Mexican Immigration Changes Coming

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by RiverGirl, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos

Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I see that the online renewal form has a space for your CURP number. So is it going to be a requirement to have one before applying? Kathy, did you have one on your submission?

2. kathy_caribe

kathy_caribe Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was told (basically) the same thing yesterday. I did get my FM3 stamped but she said I had to get it replaced immediately. she also did not give me the other side of the FMM form. I thought we were supposed to get it back (just like the tourists) but she said no. She said that when I leave again, I'll fill out new paperwork (like the red form). I still don't know if that is correct or not.

At any rate, I'll be off to INM on Monday to see whats what with the FM3s and hope I didn't need the other side of the FMM form.

Oh, and there was absolutely NO interview at all and the wait was really short - like under an hour (plane landed at 1520 and I was outside (after getting the red light with a bike, 2 checked bags, 1 carryon and a laptop) by 1650.

3. kathy_caribe

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't know if it is a requirement or not. I happened to have my CURP on me so i did put that on th eform.

4. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Doesn't look like you will: that's one of the things that's mentioned in the video.

5. kathy_caribe

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Oh good. I was pretty fried by that point and wasn't sure which end was up. :) And since I expected a 2 hour wait in INM, I waited outside another 40 min for my famdamily. But dayum, Skippy. It sho nuff is GRRRRRREAT to be home again.

6. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Grrrrr! Thanks for reporting back. And I'm glad your line was short. Fewer and fewer flights are landing right now, so the slowdown in flights is cutting back on the wait times.

I guess we shall see what happens when people start heading to INM about this and begin to report back. But it's crazy and stupid that they would make us go get the cards now AND it goes against what their own memo says and what the bosses are saying.

I'm thinking I should scan and post this memo so all of you can carry it around and point to it when an INM agent gives you crap.

INM is so ridiculous.

The new stamps that INM issued to agents last Saturday (May 1) are rated for 8000 stamps. Some of them are already breaking. Agents regularly document 1000 passengers a day. For each passenger they must stamp 3 times (on the passport or FM2/3 and twice on the FMM), so they will often use that stamp 3000 times per shift. Buying stamps rated for 8000 stamps was, um, stupid.

As my husband says, too often, "they are a bunch of wankers."

7. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Hot as can be, right now, but everything looks really green and beautiful, doesn't it, in this amazing Caribbean sunlight! Nothing quite like it, is there.
    Tsk, tsk, RG, now where is he getting these English lessons? Not from you, I'm sure. He been attendin' some of the boys rugby matches?

8. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    May be a pointless question.. but...

What was wrong with the old stamps? Too big for the new forms or something?

Glad to hear the lines are easing up, hopefully when my mom arrives she'll get through there without too much drama...

9. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    He's always had lots of low class Brit friends, he attracts them like flies.

Yeah, that logical thinking never gets you or me anywhere, why can't we learn??

I think the new stamps have some kind of high security expensive ink (they are multi-colored), and the shape they stamp is more square, while the old ones were a wider rectangle. I think the stamps were designed to fit the spot for them on the FMM. Recall that the old FMT didn't have a specific place you had to stamp. But the new FMM forces the agent to slow down and actually AIM where they put that stamp.

One thing about the new squarer stamps is that you cannot fit too many on a page in your FM2/3, while you could get 8 or 10 of the old stamps on a single page. The agent is required to place the stamp in a clean area where it can be read later if need be. They make a huge deal out of the stamps, each is unique and is assigned to a specific agent. Anyway our FM2/3 booklets will fill up with stamps really fast with these new stamps, so we will be wanting to switch to the new cards.

What day of the week is your mom coming? If it's a weekend afternoon there will be a wait, almost guaranteed. If it's midweek and between 2 pm and 7 pm there might be a wait. If it's mid-week and earlier or later she probably won't have a wait.

10. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    She's coming on a Friday.. not sure what time yet.... I guess there doesn't need to be a need or reason to change things. I honestly don't get what the big deal about a stamp or "special ink" is in this day an age where everything is tracked by computers anyway. I don't think the forging of Mexican stamps is a big industry... especially when its so easy in Mexico to just have an official "help you out" :biggrinbandit: with such things... on the other hand.. that 8000 use stamp "problem" may be all part of the "deal" that supplier made with whoever does the appropriations for these things, as is often the case in Mexico. Sort of like how they pave the roads with a centimeter of asphalt so they can get hired to do it again in 6 months... and everyone involved goes home happy... :icon_rolleyes: the Mexican twist on "planned obsolescence" :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice