Oil spill Cancun

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by ncsurf, Apr 29, 2010.

1. ncsurf

ncsurf Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    anyone think the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico will have an impact on the Cancun beaches. I heard on the news last night it may be spreading to the shores of the islands.

2. ThePittsburghKid

ThePittsburghKid Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I hope it doesnt, it would really suck if it did. I will have to keep a close eye out. If so I think we will be going to Los Cabos instead!!!

3. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
  4. rdubnpk

rdubnpk Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    rdubnpk
    That is correct. Unless a change in wind direction causes a change in the slicks direction, it is expected to threaten the mouth of the Mississippi River (the delta area) by Thursday night. It currently is about three miles from the Louisiana coast. We here in the Florida Panhandle are concerned that some residue might make it our way before it is over with. The well is still pouring out oil and BP has been unable, so far, to divert or cap it. The powers that be, including "let's find alternative energy sources" President Obama, were recently giving the nod to drilling within 2 to 3 miles of our coast line. If you saw how beautiful our beaches are, you would see why a good many of us just can't believe they would ever take such a chance. Needless to say, I will not vote for Obama again if he should run. He is just bowing to the Republicans to try and salvage a few Democratic seats in the next election. To answer your question, it would take a monsoon wind blowing continuously from the northeast for days for any of this to threaten Cancun.

5. ncsurf

ncsurf Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    good, I just read on yahoo news that it did hit the US shores so sounds like it is heading opposite direction from Cancun. Either way it sucks because a lot of wildlife are in danger, hopefully they can do something soon to stop it.

6. rdubnpk

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    rdubnpk
    Heard this morning that the well continues to leak about 5000 gallons per day and it could be months before the flow is stopped. It ain't looking pretty!

7. rdubnpk

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    rdubnpk
    And just to qualify a previous statement...I won't vote for Obama again unless her opponent is Sarah Palin or someone equally inane.

8. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
  9. justjimmy

justjimmy Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Barrels

rdubnpk...

5000 barrels a day, not gallons. 1 barrel=55 gallons:blueshock:

Jimmy

10. Brewster

Brewster I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Man...and they call our oil dirty...

But joking aside, what a horrible tragedy. That rig had state of the art GPS positioning thrusters. The very latest of everything available. Still not enough.

Sincere sympathies to the families and friends of those that lost their lives. I hope they get it capped soon.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice