could expect to get if she reentered on an FMM (now I'm not sure who she was referring to in that question because she has more recently revealed she has an FM3): I mentioned this possible issue on another thread:
    She seems to have been referring to a possible limitation along the same lines with her question

http://www.cancuncare.com/forum/liv...ya/16647-re-entry-fmm-after-180-days-fmt.html

The new rules seem to be silent as to any such limitation making me think someone dreamed it up but that's not enough for me to form a strong opinion on the question: more recently we have ToriB's experience in which she was admitted for 180 days on an FMM after having been here for 180 days on an FMT but for the reasons I suggested on another thread this doesn't directly answer the question of what would be the treatment of a person who spent 180 days on an FMM then attempted to immediately reenter for 180 days on a second FMM

(This particular question was "put on hold" on the thread you are now reading because no one had sufficient information at the time to reach a firm conclusion: read back and you'll find where the issue was raised by me on this very thread)

As for what playagrandma said in her post about being compelled to apply for an FM2 after four renewals of an FM3 - which I questioned- I see nothing in the new rules to suggest any change along those lines either and that's why I asked her to provide a source: we'll see what her counselor comes up with

For those who'd like to look at the rules we are referring to see- http://dof.gob.mx/nota_detalle.php?codigo=5129775&fecha=29/01/2010

8. CancunMole

CancunMole Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There is nothing in the May 1, 2010 information that suggests any new changes to exit/re-entry requirements associated with the new form, the FMM. It would seem as though poster ToriB's recent trip to Belize to get a new FMM and another 180 days confirms this too.

As far as I can tell, all the new FMM did was standardize the permit forms from 3 to 1 only. FMM = Multiple Immigration Form

As far as the FM2/3's, again the only thing that changed, or will change, is the format: from booklet to card form and nothing else. My neighbor has been living full-time in Cancun for well over 17 years with just an FM3. It is my understanding that the 5 year thing only has to do with how the document is set up: Initial - 1St year and then 4 'Prorrogas' for the next 4, then you need a new book which can be at the prerogative of the local IMN office. (See Rivergirl's comments in the FM 'sticky' above.)

Also, for FM2/3 holders, when departing the Country, the red/pink carbon forms have been replaced with the new FMM form. At the airport one still must go to INM where you are given the FMM and have to fill out the right (green colored; see p.3 above for both sides) hand side, DEPARTURE REGISTRATION. The left hand side, blue in color, ENTRY REGISTRATION, must be kept and presented upon return.

IMO, too many people are posting their own interpretations rather than relying on someone who has access to right stuff and confusing the issue. It will be interesting to see what playagrandma's advisor has to say.

9. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    As for what you've said it seems we're on the same page and have been

For most of us here the changes that came about May 1 were more cosmetic than substantive

Among the substantive changes that quickly come to mind the biggest may be the practice of giving everybody 180 days in country initially: this made things easier in particular for businessmen who as I recall were getting just 30 days before

10. playagrandma

playagrandma Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just returned from immigration. I asked Pepe my counselor, if he could please send the exact ruling on now the need to go from an fm3 to an fm2. He said he would need to find it online and he would send it me-it will be in spanish. He couldnt promise when as he is very busy. had But he did tell me again that anyone holding an fm3 after 5 years will be required to get an fm2. As he told me, he has been doing this for many years-nothing else. He goes to immigration everyday and since I am his friend and his client-why would he give me false informaton. So I hope he can send me that info-so it can be clarifed. Has anyone had the chance to talk to Maurico? It would be nice if we could get this straightened out soon.

V the biggest reason for concern as I stated in another post. I travel back and forth so much-I could not go to a fm2. And thats is why I was questioning the fmm and how that would work. According to Pepe(and since he doesnt really deal in fmm's-asked an agent)everyone should be getting 180 days everytime they enter. I guess my concern is-will every agent every time -give the 180 days. But I just received my new fm3 and will wait until everything settles before I make a decision.

I believe some stated way back when they entered after May 1, they were required to go to immigration within 30 days to get the new card. This is not correct. My husband renewed his in Jan and I was told today-he will renew like always.

I had one more than one person tell me they have had an fm3 for 15 years and never had to go to an fm2. Thats because it never was enforced. As of May 1, its being enforced according to Pepe. The only thing I can tell the people-then dont worry about it-you will find out when you go to renew.

If I should find any info on this fm3-2 thing, I will let you know

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice