Mexican Immigration Changes Coming

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by RiverGirl, Apr 22, 2010.

1. playagrandma

playagrandma Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    fm3

Hi just found this site and I am so greatful. So much useful information

on this topic after months of rumors. I am in the states and will be

returning next Sunday. I dont arrive until 7:30 at night, so I am hoping

the lines wont be too long. I have an FM3. Do I need to also fill out the

form. I am confused on that one. Will the process be never than the

tourist and I assume I will need to still return my exit paper.

Also my fm3 is up for renewal the end of June. Will the new cards or

whatever it is be ready by then? Thank you for your time

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    New form

Hi, RG, that was really nice of you to take the trouble to scan this new form so we could see it, ahead of time. And, yes, thanks to the extra effort to get it really big on our screens, I can read it easily!

3. kathy_caribe

kathy_caribe Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am returning on Thursday so I'll post my experience, but from what I understand, yes, we need to fill out the FMM also. I am assuming we will also be returning our red forms en leiu of the green 1/2 of the new FMM - that is our "new" red form. No idea about the FM3 cards, but I'm renewing this month and we'll see on that.

4. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Maybe RG's spies can tell us if the local office got a new card printer for those already, unless they are all going thru DF.. in which case we should expect HUGE delays in processing and mailing...

5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You will need to fill out the new FMM form. I *think* you could just throw the red form away right now, but don't. Bring it in case the agent wants to see it. The new rule is that the red form is over and done with, but given how inefficient the new system is the agent may still want to see your old form.

I have no information about how soon FM2/3 holders will be getting their cards. Given how INM is rushing to change everything at once I expect that all renewals from here on out will get the cards. And INM is spending plenty on new hardware and new stamps so I think we can expect them to end up with an FM2/3 card making machine in the Centro office. I will try to find out more about this issue.

Glad you can read it, I experimented with different sizes, I wanted to post something more like 800px wide, but it was too difficult to read at that res. So I pushed it up. I figure other bloggers will be swiping my scan so I may as well start with something big enough to be useful to everyone.

6. Alma Libre

Alma Libre Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  7. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Wow, they sure pack a lot of information into that video; I think I may have to watch it three-four times to catch all of it.

Thanks, Rob, for coming up with it. Proves again there's a wealth of information available through official Mexican Government websites, when we can figure out how to navigate them.

8. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The VAST, VAST majority of foreigners entering Mexico are simply tourists coming from countries that do not need a Visa. So imho the primary focus of that video should have been on the needs of that group.

And I especially love how each group needs to fill out the FMM differently. That's not going to cause confusion, nooooo.

I got some more info about the new rules. INM issued a memo (which I swear I didn't read, really) it says, in part:

1. Consulates will continue to issue FM2/3s in book form until July 31, 2010.
    2. Consulates will continue to issue renewals of FM2/3s (in book form) until July 31, 2010.
    3. FM2/3s issued in INM offices or in Consulates before April 30, 2010 will be valid until the expiration date listed in them.
    4. FM2/3s holders will use the FMM form when they enter Mexico.
    5. INM offices will issue FM2/3s in card form beginning April 30, 2010, this includes new issues, renewals, changes, etc.

Some points:
    - Number 3 is the one most of us here care about. It means our FM2/3s are valid until they expire, we will not need to go in early to get cards, we will keep traveling with our FM2/3 booklets..
    - Number 5 reads as though the local INM office must already have the card-making machine because ALL the FM2/3s they issue, change or renew will be now given in card form.

9. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So the existing FM2 inmigrado cards are still valid for whatever part of the 10 years they have left I assume just as the existing fm3 books are...?

Thanks for all of the info btw RG...

10. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hmmm...the memo that I wasn't supposed to read didn't address those. But I think it's safe to assume they are, for now at least.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice