Whale Shark Tours

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, May 28, 2010.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    What have those living in Cancun found to be the best and most economical choices for whale shark tours? This looks like one of those things not to be missed, and we'll be having family in, soon.

2. kathy_caribe

kathy_caribe Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm pretty sure that Wayne over on Isla is reporting few to no whale sharks yet, and sounded upset (like they should be here already). I thought the season was much more of a July/August season, but maybe it is different (June) on Isla (as they're a bit south of Holbox).

At any rate, CC is a fiend for the sharkies - I'll bet she'll be along soon with lots of good info or just check her blog. I think she did it last year?

3. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Probably the best and probably the most popular is to go from Isla Holbox. But during the WS season, hotels are pretty costly compared to the rest of the year.

You can take the bus, the Oriente line I believe it is, to Chiquila and then the ferry to the island. Both reasonable. I can tell you privately who I would suggest once there.

I have been on a private boat a few times and it is a pretty awesome experience. We to to the Isla Contoy area and have seen many "tour" boats while coming, going and there. If you take a private boat don't be surprised if the harbor police or whatever they are called, stop the boat and make sure the boat has all of its paperwork in order and sufficient and proper safety equipment. They also make sure that the capitan is not running an unlicensed tour business.

4. TomT

TomT Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Someone here on Isla Mujeres mentioned a newspaper report that says they're still approximately 40 miles from the island, and normally at this point in time they're 8 to 12 miles...so it does seem they're behind schedule, although July is official start of the season for them.

Captain Tony's family here has been running tours for generations. I'm thinking about going this year, and would definitely go with him.

5. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm a bit of a freak for the whale sharks (so says Kathy, haha). The season really starts the first week of June though many tour providers say May 20. The cheapest way I have found (for locals!) is to go to Isla Mujeres, find a guy selling tours and ask for the locals' price. Last year the cheapest response I got was 900 pesos, IF I brought a group of five or more.

I do recommend going to Isla Holbox though, it is one of my favourite places on earth and worth the trip for the island alone. Tours were going for about $125 USD from there last year (or was it the year before? time flies....)

Steve sells whale shark tours through this site, highly recommend tourists booking through here.

I haven't read the news about the sharks being that far out, hopefully they'll be here soon as it is an absolutely incredible experience.

6. kathy_caribe

kathy_caribe Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, it was a wicked long and cold winter, so that's not terribly surprising. I'm LOVING the warm though.

7. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Season

Looks like it may still be a little early in the season for these guests, but we definitely want to do this, ourselves, later this summer. The idea of swimming, in the open sea (always a little unnerving to me, anyway), accompanying these great animals, must be an incredible experience.

CC, and others, where do you recommend people stay, if they visit Holbox- also on our "to do" list, this year.

8. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    We love Holbox and have stayed in many different places. However prices this year for hotels do seem to have gone up a great deal. eg Xaloc quoted us 1600 pesos per night for a room- last year we paid 1000 pesos .!
    We did the Whale shark tour from Punta Sam (Cancun) with CC through a company called eco colours- it saves getting a ferry over to Isla Mujeres or driving all the way to Holbox. It was a lonnnnnnnng way on the boat though before we saw the sharks.

Its a great experience- one I also hope to repeat this year.

9. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As Tracey said, it was LONG boat ride and we witnessed (and experienced) quite a bit of seasickness. Recommend Gravol for sure. It was very cool to be that far out in open sea, no visible land and the water is a completely different colour blue (very deep blue, more like dark sapphire than turquoise).

The hotels are expensive on Holbox, but if you can rough it a bit you can stay at the Ida y Vuelta campground. They have tents available and small cabanas. Must try the lobster pizza at Edelyn's, one of the most popular restaurants on the island. Remember there are no bank machines or banks on Holbox, cash is king.

10. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    HOLBOX HOTELS:

I have stayed at Las Tortugas. Pretty basic, no air cond., no TV, ceiling fans, balcony and a very friendly staff.

Next to Las Tortugas is Mawimbe. Nice place to hang out. Outdoor caual early dining. Owners Carmelo and Ornella, are friends of Eddie's, who you met a couple of months ago. About the same price as Tortugas; maybe a few $$ more. I rate it a step above Tortugas.

I also have stayed in a place that was cheaper than both of the above, but cannot recall the name. I just call it Lino's after the Italian owner. About as basic as you can get. A step below the first two, but acceptable in a very basic sort of way.

Also, on the other end of the price spectrum, is Paraiso del Mar. I had a Master Suite and it was awesome. Free standing, on the beach, like a 2 story villa. It was north of $2,000 Mxn per night and not in Whale Shark Season. Had a killer breakfast buffet that I cannot remember if it was included or not. There was live entertainment on the weekends. Not sure if it gets any better than this place.

But, I met a lady named Sandra there one time and she has a place even more expensive than Paraiso. Casa Sandra I think it is called but I don't remember seeing it, even driving past.

No more often than you will go there for the whale sharks, I say pay the big bucks and go first class.

Transportation on the island is motorbikes and golf carts. You will see gas powered delivery vehicles but they are on and off the island the same day. No paved streets.

Take bug spray. The official bird of Holbox is the mosquito.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice