Why Do People Like Obama?

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by twinimini, Jun 9, 2010.

1. twinimini

twinimini I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    We were at a party over the weekend and the hostess is a die hard Obama supporter. I asked her nicely why? Her response was that he is intellegent and he's not Bush. Damn, I could be President too with those qualifications.

Realistically, why does anyone support this guy? There must be someone here in the US who supports him who is on this forum who could answer the question "Why do you support him?"

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Simple answer is that he's the President of the U.S. at what is one of the worst periods in its history: it may take a generation to know whether the U.S. can recover from the combination of bad luck, and bad judgments, of the last decade.

Twini, you could be president: thinking people appreciate intelligence, and an ability to express oneself in their leaders.

Whether one supports the President's policies is a different matter, and there is room for disagreement, and differences of opinion on how best to dig ourselves out of the hole we're in domestically, and internationally. But, a leader who acknowledges that we're in one is useful at a time like this.

The President of the U.S., no matter who he is now, or will be for the foreseeable future, has been dealt a bad hand. It will take him, and everyone who can think clearly, and act responsibly, to see the nation through.

Everyone, including the present President, is going through a period of adjustment to a new reality of limited American wealth, and power: not pushing through health care reform at this time would have demonstrated an awareness of this reality, as would limiting our involvement in Afghanistan to stopping Al Queda, and nothing more, just as we now do in Pakistan.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  3. Brewster

Brewster I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I like him 'cause he smokes. Now that's a Maverick!

4. Zackman

Zackman I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Today Obama is more popular in Europe and Canada than here in his own country. Europeans and Canadians love him not because he is a great leader, but rather that he isn't George W Bush. Now, in the Middle East he is disliked just as much (perhaps more) than Bush despite Obama's appeasements, apologies, and pledges to unclench fists.

According to Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll Overall, only 46% of American voters say they at least somewhat approve of the president's performance. Fifty-three percent (53%) disapprove: http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/obama_administration/daily_presidential_tracking_poll

Middle East appeasement policy has failed:
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/jun/2/obamas-islamic-poll-dance/
    "Despite his best efforts, Mr. Obama has failed to woo the Muslim world. After an initial burst of enthusiasm in 2009, America's favorability ratings sagged. A Gallup poll on opinions of the leadership of the United States released last week shows declines in each of six Muslim-majority countries surveyed. Approval in Lebanon is 25 percent, a 5-percent drop back to 2008 levels. Approval in Egypt fell by about half since last fall, from 37 percent to 19 percent. Approval in the Palestinian Territories is 16 percent, a drop of 4 percent and just three points better than it was under the Bush administration. In Iraq, approval is at 25 percent, compared to the 35 percent rating in 2008. Polls in Israel show confidence in Mr. Obama's policies in single digits, and American Jews are deserting him at a rate seldom seen for a Democratic president"
    On the other hand, Americans who voted for Obama are increasingly coming to the conclusion that they have been duped and miss-led by Obama and his deceptive promises of hope and change. As only one piece of evidence, note the Gulf Oil Spill and Obama's lack of experience to "set goals, demand accountability, and, perhaps most importantly, bend the sprawling federal bureaucracy to his will."
    "In mid-February 2008, fresh from winning a bunch of Super Tuesday primaries, Barack Obama granted an interview to "60 Minutes" correspondent Steve Croft. "When you sit down and you look at [your] resume," Croft said to Obama, "there's no executive experience, and in fact, correct if I'm wrong, the only thing that you've actually run was the Harvard Law Review."

"Well, I've run my Senate office, and I've run this campaign," Obama said.

Seven months later, after receiving the Democratic presidential nomination, Obama talked with CNN's Anderson Cooper. At the time, the news was dominated by Hurricane Gustav, which was headed toward New Orleans and threatening to become a Katrina-like disaster. "Some of your Republican critics have said you don't have the experience to handle a situation like this," Cooper said to Obama. "They in fact have said that Governor Palin has more executive experience. ..."
    Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/politics/Spill-reveals-Obama_s-lack-of-executive-experience-95819074.html#ixzz0qNETVnJH

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  5. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Popular abroad?

Zackman, why all the concern about whether the President is popular in the middle east? Popularity anywhere has to be examined as to its cause: it was popular to massively cut taxes while waging two foreign wars, something that had never been tried before, but the result is going to be felt for a long time. I'm not sure what the President's done to gain popularity in the middle east, but I doubt he reads those polls with much interest.

I mentioned two of his policy initiatives which I think are questionable. The second one, expansion of U.S. involvement in Afghanistan, is not likely to end well for the U.S. Instead of expanding that war, he could have chosen to maintain our bases there and just hit known and suspected Al Queda and other leadership targets, continuously disrupting the chain of command and control; and, when detected, striking bases for training of Al Queda operatives.

The broader goals, of creating a strong, democratically elected central government, defending womens' rights, and keeping the Taliban out of the political picture in Afghanistan, are probably not attainable at any price we will be willing to pay.

6. Zackman

Zackman I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V: Perhaps you have been out of the USA and haven't heard all of the left's 2008 campaign rhetoric, so I'll explain. The concern about whether the President is popular in the Middle East is key and a crucial center point to the Democrat's philosophy on Foreign Policy. The left despised the fact that Bush was conducting his Foreign Policy from a position of strength. The left felt that instead of a stern "either with us or against us" stance against terrorists that America required a softer position that would appease the Arab world. The left thought that our foes in the Middle East would be more receptive if we "unclenched" our fists per Obama's conciliatory speech in Egypt. Obama wanted to win over Jihadists and woo the Muslim world with his apologetic speeches and Foreign Policy which also took a harder line on new Israeli settlements and reprisals against terrorists. Yet this Foreign Policy strategy of appeasement and apologies has not worked. Jihadists and Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in particular, do not respect Obama any more than Bush. In-fact, the Arab world now views the United States from a position of weakness and ridicule by evidence of Obama's failure & therefore sinking approval numbers in the Middle East.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  7. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    You may be confusing style with substance.

Obama has pushed tougher sanctions against Iran, and gotten the cooperation of Russia and China to vote for them, just last week, something the tough talking Bush never managed to do.

Then, he's ramped up the military effort in Afghanistan in an effort to defeat and drive the Taliban out of those territories they now control.

He's continued, and expanded, Bush's policy of striking in Pakistan against Taliban and Al Queda leadership targets.

Finally, he's made it clear to Israel that they no longer have a "get out of jail free" pass from the U.S. on their policies and actions, but must start thinking about coming to the table to engage seriously, with international partners (like the U.S.)- in finding a long term solution to the issues that arose out of their seizure in 1967, and refusal to surrender, the former Palestinian territories- something no U.S. President has ever required of them.

His rhetorical style leads people to think he's not taking tough decisions, but that's not the case.

8. twinimini

twinimini I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 0

I have to disagree with you on this one V. Obama's Iranian sanctions have been largely ineffective and Iran just completed a deal to sell natural gas to Pakistan. The only way he has recieved any cooperation from Russia or China is by his massive concessions. For example, he has backed off from the Eastern European missle shield to appease Russia and backed off from any sort of retaliation from China's false currency rates. He is perceived more and more around the world as the rincarnate of Jimmy Carter who was the weakest and most ineffective president of my lifetime.

I agree that he has taken some steps against the Taliban in Afghanistan, but I'm not sure how effective those have been or will be. The Afghan government is tilting more toward the Taliban becoming part of the government which would be disasterous for our side. Again, more because of the gaffs of Obama.

His treatment of Israel hasn't lead to any real changes in Isreali policy. If anything it seems to have strengthened their resolve to go it any way they want to. The Gaza blockade is the perfect example of this.

Obama in the anti-Teddy Roosevelt. Obams speaks loudly and carries a little stick.

9. Brewster

Brewster I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0

Actually the follow up from Steve was, "Oh sure...but have you ever shot a moose?" "Yeah, I thought not pinko.....".

10. gabesz

gabesz Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Some may not like the Bush years and that is their right. However in the bit over a year that Obama has been in office he has created a huge deficit in the US budget that we will never get out of in our lifetimes. He is spending and spending like there is no tomorrow and he has no idea on how to stop spending. He slapped the banks and insurance companies on the hand and they are all laughing at him. Goldman Sachs got intro trouble due to their greed and yet they paid out the highest possible bonuses this year to an average of $500,000 per employee. The bonuses they alone paid out would help solve most of the oil spill expenses in the Gulf. What did Obama do about this-nothing.

Obama is also responsible for creating the so called Health Insurance plan for all of us. Those without health plans expected instant relief. Sorry that will not happen for 4 more years. At the same time insurance companies are going to drop smaller groups so you can go with the government sponsored plan with of course less coverage then you have now. Insurance companies will also increase deductibles for the coming year. And this is all thanks to Obama an his cronies Ried and the plastic lady Pelosi.

Sorry but this guy is not really popular as he thinks and many who voted for him are really disappointed in what he is delivering vs. what he promised.

As for the middle east, trust me Israel will do whatever they want and the US will sit by and watch them clean up the mess we made. And Israel has the guts to clean up the middle east. The only reason they never did is because they are being held back by the US since we need the oil from the middle east to feed our ever growing need for energy because we are afraid to look at alternate means since that is too expensive and its cheaper to keep the Saudis and the Arab nations happy with our money.

As for China they will eventually control all since they are now the biggest creditors to the US. Yes they will own us soon too.

So if you support Obama keep all this in mind when you try to learn Chinese to speak with your creditors and speak Arabic to fill up your gas tanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice