Mexican Immigration Changes Coming

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by RiverGirl, Apr 22, 2010.

1. kathy_caribe

kathy_caribe Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Kathy - The link in there just goes to the root of the INM site. I messed around in Tramites section I did see that you can do some requests online but not too many. What request did you make? Can you provide a more specific url?

3. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Websearch

RG, you can get there by going to search, within the website, and typing in, "solicitudes de tramites". Looks to me like it's all there.

4. kathy_caribe

kathy_caribe Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sorry - they all open in separate windows.

I started at that site, then selected from the little pop up, this link
    Instituto Nacional de Migración
    Then I went to Instituto Nacional de Migración from the top right hand column - the very first selection under "Temas de Interes"
    which gets you to Instituto Nacional de Migración
    From there you can download a PDF or select "conocer los requisitos...." which gets you to Instituto Nacional de Migración

From there, I selected "EEUU", then "vivir en Mexico", then "de manera permanente", then "rentista", then the last option (I'm in MExico with a current form and I want to amplify it). On the page that last option brings up, under "Requisitos", I click on FORMATO DE ESTANCIA which opens this page http://setram.inami.gob.mx:8080/solicitudes-web/estancia.html in a new window. Once I fill that form out, I get a number and an option to print. Selecting the option to print will bring up the document in Adobe which you can then either save or print or, I guess, whatever. :)

I guess I'll find out on Monday if I've selected everything correctly or not - who knows; maybe I've just filled out a form to marry the president. :)

5. heatandsun

heatandsun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Here's my experience from last night

I left Mexico on April 28, using the old red form with my FM3. When I came in last night, they said the red form was worthless, and tore it up in front of me. I filled out an FMM, which they took (and did not give me the 'other' half). They stamped my FM3 book and said this would be the last stamp, and I have only 30 days to replace my book. I said I thought the book could be used until it expires, in December. They said No, I have to replace it now, and I have 30 days to do so. I am leaving again in a month, and they said that I might have the new card by then, but there are lots of people going to the office.

So, I guess I will be contacting Mauricio to see if I was given wrong information, or what I do so I can leave in a month and not have problems. Seems they should have let the books stay in use until expiry to prevent a rush on demand, but unless I hear otherwise, those wishing to travel seem to need the new card regardless of the date on the FM3 book.

6. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Exiting while FM3 "in process"

I have a personal interest in how this turns out, as my wife will return from abroad in less than three weeks; then, will leave Mexico, again, three weeks later. Under prior procedures, this was not particularly a problem in that INM would give you an exit/entry permit (letter) you could use for a single trip while your FM3 was being processed.

In any case, if it turns out to be true that it will be necessary to renew- immediately upon her return- she, and others, must be prepared with the evidence needed for renewal, when they get back, and before they go to INM to renew: that may mean such things as gathering bank statements before returning to Mexico, for some people.

[I sure hope it turns out not to be true, what Heat was told, and that our booklets will continue to have validity until the expiry date: otherwise, those poor people at INM are just going to be dying.]

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  7. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    NOT TRUE! Check with Mauricio anyway and then come back and tell us what he says.

But I know the answer is that the agent didn't read the memo (the one I wasn't supposed to read, the one I have sitting here on the table in front of me). I've stated over and over in this thread that INM has not trained the agents in the new changes.

There were a couple of training sessions two weeks ago and very few of the agents who work at the airport showed up for those sessions, the attendance rate among INM agents working at the airport was about 10% (to their credit the training sessions were on their days off and they did not get paid to attend them). So 90% of the agents working at the airport did not get the training. Lack of training is the problem here, that INM agent did not have his/her facts straight.

That agent was probably also tired and grumpy and wanted to make you jump. The new forms, new software and new rules are making it take 3 times longer to process each passenger than under the old system (yes, it really is 3 times longer, they are timing it). And there's nowhere near enough staff in INM at the airport. They have something like 2 people quitting every day there right now.

My pal in INM has asked your specific question of the INM bosses and the answer is that if your FM2/3 was issued prior to April 30, 2010 then it will be good until the expiration date in it. That is also what it says in the memo issued to all agents by INM.

Here's the Spanish from the memo, in case you don't believe my translation:
    Please check with Mauricio and report back, but I am confident that your FM3 is valid until the expiration date listed in it.

8. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    That language you quoted us, RG, sure looks clear enough to me. Thanks.

V.

9. heatandsun

heatandsun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mauricio is checking

I believe what RG is saying but there was nothing I could do last night to challenge them other than to say that I was under the impression my book would be used until it expires and both agents standing there said I was wrong. They were actually very friendly, no problems there.

And I noticed that they have gone back to just stamping the papers and not asking any questions of the tourists - there was no lineup and I was the last to finish up because of the FM3 issue.

I will post what Mauricio finds out today, he thinks they are wrong too but is going to check it out.

PS. I'm wondering if the book is only valid until expiry OR until the holder travels outside Mexico - not sure there is anything specific about that. Will see what Mauricio comes up with.

Sue

10. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There's no need to confront them on this, it won't change anything. They will figure out the rules eventually, after a few conflicts with immigrants like you. Did you happen to notice the names of either of the agents (please pm me if you did)?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice