bringing in a desktop

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by kathy_caribe, Apr 26, 2010.

1. kathy_caribe

kathy_caribe Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I can still get XP on new IBM and Dell machines. Most of the platforms I work on and the software I use only supports XP. It is an industry issue.

For Epic - I absolutely MUST have XP Pro. I would like a Core 2, minimum of 320GB HD, CPU that supports W7 XP (like an E7500 or higher) with minimum 2MB cache, minimum 2GB RAM, minimum 2 USBs but I'd prefer 4, and I'm pretty easy on the rest. I'd like a SFF but not ultra. I'd prefer not to have a tower, but I'm flexible there. Wireless would be nice. Graphics is not an issue.

2. kathy_caribe

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I can get XP in the US but not from Dell MExico. they were the first place I checked. :) I'd be tempted to downgrade a machine I buy here but I've been looking everwhere (like the HP Slimline) and the CPUs are antiquated and the downgrading looks tricky as the machines sold here are specific to Mexico and I'm not finding anything on google about downgrading them. Otherwise I'd totally buy here.

3. Epic

Epic Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I sent an email to my computer guy also known as Dr. Chip, real nice guy and as soon as i hear back i will let you know.

4. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you're talking about the Dr. Chip who's on the first glorietta as you leave the HZ, he's a good guy to know and buy from.

5. kathy_caribe

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would prefer to spend my hard-earned (converted) pesos here in this economy, but not to the point that I'm overpaying. I really appreciate you forwarding my request, Epic. That is very kind.

I priced a system I found on IBM's site at Dell Mexico - the price was double the US IBM system.

6. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ??????????????????:huh:

IBM no longer makes desktops or notebooks. Even if they did, why would Dell be selling them? Why would IBM have a site on Dell Mexico? Why would Dell have anything to do with its old arch rival. It was partially Dell's success that drove IBM out of the consumer hardware business.

Steve said he was not able to order Mexican delivery from Dell Mexico. Where would Dell Mexico deliver? East Grinstead? Swansea? Bognor Regis?

I'm getting more and more confused....

7. kathy_caribe

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok, I'm old school. IBM=Lenovo. I found a system (ThinkCentre M58e) which, when configured with the same options (other than XP, beacuse Dell Mexico does not offer XP, but Dell US does) as a computer on teh Dell Mexico website was 1/2 the price on the US Lenovo site. AND it came with XP. You can still purchase new machines from both IBM (Lenovo) and Dell in the US with XP Pro loaded.

8. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Still confused. Are you saying Dell's Mexico site lists Lenovo computers for sale? Please show me the link?

As for IBM = Lenovo: The inter-relationship between the 2 companies ended years ago. They have nothing to do with each other, are not in each others' markets and do no technology sharing. As a one-time member of an IBM family I can also state that the build quality of IBM desktops and notebooks has never been equaled by Lenovo as Lenovo has moved down-market, even with the vaunted ThinkPad line, once revered by businesses and now just another commodity laptop.

9. kathy_caribe

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No, Dell Mexico does not sell IBM computers.

We have 2 T43s, 2 T30s (not used), 1 T40 (broken) and 2 T42s. We're a die-hard Thinkpad family. Well, the husbandito has a Mac. But he's a rebel. I know the quality of the Lenovo line is nothing like IBM's but I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place needing more computing power but also XP. So it is either IBM or DEll or have someone build me a machine. Hopefully Mr. Chip will come up with something that works for me. I've built machines in the past but only in the US where you could pop down to Frys for an new power supply or CPU or RAM or whatever. Here, without the availability of parts, I wouldn't even think of it.

10. Epic

Epic Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sorry for the Delay but this is what Dr. Chip came up with:

Computadora Personal con Procesador Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93 Ghz, Motherboard Intel DG41RQ en caja, Memoria RAM Kingston de 4 gb DDR2 800 Mhz, Disco Duro Seagate Barracuda SATA 7,200 RPM 320 Gb, Gabinete ATX negro/plata 450W, Teclado, Mouse, Monitor AOC LCD Active Matrix Widescreen 16” $8,000.00 instalado y configurado.

if you are interested send me a PM & i will send you his contact info so you can contact him directly. He,s Store recently got robbed so its temporarily closed but he is still doing on site Installs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice